The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Martin D-18 pickguard blues: got a scan?

My ineptly-applied pickguard needs to be replaced on my '72 D-18. It is brand new from the luthier, and it is peeling up on three edges.

The work was done by a shop not authorized by Martin as a repair center, so I am boned when it comes to warranty, and am on my own now.

Circumstances with a move prevent me from the expensive and time consuming business of getting it back to him for rework.

And the two Martin shops I have in my path, one in Hampshire, IL (far NW Chicagoland) and Ft Myers, FL (an hour from where we are moving) are uncooperative because they are all backed up with work and are saying this pickguard replacement is a one- to three-month wait.

Martin in Nazareth tells me they will only sell what I need to an authorized service center shop.

What I want is an oversized pick guard for my '72 D-18, already cut. I don't want a blank because I have nothing from which to make a template. The loose one on my instrument now is "standard sized" and I can see the outline around its edges, somewheres a 1/4" away, where the previous guard was.

StewMac does not sell what I need. I spoke with them.

My specs for the size are as follows: 2-3/8" R. for the rosette, overall length 7-3/16" from sharp tip to bottom bulb furthest reach, depth 3-1/2" from lower end tip of rosette cut to belly at bottom.

Do you know who sells such a pick guard? With a template I can get made what I need.

PM me if you can help. Thanks!

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-22-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Elderly sells oversized pickguards.

Rb
Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Contact Holter Pickguards. Nobody does a better pickguard then he does !
Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Cannot find a way to contact Holter. Got a link?

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Cannot find a way to contact Holter. Got a link?
[email protected]. Taylor Mullins runs Holter Pickguards, and he does amazing work - send him an email!!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:35 AM

I doubt that C.F. Martin would replace a pickguard on a 46 year old D-18 under warranty. Just guessing but they would probably say that it's normal wear and tear.

LMI in California has a great selection of pickguards of all sizes and types. They also have bulk pickguard material with adhesive on the back side.

I recently purchased two black pickguards from them for my '67 D-35 and '68 -00-21, both of which have shrunk up. The new ones are vinyl and are a perfect replacement for the original.

I fear that Martin would laugh at me if I asked them to replace pickguards on two 50+ year old guitars.

I love the Martin company but everyone knows that their warranty practices have changed dramatically in recent years.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM

Any good Tech should be able to cut out a pick guard of any size or shape and install it on your guitar.

Cut your losses on the old guard and go to a different Tech and have the work done.
It isn't a very expensive project.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Ebay and Reverb have thousands of pickguards listed. You could probably find an oversized one, that would fit your D-18, on one of these sites.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 PM

Don't put an oversize guard on it ! Can't you make a paper template the follows the original lines ? I hate oversize pickguards.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
I doubt that C.F. Martin would replace a pickguard on a 46 year old D-18 under warranty. Just guessing but they would probably say that it's normal wear and tear.

LMI in California has a great selection of pickguards of all sizes and types. They also have bulk pickguard material with adhesive on the back side.

I recently purchased two black pickguards from them for my '67 D-35 and '68 -00-21, both of which have shrunk up. The new ones are vinyl and are a perfect replacement for the original.

I fear that Martin would laugh at me if I asked them to replace pickguards on two 50+ year old guitars.

I love the Martin company but everyone knows that their warranty practices have changed dramatically in recent years.
If you are the original owner of a Martin guitar, they certainly will replace a shrinking, curling pickguard under warranty. I have both a '75 D-28 and a '75 Martin A mandolin and Martin replaced both pick guards at no charge to me. The guitar was 40 years old at the time of replacement.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM

They would have replaced the original but that went away in the stealth fixup my kids did in 2004. Whoever fixed top cracks then removed it and replaced it with an oversized one.

Martin confirmed for me that since my guitar got worked on by two different unauthorized shops, the last one being Bryan Kimsey's, they would not warrant any pickguard work now.

BTW, thanks to Bryan for an excellent neck reset and straightening via compression fretting.

Too bad the new pickguard came loose all over but stuff happens.

I found a source, Alloy + Carbon Products, a maker of carbon fiber pickguards, willing to make what I need for a great price, and ordered one. I used my CAD program to make a pattern that matches exactly the previous shape (the oversized one that replaced the original) perfectly, and they're matching it.

I'll do the replacement myself. CME directed me to a nearby Chicago luthier that quoted me $150 for the job!

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-24-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitluther View Post
Don't put an oversize guard on it ! Can't you make a paper template the follows the original lines ? I hate oversize pickguards.
The original black pick guard on my '75 D-28 was under the finish. It curled up and exposed the bare wood. An authorized repairman removed it, then finished the bare wood underneath. He then installed a very slightly oversized pick guard to hide the outline of the original.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion