The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2018, 03:29 PM

Default Sound hole pick-ups

New to this "electronic thing", other than 40 yrs. ago with my ES 335.
I just purchased a Tonewood Amp package which includes a Fishman Neo-D humbucking pick-up (because none of my acoustics have pick-ups).
(I'd really prefer not to hear negative opinions on the Tonewood, please--I'm enjoying what it does currently.)
I like what I'm hearing from the Neo-D, but wonder if there is another sound hole pick-up considered better/superior? Rather than switch the pick-up off of one guitar to another, I figure it's a modest investment to purchase another pick-up. So far, I find myself using the Plate Reverb and the Delay functions predominantly.
Any suggestions? (Thanks.)

Last edited by Naboz; 03-20-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: for clarity in description
Old 03-20-2018, 03:42 PM

If you like what your hearing trust your ears and stick with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM

The Neo D produces a good sound but is a passive pickup. I prefer the Fishman a Rare Earth humbucker active which means it has a preamp. This will create a much hotter signal so you can use less volume at the amp. The rare earth is also thinner and more slender than the neo D so it’s less obtrusive. I use these in 2 of my guitars with excellent results. I keep the highs turned down as they tend to accentuate them too much. Good luck.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Although I'm not familiar with the Fishman Neo-D, I have used LR Baggs M1 and M80 soundhole pickups. I find I like the M80 best.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

The Sunrise pickup and the DiMarzio Black Angel pickup are both excellent.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 AM

+1 to what Al says above - I have the DiMarzio Black Angel and love it.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

The problem with the Neo-D is that it does not have adjustable pole pieces, consequently if one string is hotter than the others, (usually the B) there's little you can do about it. If you like the sound you're getting from a sound hole pickup, explore one with adjustable pole pieces such as the Baggs M1.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 AM

Thanks all. I wondered about the adjustable poles (yes, my B is a little "hotter" than the high E).
Is there a good source to read up on the differences? I want to keep it as simple as possible; no pre-amp or additional batteries or cords (the Tonewood uses 3 AA). I'm still vacillating between being straight acoustic vs. affects.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
Thanks all. I wondered about the adjustable poles (yes, my B is a little "hotter" than the high E).
Is there a good source to read up on the differences? I want to keep it as simple as possible; no pre-amp or additional batteries or cords (the Tonewood uses 3 AA). I'm still vacillating between being straight acoustic vs. affects.
In that case, my recommendation is an active pickup such as the Baggs M1a or M80, both of which I have used; others might have different suggestions. Yes, a battery is involved, but it's a flat watch-type battery within the pickup itself, not something installed elsewhere in the guitar. Acoustic vs effected acoustic is a personal decision you have to make, but I'd advise that you go easy, starting with reverb, delay and chorus one at a time.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 AM

i have used fishmans rare earth blend (magmic)
but could never fall in love with it.
I use the sunrise and the baggs m80
and really like both of those. you can adjust
the poles on both and sort of "pre eq" if you will.
i removed the b string pole completely and
dialed down the E and g strings.
the m80 can be active or passive (switchable)
i generally run it passive but i use a preamp.
The sunrise won't pick up body sounds.
the m80 does. so if you are a percussive
player the m80 would be a good choice.
The fishman active pups use small batteries if i recall.
the m80 uses 2032 flat washer type. i find them easier to find
any where and fit other stuff like my clip on tuner. more convenient.
I will reserve my comments on the tonewood at your request...

Last edited by varmonter; 03-21-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks again all, for plenty of options to think about.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

When I researched soundhole pickups for my (then) brand new Goodall Grand Concert, I tried a fair number of the current offerings, including the Baggs M1 and M1a, the MiSi and the Duncan Mag-Mic.

For my tastes, the Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic was the one that sounded the best; it has a microphone on the underside of the magnetic pickup, with a blend and volume control. I didn't have to put much of the mic in the signal to have it sound a lot more "acoustic-y" then most mag-type soundhole pickups.

A little pricey, but good.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 PM

It doesn't get mentioned a lot, but the Schertler soundhole is by far my favourite of the soundhole pickups. Its very good out the box, but with the optional little plug-in mic it becomes a really fantastic pickup (and i'm not really a soundhole pickup kinda guy)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi Naboz!

* If you research my posts, I've shared several videos and notes on the M80...I've used different mags over my years of performing and the M80's features & tone overall is my fav.

** Non-adjustable poles are a definite deal breaker for me because no two guitars are alike and getting OPTIMAL balance is a key factor in helping to achieve a good stage tone...the M80 & Dimarzio Angel achieve nice warmth and balance this way.

*** Lite weight is important to me and the M80 is one of the lighter dual coil mags...there is no detectable affect/dampening on the unplugged tone with the M80, I leave it in 100% of the time on my D18. In addition, these mags are very low to noiseless and are very anti-feedback; a must for what I do.

**** I like the small disc style battery as well as the indicator and the option to go passive, tho I prefer active so as to have use of the volume control.

***** The percussive nature is a plus for my style of play and the pick up placement does not impede my natural way of string attack so I don't hit the pickup and make clicking noise...this aspect may understandably be a negative for others with different styles.

***** the M80 is plug n play direct into my Loudbox and has a nice warm low end and is only detectable as to a "mag tone" when striking 1st & 2nd strings hard with a pick. Flesh fingerstyle playing truly shines with the M80...like most pickups, a fair amount of mid-cut improves the sound; I sometimes use a Boss AD-2 which also enhances the tone some but is not necessary and I use it sparingly on some occasions.

****** While looks are truly subjective, I like the non-techy black approach that Baggs took with the M80, setting it apart to look more vintage with it's creamy, ivoroid color...I also like the tortoise look that Dimarzio uses with it's Angel mag.

Hope some of these key points are informative, best wishes!

Here is a live sample of the M80 in my D18 plugged straight into my Loudbox Performer, no further eq or processing...very warm and natural imo. Listen close with earbudz to the intro single note tones and then I move my arm forward to strum. I've always played this way naturally regardless of mag or any pickup...it jus' works for me tho ymmv.

eric

Last edited by noledog; 03-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Hey Eric--noledog!
I'm playing it real simple, and I couldn't pass up another Neo-D for $33 (store demo model)! Sometime down the road I might try something else. But additional amps and their accompanying cords and electricity feel so binding after being pure acoustic wood and steel for 40 yrs. The Tonewood and 3 AA batteries are going to let me get used to an affected sound.
That D-18 sure does sound nice with your sweet little adlibs rollin' the notes on a fair wind (I looked at some of your YouTube videos). Roll on in good health.

It seems our (college) teams are hookin' up again; Noles and the Wolverines to get into the Final Four.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification