The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Tube Tone With Out Tubes

An article not for the faint hearted, but interesting...

http://www.edn.com/design/analog/443...-without-tubes
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 PM

of course, these pedals were mostly used with tube amps, so that raises a big, HUH? would they turn solid state ones into tubes? uh, no! could you like them with any amp you use? of course since everything on the AGF is subjective. i just don't think so.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-03-2015, 09:45 PM

The (click-bait) article ends by stating that tube sound only comes from tubes.

Tube sound only comes from tubes. Acoustic sound only comes from acoustics. Vinyl sound only comes from vinyl albums. Only organic carrots will taste like organic carrots. Only me will sound like me.

rock on . . . . . . . . .

*everything* is a tone control
Old 07-03-2015, 10:40 PM

It's possible to make gold in a nuclear reactor.

But it's easier and cheaper just to go and get some gold.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:01 PM

Wow... Pretty simplistic and narrow view of what tube tone is.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:20 AM

You guys are missing the point. The circuits that are used to create distortion without overdriving an actual tube amp are astoundingly simple, even the DSP based pedals, and all of them have their following of boutique minor variations. It is just an interesting look inside the little "black boxes". An actual circuit simulation of a simple tube amp, like a Tweed Deluxe, is still way beyond real time (and maybe impossible with acceptable phase delay). I found the piecewise DSP equation at the end interesting because even from a casual look you can see that it is not symmetric, which would be characteristic of overdriving a single final preamp tube stage, and I expected something more nuanced to combine class-A distortion of a final preamp stage with class A-B symmetrical distortion of a push-pull power amp (typical of everything more powerful than a Fender Champ).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 AM

There's a pretty good description of Line6's modelling equations on page 3.

BTW, as an EE and designer myself, I'll say that EE's have been talking / arguing about the whole tube / SS / modeling thing just as long as everyone else!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 07-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Basically, the difference comes down to this: tube amps increase voltage, or the pressure of electrons flowing through a circuit, while transistors increase amperage or current. The significant difference is that if you hook your amp up to an oscilloscope and watch the differences in the sine wave it measures as you turn the volume up, once you pass the "clipping point" on a tube amp, the peaks and troughs of your signal will tend to flatten out, while on a solid-state amp they will get more pointy. Signal clipping is a strange sort of phenomenon. For some reason, when it occurs in a tube amp, you tend to lose some fidelity on your upper-order harmonics, while a solid-state amp will keep them intact and make them louder, and it's this characteristic which produces that "spikier" sound when a solid-state amp distorts.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
once you pass the "clipping point" on a tube amp, the peaks and troughs of your signal will tend to flatten out, while on a solid-state amp they will get more pointy.
I don't know about that.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I don't know about that.
I do

Old 07-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
I do
Well when scope a SS amp going into clipping I get squared off peaks, where the supply rails have no more to give. Not sure where the voltage comes from to get pointy above that.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM

IMO, Tube tone without Tubes is a classic example of an Oxymoron.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Well when scope a SS amp going into clipping I get squared off peaks, where the supply rails have no more to give. Not sure where the voltage comes from to get pointy above that.
There is way more to it than this, but you did notice that the SS devices produce squared off peaks. Did you manage to notice that tube devices when overdriven produce rounded off peaks? Hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
IMO, Tube tone without Tubes is a classic example of an Oxymoron.
You got that right!!!!! :-)

Old 07-07-2015, 09:46 PM

Much of getting a great guitar sound with tubes has to do with using tube rectifiers which sag when the signals run hot. This effect creates a natural compression. Speakers are part of the sound as well. I used a Zoom modeler years ago with a reissue Bassman 4x10 and it sounded killer. Some of the best rock guitar sounds I have ever heard. The Bassman makes a huge difference in the sound. Diodes do not sag. This makes for more headroom but less sweetness and no compression. When CBS took over Fender they switched to higher voltages for more power which resulted in louder amps with less tonal color.

While the digital domain is ripe for modeling a real guitar sound requires hardware not just DSP algorithms.

Last edited by jetcode; 07-07-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
Much of getting a great guitar sound with tubes has to do with using tube rectifiers which sag when the signals run hot. This effect creates a natural compression. Speakers are part of the sound as well. I used a Zoom modeler years ago with a reissue Bassman 4x10 and it sounded killer. Some of the best rock guitar sounds I have ever heard. The Bassman makes a huge difference in the sound. Diodes do not sag. This makes for more headroom but less sweetness and no compression. When CBS took over Fender they switched to higher voltages for more power which resulted in louder amps with less tonal color.

While the digital domain is ripe for modeling a real guitar sound requires hardware not just DSP algorithms.
Yeah even an electric guitar is ultimately heard acoustically.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars