The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 AM

These days, you can buy a lot of guitar on the used market for around $200 - $350. Used MIM and Classic Vibe Strats and Teles fall in this range, as do the midrange offerings from Epiphone (LP/ SG Special or Standard, etc.).

Other companies like LTD and Schecter make very good "Gibsonish/ Fenderish" guitars that hold up very well, and there are some good off-brand/ reissue companies, such as Eastwood/ Airline, that can provide something more unique and funky.

The problem with those variax-type thingies is you are likely to notice the obsolescence factor over time -- as their approximation of a wide range of tones through digital manipulation inevitably becomes old news, like those "organ" tones from an 80s or 90s synth.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
That's why I said keep the Taylor and add the Tele. For gigging I'd have both for sure.
Not that I don't agree, but, again, if you'd read the thread, ....

I can't keep the Taylor and buy something else. I love it but it's too pretty and in great shape and all my guitar money is basically tied up in it. SO I may get a 200-series Taylor as my acoustic. I have plenty of choices on that front and want to pick the best one.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM

It seems that any reasonable electric guitar with a modeling board like the Line 6 HD500 would do the trick.

Of your choices listed in your original post, I would not get the T5 (I have one). Any of the other ones would work. I would favor getting one with a piezo just for the variety.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM

I've owned a MIM Strat and MIM Tele and they were not as nice sounding or as playable as my American-made strat. Classic Vibes are supposed to be great though. For colour, what about getting used pedals - wah - delay - distortion (never know when you'll need it - tremolo - flanger. If you can find a used Boss ME-50 multi-effect they have some decent, some great, but some not-so-great effects...but it's good value (around 125.00 here).
Old 10-07-2015, 02:55 PM

Guys, these are all great suggestions. As a former Ibanez Artist and Telecaster owner, I appreciate the reminder and will look at models there. I've never owned a Strat and maybe now it's time to look. Thanks so much for the input!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:40 PM

You can't go wrong with a reverse control plate Telecaster. These are one of the best deals going right now, MIM, only sold at GC. Just read the reviews.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/S...-Telecaster.gc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars