The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-17-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It is, but the thread is about repertoire, not building/repair. Nice project though. Have fun with it.
I need to be ‘working on’ hall kinds of things....car, house, garden but instead I have the new music books I mentioned in a previous post above.......

A quick report.......I have most of Hal Leonard fingerpicking for.....books, intermediate fingerpicking arrangements of all kinds of stuff! Book vouchers blown, even my own coins! A fave is Beatles for fingerpicking....

So I got on the Tool in November the second and logged on to my online book site, looked for more Beatles etc fingerpicking, nope, got everything. (Plus all the Latin, Blues, Jazz, Broadway, Classical, Movie, Country.....worked away on them plus other things for err...quite a while. A week or 2.......

Why they are generally fabulous, one small thing that annoys is.......turning the page halfway through a verse etc. When I get sick of this stuff, I have all kinds of music books but often I will grab a real book and work on the lead, add my own...everything. (Previous blues improviser lead guitarist in early life).

And so, there it was online, and I don’t have it - ‘The Beatles Fake Book’.

Ooh!

And linked was the ‘Beatles Chord Fake Book’.

Ooh!

Press buy! And there was linked another - ‘The Coffee Shop Companion Fake Book’ .......May as well buy that while I am at it!

All arrived last Wed, working through since........The Beatles Chord one is too small a book, ok but disappointed. The Beatle Fake is way too small a typeface...ok but disappointed.....the vision of sitting with them somewhere, anywhere on a music stand is over!

Then we tried the Coffee House Companion....ha, perfect size, layout, font size, nice paper, page turns good for a comb bind, lots of well known tunes, many I have no idea, but here WE GO! I will play the melodies and work them out!

Bin Thru The Desert with a ...horse, ney, ney? ....joke ...Lowden S35 this morning, Ramirez later!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 02-17-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
You get the prize for most challenging work! By far. Good for you.

The Gnossienne arrangement I'm working on is also by Dyens. His was by far the best conceived transcription. Thankfully, a lot easier under the fingers than Felicidade.
Dyens was a real force.
One commenter described him as:
"The hands of a classical guitarist with the mind of a jazz musician".
That sums him up well.
Good luck with Felicidade!
Thanks. Yes it is a challenge. Hopefully I'll end up with something worthwhile. If not, at least it will be a good sight-reading exercise.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-18-2024, 05:52 AM

In Sorrow’s Wake—Andrew York
Misionera—Fernando Bustamante
The Girl from Ipanema
Let It Be—Paul McCartney
Hejira—Andrew York

Anyone else enjoy Andrew York’s music as much as I seem to?
Old 02-18-2024, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
The Girl from Ipanema
Let It Be—Paul McCartney
Hejira—Andrew York

I do! I'm also a member of his den, which has been a real virtual treat. He's a brilliant person and puts out high quality stuff, and, in addition to being a gifted composer and virtuoso classical player, also has a varied background in jazz, blues and rock. Side interests are mathematics and physics. Who knows what else. A true Renaissance man.
I also have a number of his pieces on rotation. "Home" I mentioned, since I've been focusing on that one lately and plan to record it. "Andecy" as well. His compositional range is wide and I find his "easy" stuff to also have great depth and a challenge to play cleanly and well.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-18-2024, 12:44 PM

Mostly Argentinian folk music lately. Segeras, Fleury, Rizzuti, Rosati stuff like that.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
The Girl from Ipanema
Let It Be—Paul McCartney
Hejira—Andrew York

Yes, I'm also a big fan. I started playing a several of his pieces (Andecy, Squares Suspended, Woven World, Home, Sunday Morning Overcast, parts of a few others) about 5 years ago, but haven't played them recently. Definitely need to get back to them, especially Home.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-18-2024, 03:54 PM

Fun to read the list.
I'm working on learning every note on the fret board.
And
Correct finger position for cords - I was getting sloppy

Have gotten into the 60ies protest songs: Pete Seeger, Joan Baez

I know it doesn't sound classical but I'm working on my music reading heading for more difficult pieces.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:08 AM

Mind shifted gears again, now I'm working on creating a relatively easy arrangement of Chopin's Nocturne in Eb...well, in E.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Mind shifted gears again, now I'm working on creating a relatively easy arrangement of Chopin's Nocturne in Eb...well, in E.
Is it his famous one? Opus 9 No. 2?

Relatively easy....Emphasis on relatively?

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 02-21-2024, 09:47 AM

Right now I'm just trying to stay alive.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Is it his famous one? Opus 9 No. 2?

Relatively easy....Emphasis on relatively?

That's the one...Definitely an emphasis on relatively...I found Tarrega's arrangement and it's...really tough. I found another that's dumbed down to the bare bones of the piece...it's ok...but not the same...

I think there's a way for me to play it that lies somewhere in between...

So lots of play and experimentation, and a lot of listening to the original to understand what are the truly non-negotiable elements. It's just for my fun anyway...I think it's one of the best melodies ever written.

Some might find this blasphemous, but I do think it's a piece that can be interpreted...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-21-2024, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
That's the one...Definitely an emphasis on relatively...I found Tarrega's arrangement and it's...really tough. I found another that's dumbed down to the bare bones of the piece...it's ok...but not the same...

I think there's a way for me to play it that lies somewhere in between...

So lots of play and experimentation, and a lot of listening to the original to understand what are the truly non-negotiable elements. It's just for my fun anyway...I think it's one of the best melodies ever written.

Some might find this blasphemous, but I do think it's a piece that can be interpreted...

Blasphemous?
Quite the opposite. Thanks for sharing that clip. Imo, this represents the ultimate confirmation of a work's true musical depth and value. I think Chopin would have loved it!
And you're right that it's one of the great melodies ever written. You're also correct in pointing out how challenging it is, technically especially in the second half, but even just nailing the feel and ornamentation.
I have a couple of guitar transcriptions of this piece, both in E major. You may have already come across them.
This one is the "easier" of the two. (The notation is in E major as well, not sure why he wrote Eb) This kid has great touch.

This is also excellent, but arguably more complex. Lopes is no slouch.

But go for it. Let your creativity take you where you want to. That's what great music is all about.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 02-21-2024, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Blue Sky by the Allman Bros. On electric.

Lots of Tom Petty songs on acoustic.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:38 PM

a few nesting boxes this week

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical