The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tuck Away Pick

I've been trying to learn how to tuck my pick between my fingers while fingerpicking, then pull out the pick for strumming. Does any here use this technique. The pick keeps falling out, though sometimes it stays put. Any tips would be great appreciated.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
I've been trying to learn how to tuck my pick between my fingers while fingerpicking, then pull out the pick for strumming. Does any here use this technique. The pick keeps falling out, though sometimes it stays put. Any tips would be great appreciated.

Interested in this....

I tried to learn last year. I abandoned the technique in your picture in favor of wedging it between my curled finger joint and palm to finger crease of my ring finger. I could never get quick enough to move it back and forth from a picking grip to this fingerstyle holding place to satisfy the music. I never got good enough at that style, either though.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster

Last edited by skitoolong; 05-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I gave up on that idea after trying it for a while.

My guitar teacher didn't much like the idea for the reason that it imposes a restriction on the hand and fingers, and, is hard to hold onto.

That said, I know a number of guitarists that have mastered it and I can guess it was persistence in practice.

My current solution is to leave the pick on my knee until I want it.

My future solution is to develop my flatpicking skills such that I can pick all those notes my fingers once did.

good luck and let us know if you found a nifty trick to share.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM

I'm a barefingers picker for life so no dog in this fight, but have 2 thoughts:

1. Along the lines of Amy's post, one of the best pickers I've had the pleasure to be around was a buddy back in Wisconsin whose picking style I believe was what some call "blended." He'd keep a flatpick between thumb and forefinger and then use the other 3 fingers for fleshing out the chord structure and the melody. He's also a stellar lead player, so this approach allows him shift seamlessly into lead. Just a joy to watch/hear.

2. Another WI buddy and I jammed for a few hours one day and then spent about a half hour playing and replaying a segment of a video featuring Buddy Guy playing live. He's like a magician going from playing with a flatpick to storing the flatpick while he fingerpicks for a bit then !Woah! the flatpick reappears. I sorta remember that we figured out he was palming the flatpick. Suggest you maybe hit youtube and look for live footage.

Hmm. One post featuring 3 buddies. ;-}

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

I hold mine with between my curled pinky finger and the palm of my hand, but I guess that could be restrictive to some folk's playing styles. It works for me, anyways.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Seeing as I use mainly middle and ring for my fingerpicking style, I can easily tuck the pick in my curled index finger.

But I don't play many songs which require switching from fingerpicking to pick. If I'm fingerpicking a large part of a tune, I'd probably make do without a pick at all, and use fingers or thumb for any other picking/strummng involved; or I'd pick the chords in some way instead of strumming them.
Alternatively, for a tune that's mostly strummed, with just a little fingerstyle - and if I can't get the pick in my index in time - I might attempt hybrid picking, which is what Random1693 describes in his example #1.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post

1. Along the lines of Amy's post, one of the best pickers I've had the pleasure to be around was a buddy back in Wisconsin whose picking style I believe was what some call "blended." He'd keep a flatpick between thumb and forefinger and then use the other 3 fingers for fleshing out the chord structure and the melody. He's also a stellar lead player, so this approach allows him shift seamlessly into lead. Just a joy to watch/hear.

I tried this last night (just spent about 5 minutes to see what it felt like).

I think I can work with this. It gives me the the pick for E, A, D and my other three for the G, B, and e. I can see where the middle would need to cover the D occasionally but thanks, great call.

BTW, I have no idea if this is the right way to do this, but it felt good to me.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
I tried this last night (just spent about 5 minutes to see what it felt like).

I think I can work with this. It gives me the the pick for E, A, D and my other three for the G, B, and e. I can see where the middle would need to cover the D occasionally but thanks, great call.

BTW, I have no idea if this is the right way to do this, but it felt good to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_picking
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...picking+guitar
Old 05-29-2015, 07:56 PM

Well, how about that. Thanks.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 AM

Just noodling... I sometimes find that I'm holding the pick with my index finger and playing with thumb, middle finger and ring finger. The index finger seems to be my only finger that bends enough to let me hold the pick with only one finger.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post

2. Another WI buddy and I jammed for a few hours one day and then spent about a half hour playing and replaying a segment of a video featuring Buddy Guy playing live. He's like a magician going from playing with a flatpick to storing the flatpick while he fingerpicks for a bit then !Woah! the flatpick reappears. I sorta remember that we figured out he was palming the flatpick. Suggest you maybe hit youtube and look for live footage.

This is called hybrid picking and is the basis of country playing. I suggest you learn hybrid picking.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've become quite adept at sticking the pick in my mouth for fingerstyle and grabbing it back for pick playing. I don't really play hybrid but there is is surprising amount of stuff that requires me to use pick and fingers together in the genres I play.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 AM

Keeping the pick in your mouth could be problematic if you want to sing too...
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You just stick it in the corner of your mouth and it's no tribble at all.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write