The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Butterfly Finger Picks - Review

Background - I've been working to develop my fingerstyle technique and repertoire. I have tried a variety of both metal and plastic finger/thumb picks - no luck. About a year in, I realized that I was wearing the picks 'upside down - how embarrassing! Still no luck. Despite the various trials and failures with finger/thumbpicks, I've developed a fingerstyle method which uses the fleshy pads of fingers and thumb almost exclusively. I can even manage a reasonable volume and tone. Problem - I've been playing so much fingerstyle that I developed blisters, especially on my thumb. Enter the latest trial 'Butterfly Finger Picks'.

Relatively expensive, especially for out-of-USA folks like me. A not too bad $4 per pick USD came to $29 after international shipping and currency exchange costs. Fortunately, I did not have to pay sales tax or HST.

Make sure you go to butterfly finger picks. There are some copycats out there. I found the website easy to navigate, and the instructions were comprehensive. The order was confirmed by email and tracking link. The picks arrived in 7 days - a record - in a mailer envelope with the picks safe in a small protective hardshell case.

The picks are nicely formed with great workmanship. A caveat - the pick require forming to fit and conform to each finger. I had to read an re-read the instructions and tips several times and it took several hours to get them just right. It's my guess that they may need frequent fiddling.

Now to the question, "How did they feel/ play?" I had better luck playing than with any other I've tried. They still were difficult. With some experimentation with pick fittings and adjusting the angles of the fingers I could play roughly. I removed all but the thumb pick and ring finger, and I could play pretty well with a good sound.

They are not a magic potion for fingerstyle players who use their fleshy pads, but they hold promise. I'm going to keep working with them to try and get comfortable with them.

steve

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 04-29-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much.
I sort of suspected that there were no magic solutions, but it sounds like these picks might be just as useful as some of the other popular brands.
Maybe it's time to shoo the moths out of my wallet and buy some.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the review they do look interesting.
Do they give a good tone? The rounded tips would suggest that they might give a softer tone compared to standard metal finger picks.
PS. The link you have given doesn't work.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
PS. The link you have given doesn't work.
http://www.butterflyfingerpicks.com/
Old 04-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Do they give a good tone? The rounded tips would suggest that they might give a softer tone compared to standard metal finger picks.
I've been pleased with the tone - better volume and attack, without sounding too metallic.

Steve
Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 AM

A friend gave me his Butterfly Picks when he couldn't get used to them. I passed them on to another friend in short order when I had much the same experience. I like the idea, and perhaps didn't give them enough time, but I'm happier with my bare fingers and nails.

cotten
Old 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM

I love my butterflies. Yes you do have to fiddle with them. By the time I got mine right, they don't look near as pretty as when they came out of their cool container. I play with friends most Tuesdays. We usually have from 5 to 7 players. I never bothered with fingerpicking songs because I couldn't generate enough volume. The butterflies enable me to do that. Folks that use clawhammer type back strums won't like them because that action will likely pull them off your fingers. It doesn't matter what color you get because they all turn to copper once the finish wears off. There are other butterfly threads here and some folks think they are a god-send and others put them in a drawer with no interest to pursue them any farther.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM

I ordered a few. I am optimistic that these will work with my playing style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2015, 05:38 AM

I biffed them the 2nd day only because I forgot to the first day. But, I suckered myself into buying them making at least one person happy. Call it a win.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write