The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
You need to start with The Guitar Phase 1 (and then Phase 2).
Are you referring to Berklee Basic Guitar: Phase 1 and Phase 2?

I have Berklee Basic Guitar and Modern Method, and I agree, Basic Guitar is a gentler introduction, though similar.

You can use the Look Inside feature on Amazon to get a good sampling of what's in Mel Bay and the Berklee books. I think it's actually good to have some variety: I like to switch back and forth so I don't get bored or too frustrated.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Are you referring to Berklee Basic Guitar: Phase 1 and Phase 2?

I have Berklee Basic Guitar and Modern Method, and I agree, Basic Guitar is a gentler introduction, though similar.

You can use the Look Inside feature on Amazon to get a good sampling of what's in Mel Bay and the Berklee books. I think it's actually good to have some variety: I like to switch back and forth so I don't get bored or too frustrated.
Yes...that's the first 2 in the series. My copies are old and just called "The Guitar: Phase 1" (and phase 2). I just checked and they have indeed renamed them to Berklee Basic Guitar.

I start all my beginner students with Phase 1. Advanced students I will start with A Modern Method for Guitar, Volume 1.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
That's funny, I always felt the Mel Bay books jumped around without rhyme or reason & didn't seem to stick with a new concept long enough make it work. I guess it's all in the way you approach it & what you're looking for from the books.

BTW, if you are a beginner jumping into the books alone, Modern Method is not for you. You need to start with The Guitar Phase 1 (and then Phase 2). The Modern Method books were meant for advanced students who already have a solid grasp of basic music concepts & guitar techniques. Consider that 1st year guitar students at Berklee start with Modern Method Vol. 1.

You need to consider all the Leavitt books in the order they were meant to be consumed or else you're comparing apples to oranges. The complete Leavitt method is:
The Guitar, Phase 1 > The Guitar, Phase 2 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 2 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 3

And you also want to consider the supplemental books: Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies, Advanced Reading Studies, Classical Studies for Pick-style Guitar. These were meant to go hand in hand with the other books, starting with the Modern Method books.

So, when you put all that together - the Leavitt books have far more material & cover a lot more ground that the Mel Bay. Plus, they cover techniques and material that you'd experience in real world playing scenarios (like pickup gigs, GB bands, theater pit bands, et al).
Hi Steve, did you use the old version of Mel Bay books or its new expanded version? The expanded version has been added almost half more contents than the old one.

Last edited by mrkpower; 07-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
That's funny, I always felt the Mel Bay books jumped around without rhyme or reason & didn't seem to stick with a new concept long enough make it work. I guess it's all in the way you approach it & what you're looking for from the books.

BTW, if you are a beginner jumping into the books alone, Modern Method is not for you. You need to start with The Guitar Phase 1 (and then Phase 2). The Modern Method books were meant for advanced students who already have a solid grasp of basic music concepts & guitar techniques. Consider that 1st year guitar students at Berklee start with Modern Method Vol. 1.

You need to consider all the Leavitt books in the order they were meant to be consumed or else you're comparing apples to oranges. The complete Leavitt method is:
The Guitar, Phase 1 > The Guitar, Phase 2 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 2 > A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 3

And you also want to consider the supplemental books: Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies, Advanced Reading Studies, Classical Studies for Pick-style Guitar. These were meant to go hand in hand with the other books, starting with the Modern Method books.

So, when you put all that together - the Leavitt books have far more material & cover a lot more ground that the Mel Bay. Plus, they cover techniques and material that you'd experience in real world playing scenarios (like pickup gigs, GB bands, theater pit bands, et al).

this is a very useful post, thanks indeed!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
Hi Steve, did you use the old version of Mel Bay books or its new expanded version? The expanded version has been added almost half more contents than the old one.
I constantly look through all the method books available to see if I'm tempted to switch my students to something better. In fact, I was looking through the new Mel Bay books about a month ago while waiting for my students. I still think it moves along without rhyme or reason. Again, that's my take as a teacher who looks down the road at where I want my students to land in a year/3 years/5 years/et al.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write