The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Default Who here has bought/used the Flatpicking Essentials series?

I have been hearing a lot about this instructional series lately but I was wondering if anyone here used it and how they liked it? I looked at the books and they look like they would be great, but as a broke college kid $25 is a decent cbunk of change so I want to make sure that I would be happy with the investment. Thanks in advance!
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Fantastic Series

It's a fantastic series! It's worth every penny. I have been using it for a few months. I am done with volume 1 and now working my way through volume 2. I really love this series. I am not a beginner, but the volume 1 showed me how to incorporate bass runs in your rhythm. Also concepts of rest stroke, all the different G runs - it's amazing. Volume 2 teaches carter style. After going halfway through volume 2, I have been able to make carter style arrangements for some of the songs I already know. A small problem I find with volume 2 is this: Dan (the author) asks the readers to listen to the original fiddle tunes before attempting the transcribed versions in the book, but I cannot find the original fiddle tunes for many of the songs. Probably they could have provided those along with the book. Still I suggest, go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM

prsplayer12,

I can recommend the series without reservation if you want to become a better flatpicker in the bluegrass style. It is very thorough, practical, and most importantly it's fun. I began the series about a year ago and my playing has improved noticeably as a result. And more importantly, I understand what I'm doing on the guitar and how to play as a group member. It's the real deal.

Greg
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM

I'm still working through Volume 1 myself. I love it so far and have learned a lot from it.

Cary
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM

Great! Thanks for the replies everyone. I have worked my way through three of Steve Kaufman's DVD's and one from TrueFire so I was thinking about just starting with the 2nd book, but it sounds like there is some stuff in the 1st that I didn't pick up on before, and it could never hurt to get a little more practice of the basics. I did some looking around and found that flatpickingmercantile.com actually sells the 1st and 2nd lessons together for only $38 instead of $49 so I'll probably just go ahead and invest in both.

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Best thing going IMHO. The "Tone and Technique" volume is definitely an essential. Flatpicking is mostly about the right hand. If you don't get that right you'll have a lot of difficulty.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucklebilly View Post
Best thing going IMHO. The "Tone and Technique" volume is definitely an essential. Flatpicking is mostly about the right hand. If you don't get that right you'll have a lot of difficulty.
I agree with Huck about it being the best thing out there. That's because Dan Miller does something that no one else does... he explains how to improvise along those melody lines.

As far as the "Tone and Technique" volume I didn't see that in any of the volumes currently being offered:

1. Rhythms, Bass Runs and Fill Licks
2. Carter Style and Beyond
3. Flatpicking Fiddle Tunes
4. Understanding the Fingerboard and Moving up the Neck
5. Improvisation and Style Studies
6. Improvisation Part 2 and Advanced Techniques
7. Advanced Rhythm and Chord Studies
8. Introduction to Swing and Jazz.

http://flatpickingmercantile.com/Mer...egory_Code=FPE
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Sounds great!

I didn't see any Tone and Technique either, Toby, but either way I'm excited. Just placed an order for the "Starter Pack" with Volumes 1 & 2!

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsplayer12 View Post
I want to make sure that I would be happy with the investment. Thanks in advance!
Depends on what you want to learn, of course. The FE series requires the student's active participation, including working things out in your head before your fingers get there. It is not a collection of licks and lead lines. I think it is very, very good. My reservation is that after several months of diligent practice exactly as described in Volumes 1 and 2, I was still lousy at on-the-fly improvising, especially if the tempo is fast, or it is the first time hearing the tune.

Here's an alternative: I really like the way Mike Miz plays guitar, so I bought his course: http://www.bluegrassguitarsecrets.com/main.php
So far, I've only watched the first exercise that he recommends, but it alone is worth the way more than the cost of the course. I'm not going to steal Mike's work by decribing it, but after a few weeks of practicing it my improv ability improved to a level that I can see how it's possible to play tasteful breaks on-the-fly, even for fast songs that I've never heard before.

FE will help you make cool breaks on songs you know, bluegrassguitarsecrets will help you fake breaks on songs you don't know or if the tempo is too fast. They are not exclusive; each supports the other.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsplayer12 View Post
Sounds great!

I didn't see any Tone and Technique either, Toby, but either way I'm excited. Just placed an order for the "Starter Pack" with Volumes 1 & 2!
I think you'll love the series prsplayer. Take it slowly... step by step and enjoy the journey.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
As far as the "Tone and Technique" volume I didn't see that in any of the volumes currently being offered:
http://flatpickingmercantile.com/Mer...tegory_Code=01

This is the one. It's one the best books I've ever come across.
Definitely worthy of purchase.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM

I bought the pdf version of book 1 ($19) about a week ago. I'm really having difficulties with right hand picking accuracy. I also bought a book of 22 easy carter style solos but they are real difficult for me. I guess I'll take it real slow and see how I progress.
I really want to learn carter style so I can do folk songs and hymns.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I agree with Huck about it being the best thing out there. That's because Dan Miller does something that no one else does... he explains how to improvise along those melody lines.
Toby has pointed out the main theme that strings through the series. Dan, along with Tim May, teach and encourage you to improvise -- right off the bat in Vol. 1. The series has been my departure point from memorized tab to attempting my own breaks.

Greg
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the PDF formatted downloads and printed them. I assume they are US Letter sized format and wanted to know if there was enough room in the margin when scaled to A4 to spirral bind them.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM

mastercaster, I've had similar things to do in the past and have found the easiest thing to do is take them to a local print shop and ask them to do it. They can scale it or usually print it direct to letter, and the cost is not much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write