The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Toby Walker's Lessons - Let's Discuss Pt. 2

Here we go folks . . . the original folder is too big now so I'm starting "Part 2" on the suggestion of the moderators.

Thanks to Toby and everyone for making this thread so great.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Gee, imagine that.

Thanks Blueser, for starting the original and now this one. I truly enjoy answering the questions and reading the comments.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 PM

I'll chime in. I'm 2 days into Toby's "Take a Solo" lesson from Homespun and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I've only scratched the surface so far, but within the first 10 minutes of the lesson I've had at least 2 or 3 epiphanies relating to scales and how to use them to develop a fluent solo. If you're like me, and are still working your way towards taking your first guitar solo in a group setting, I highly recommend this lesson.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
I'll chime in. I'm 2 days into Toby's "Take a Solo" lesson from Homespun and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I've only scratched the surface so far, but within the first 10 minutes of the lesson I've had at least 2 or 3 epiphanies relating to scales and how to use them to develop a fluent solo. If you're like me, and are still working your way towards taking your first guitar solo in a group setting, I highly recommend this lesson.
His stuff is like that. I just got his "Blues Finger Picking Freedom" DVDs and just 3 chords into it I pause the DVD and start improvising with what I just learned. Great stuff.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
His stuff is like that. I just got his "Blues Finger Picking Freedom" DVDs and just 3 chords into it I pause the DVD and start improvising with what I just learned. Great stuff.
Yep... that's the whole point of that series. When I do my Blues in the Schools workshops in classrooms I show middle school students who never improvised in their how to play a solo, using the same principles.... no pun intended.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Hi

I have the E pack and Blues 101. I am going on vacation and want to try and get one song down. my question is...

Do the single song lessons go into more detail than the songs in the Epack.

Also wondering if the Toby Walker homespun tapes would be better ?

Thanks

Last edited by carpunky; 05-01-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: wanted to ask another question
Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpunky View Post
Hi

I have the E pack and Blues 101. I am going on vacation and want to try and get one song down. my question is...

Do the single song lessons go into more detail than the songs in the Epack.

Also wondering if the Toby Walker homespun tapes would be better ?

Thanks
The single song lessons go in to just as much detail as any of the songs that you'll find in the E, A, D, G, and C packs. Basically I show you how to play the song and then teach you variations.

The same concept applies to what you'll find in the Homespun lessons.

I go beyond just showing folks how to play songs... there are dozens of teachers out there doing that. I like to show folks how they can make those songs their own by adding countless variations to them and in the process, becoming a more versatile player.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 PM

Wink

Took a first look tonight at Dallas Rag from the "25 more lessons pack." I got the fingerings for the 1st page down. Watching the youtube video helps. Should keep me out of trouble for the next year.

https://youtu.be/ymM5t-XgOeM

I'd like to see a 12 string package, hint hint. Or a lesson on Dying Crapshooter's Blues.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

What are folks working on? I am taking a summer hiatus from classical guitar and need some re-direction into my Toby Walker stuff. I've got all the "packs" but feel overwhelmed with choices. Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
What are folks working on? I am taking a summer hiatus from classical guitar and need some re-direction into my Toby Walker stuff. I've got all the "packs" but feel overwhelmed with choices. Any suggestions?
Good question! I'm in the same position. I had a good list to work on, but they were all kinda longish except for one. I think I'll pick out about 4 tunes and go from there. I have a couple of Toby's dvds also, so I'm overloaded with choices too.

Maybe we should see what a few of us have tab wise and do a group thread. Maybe do one of Toby's arrangements a week or every two weeks on the shorter stuff.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 AM

Default Re-starting BFF#1

Toby - you told me about this sometime ago - Your series has multiple layers and when you review, you pick up more. I hadn't played with BFF #1 for six months or more and today, started from the beginning. That's exactly what happened - somehow, through osmosis, esp or just plain repetition, I'm tying into the next layer of information.

For anyone reading this, go back and review your lessons after x amount of time - it will highlight what you have learned and give you a good idea of where your skills now stand.

Yah - I've actually gotten better; when and how did that happen?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM

I just got the G and Robert Johnson packs but I am still working on the D pack. Stack O Lee is great and I got that down pretty well so I am on to Big Road Blues which I can play the basic version on but trying to throw in D chord in when going up is a bit harder for me. Then when I try the "deluxe" version it is not pretty and my fingers go places they were not supposed to. More work but I will get it over time. Slow is the answer for me.

Midnight Shadow
Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Toby's taking a break from the forum (hopefully a short one), so here's a link to his website if anyone is interested in buying any of his lessons. I think his email is there somewhere too if anyone had any questions on the lessons.

If you really like the old time blues and rag tunes, he is the "go to" guy.

Toby Walker's website

My SoundCloud page

Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

I started working on "Dead Bass in E across the board" from the E Pack. Cool little tune, had it almost all the way down in about an hour or so, a record for me. I'm going to work on this and add some of my own stuff at the end. I had some great ideas that were just outside of consciousness today if you know what I mean.

I'll post in Show and Tell when I get it done.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write