The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Default baritone commison?.....

So i'm a worship leader full time and I play lot's of rock and roll gigs around town, I play at least 30 hours a week in front of people. I've contacted a builder I found out about on the board, and his price is very fair, but however this will be his first jumbo and first baritone. That is a little bit of a stretch seeing how this will be a guitar i will probably have to keep for a looooong time. What do you guys think ? I'm not swimming in money, but I feel I have to potential to sell a lot of guitars for whatever maker might make one. I'm not super good, I just play in front of a LOT of people during the week.

http://www.youtube.com/sprayfe
Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayfe View Post
So i'm a worship leader full time and I play lot's of rock and roll gigs around town, I play at least 30 hours a week in front of people. I've contacted a builder I found out about on the board, and his price is very fair, but however this will be his first jumbo and first baritone. That is a little bit of a stretch seeing how this will be a guitar i will probably have to keep for a looooong time. What do you guys think ? I'm not swimming in money, but I feel I have to potential to sell a lot of guitars for whatever maker might make one. I'm not super good, I just play in front of a LOT of people during the week.

Honestly... I would find a maker with experience in style of guitar unless he is willing to give you a money back guarantee.
Ibanez Artcore semi hollow body.
Yamaha GC-40A (with a hole in the side)
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Have you tried Matt Mustapick? I know he has made several baritones and he sponsors this forum too!
Great guy, give him a ring.
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Me

What tuning and scale length are you thinking about?

If you are going down to B, then it needs to be a pretty big box to support the bass. If you are going with a D tuning and about 28" scale, you can get by with a deep dread or even a deep small jumbo.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Pray hard and ask the builder as many questions as are needed to make your decision.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM

that was alot of input fast! thanks so much,

I am thinking about a 27.5 or so, I had a tacoma, and It was just HUGE. A little too huge. Sounded a little bit muddy in a band setting. Unless anyone knows of anything used?
Thanks again, and keep the input coming.
rafe
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Me

What tuning are you thinking about?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 PM

The tacoma was B-B , I think C-C would be nice and different enough form my geetars.
Rafe
Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 PM

Rafe,

You and Jess are awesome together. I loved every video I could find of you together. I can see why you're in demand to play in front of so many people all week long.

With a baritone, be sure that your builder uses woods that will provide great balance while not allowing the guitar to be dominated by a boomy bottom end. Also, be sure that the woods chosen present a more fundamentally dominated tone rather than a tone with a strong harmonic blanket that can create a muddy or overly complexed situation...especially in a band application.

I look forward to hearing you perform with the baritone guitar. You're a great performer and Jess works perfectly with your vocal style.

I'm a fan, my friend.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Santa Cruz makes a a baritone that's a Bob Brozeman signature model. My understanding is that Brozeman came to them with the idea and his own specifications and he and Dan Roberts and Richard Hoover worked out the details together. So, you might try Santa Cruz. If you go on their player's forum, you can post questions for Dan Roberts about it and he'll give you the details. There have also been a couple of threads there discussing this model. You might also check out Artisan Guitars in Nashville. They had a used one listed that's just today been put on hold. Just a suggestion, but you might give Bill Warmouth a call there and see if that sale falls through, I'm sure he'll give you a call. If nothing else, he's a great guy to talk to and a real fount of information. There are very few people who know SC's as well. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM

It sounds like you've got some experience playing a baritone and it's worked well for your style. I've not thought of a baritone as a particularly good guitar to strum hard and accompany singing. The lower register might get muddy and jangly with that kind of chording. If you've found it works, cool.

My recommendation would be Matt Mustapick. I've hardly put my baritone down since I got it.

http://www.mustapickguitars.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 AM

Another vote for Matt Mustapick...I have a Redwood/Ziricote baritone that is amazing...

My second Mustapick is due in about a month...oh the agony of the last few weeks.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher View Post
With a baritone, be sure that your builder uses woods that will provide great balance while not allowing the guitar to be dominated by a boomy bottom end.
Kevin, I hear you are building a pretty mean baritone right now!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi Rafe...
Interestingly, Soundman48's Tony Vine baritone sitting in my living room while he is on a trip. It was also Tony's first baritone, and I'd think if you contact Soundman48 he'd have some great suggestions for you.

It was the first baritone I've had the opportunity to play at length, and it's a hoot. His is Walnut/Spruce and he uses it for worship leading as well as just fun and enjoyable playing.

He's been out of town all week for a business trip (which led him our way and I'm babysitting the guitar). He will be back home by next week, and I'm thinking he'd have some great input.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Be Careful!

Some luthiers that post here don't even know the difference between a 000 & an OM. I'd fear of their possible assumptions in taking on the task of building a baritone.......

I'd add a third vote/ endorsement for Matt Mustapick. He definitely knows what he's doing........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion