The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Testing the waters ... 00-28VS?

Just trying to get a feel for what I can expect to pay for one of these guys used. If you were interested in selling yours what would the price be used? Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Courtesy bump.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default 00-28VS

You bet, that's why I want to know what is out there and at what price
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 PM

A worthy guitar to seek!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Haven't seen one of these pop here in quite some time. I owned one - great guitars if you like the wider nut width.

Based on my experience as someone that (like you) did the Want To Buy ad, bought one, and eventually sold it, I would expect the asking price on a guitar in great condition here to start somewhere around $2,500 give or take and sell for a few hundred less.

This is assuming great condition and stock, ie: no custom features.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Default 0028VS ...$?

It amazes me sometimes how hard I am to convince -- even when it's just me doing the persuading. I started trying these guys about a year and a half ago; I loved the first one I played, and each one since has confirmed that. And yet I've rambled through in search of something that just might be even better -- well, could be, but so what!

Anyway, I played one again this morning and surprise, surprise -- I still really like them. Now I just have to see what the used price is these days and ramp up the guitar fund for that purpose. Could have done this any number of times in this period, but I'm ready now. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind you can buy a new one for 40% off list. Used needs to be less than that.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
Keep in mind you can buy a new one for 40% off list. Used needs to be less than that.

Exactly...and that's a reality that far too many sellers of used guitars don't seem to understand or don't want to acknowledge...

I'm sorry if someone paid too much for theirs from the wrong dealer, but I'm not wiling to pay a higher than new price for a used guitar...when I've suggested to a couple of sellers that they need to come down off the price I can buy new, they've acted like I'm committing armed robbery...

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-22-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Deleted specifics
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Methos1979 -- I thought maybe in that range, but wasn't sure. I like the whole package, so I hope to zero in on one before too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Haven't seen one of these pop here in quite some time. I owned one - great guitars if you like the wider nut width.

Based on my experience as someone that (like you) did the Want To Buy ad, bought one, and eventually sold it, I would expect the asking price on a guitar in great condition here to start somewhere around $2,500 give or take and sell for a few hundred less.

This is assuming great condition and stock, ie: no custom features.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Default 00-28VS

The multiple perspectives are much appreciated; helps to disconnect from habitual patterns and expectations. My parents were old school bargainers and negotiators. I have to confess to letting some of that example recede from my dealings in the marketplace. There is much to be said for a bilateral transaction, particularly between individuals and on used items. There truly is no "fixed price" unless you choose to accept one. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Both John and Denny's posts and opinions are valid. Although most online sellers quote MAP, if you call them they'll often drop down to around 40% off SRP. And sometimes people selling used want more than the guitar might be worth.

So in the case of the 00-28VS you've got $48XX SRP and $36XX MAP and if the 40% rule holds as many claim it does then you're looking at around $29XX new. Then there is the other 'rule' I've heard quoted that (at least with Martin guitars) goes something like guitars in excellent condition should go for 60% or just over half of SRP. That puts the cost of a 00-28VS in great shape right around $2,500.

Of course then human nature, availability, market conditions and of course that 'old school' bargaining you talked about. I'm the same way. I hate 'firm' prices. Most people expect a little dickering and once you embrace that then you can usually work something out. I think I listed mine for $2,400 when I sold it. I always try to make up for shipping, insurance and PayPal fees. I ended up selling that one locally (the rare craigslist success story) for $2,100. Let it go a little cheaper since no shipping or fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired fingers View Post
The multiple perspectives are much appreciated; helps to disconnect from habitual patterns and expectations. My parents were old school bargainers and negotiators. I have to confess to letting some of that example recede from my dealings in the marketplace. There is much to be said for a bilateral transaction, particularly between individuals and on used items. There truly is no "fixed price" unless you choose to accept one. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I think a good price for a used one in mint condition is around $2352. $4899 MSRP x 60% for a new one ($2939) and then another 20% off because it is used. That would make it $2352. I have bought and sold a lot of guitars using this formula (including a 00-28VS). Sellers will usually want more, but if you are somewhat patient, you can usually find sellers that will agree to this price (especially dealers who do not get as emotionally attached to their pricing strategies). Good luck!

YouTube Site
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default 00-28VS

Thanks, CCFingerstyle. Seems like a very solid formula - and fair, particularly with cash being as strong as it presently is. Cheers
Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Well his formula is pretty close. I have a clean 2016 that I would let go for $2500.00 plus shipping. I bought a 000 & 00 and the 000 is what I play the most. You can PM here if interested.

Randy
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM

If you have interest in a Custom Shop 0-28VS, I have one with Carpathian Spruce and Amazon Rosewood, and with full hide glue construction. I actually like the tone of an 0 more than a 00.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars