The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Default Okay, I'm done buying stuff now....

Okay I'm done buying stuff now....

Boss DS-1 distortion pedal

Boss Chorus Ensemble

Dunlop Slash Signature Cry Baby wah-wah pedal

Power supply for wah pedal.

That's it I'm finished. I took a nice long look at my finances and I have no choice but to stop buying stuff. I have enough for a good long while.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-11-2017, 11:22 AM

yes, we've heard that before!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Well this time I mean it !!!

It's paying off bigtime though...I had Slash's guitar sound from "Paradise City" down last night, and today have a really nice acoustic version of "Sweet Child of Mine," I'm going to play out tonight at the senior center. With all this new gear, I can pull up many different sounds....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post

It's paying off bigtime though...I had Slash's guitar sound from "Paradise City" down last night, and today have a really nice acoustic version of "Sweet Child of Mine," I'm going to play out tonight at the senior center. With all this new gear, I can pull up many different sounds....
I play an acoustic version of sweet child and I always introduce it as a flatpicking song from before the turn of the century.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That's it I'm finished. I took a nice long look at my finances and I have no choice but to stop buying stuff.
What'cha got for trade?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
What'cha got for trade?
Nothing. nothing for sale, nothing for trade...I like the idea of having choices of gear at my disposal for when somebody comes over to record.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I bought a used Slash Epiphone Les Paul a few years back. I didn't buy it because of Slash but because of those Alnico Pro II pickups (although I am a Slash fan, especially the tones on the Appetite and Use your Illusions I/II). I'm sure it would sound great in your rig.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Okay just one more thing...Dunlop MXR 10 band EQ foot pedal. I got a really good price on a used one at ebay. NO MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM

That last purchase was a cry for help...
Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 PM

No, it was necessary. Gotta have a decent EQ. That'll help shape the sound very much. You can have all the distortion, wah-wah, reverb, delays, and echo's you want, but an EQ will help tame the sound and pull out unwanted tones. It really is a must have.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:

You'll never really perfect the Slash sound without a dee-luxe pedal board to hold all your pretty pedals. Then you'll be done.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 PM

I've already have a wide Holey Board pedal board that can hold quite a few pedals....I'm planning a section that I'll be able to quickly add or subtract pedals as needed. I already bought a medium sized suitcase to hold unused pedals. Most of the pedal configurations I'll be using only use 4-6 pedals at one time. Sometimes just 2 or 3. The last thing I want is a pedal board with ALL my pedals on it...it'd be huge. remember this is for a home recording rig, not a live rig. So changing pedals back and forth as needed will be commonplace. I did have to buy a couple of 18 volt power supplies for specialty pedals. I already have 9 volt adapters and splitter cables so I have plenty of power.

On YOU TUBE there's a video series called "Sound Like (insert your favorite guitar player here)". These two guys from England, go into a music store and select a rig to sound like the Artist in question. They try to do this on a $1,500 budget, including a guitar, amp, and pedals....sometimes they do it with no budget...they cover many different artists, and usually are spot on with their sound alike attempts. I've gotten many great ideas on which pedals to get from these guys. Some effects are used for multiple artists. In any case they've given me a starting point on which effects to buy. I've walked in to many stores and they have 50 different pedals there to chose from, it becomes overwhelming. The guys in the video series give you some direction on how to navigate thru the many various pedals. I've selected Slash (Guns and Roses), AC-DC, Nirvana, Eric Clapton , and Jimmy Page on artists's sound I'd like to emulate. So there is a method to the madness.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM

I should mention that, I'm not buying everything they recommend but basic units...like phaser, delay, eq, wah pedal, boost pedal... on occasion I'll buy exactly what they recommend like the Octave fuzz, Crybaby wah, etc...

I'm surprised how close I come to getting THAT sound....It really demonstrates to me how much practice I need to get the licks down.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
On YOU TUBE there's a video series called "Sound Like (insert your favorite guitar player here)". These two guys from England, go into a music store and select a rig to sound like the Artist in question.
I think you're talking about the Anderton's videos with Pete and Rabea. Sometimes Chappers and the Captain do them. I like those videos a lot.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Last night I picked up a Fuzzrocious "Feed Me" pedal...

"FEED ME is a tone shaper that takes any signal you feed it and applies a blend of high and low pass filters to provide the user with 20,736 different tone stacks of his/her choice. Yes, that is NOT a typo…20,736 combinations available via the four (4) 12-position rotary potentiometers (those four pointy colored knobs)."

It may take me a while....😂

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars