The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Does anyone care two hoots whether they're included or not? Means absolutely nothing.
John Lydon sent a charming letter to explain why he wouldn't be attending The Sex Pistols induction.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 AM

Apparently, keeping us guessing is keeping us watching .... and talking about it.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I would have been surprised to learn they were in. Never in my life have I run into a friend playing the Moody Blues. Never considered buying an album. Never heard them at a party or on a mix tape. For me that shows they aren't particularly relevant.

I know who they are from one song, but hall of fame? No way.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I would have been surprised to learn they were in. Never in my life have I run into a friend playing the Moody Blues. Never considered buying an album. Never heard them at a party or on a mix tape. For me that shows they aren't particularly relevant.

Maybe check out the rest of their songbook..
I saw them in Lexington a few years back. My ex wife actually took care of the singer in the Emergency room just prior to the concert. He was dehydrated from the flu, came in and got IV's, and then went to the stage. I love the fact they tour and use the local orchestras to play with them. It was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've seen.... and I've seen most of the supergroups...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here are the criteria from their website. Don't see the word "relevant" anywhere; but if that was part of the criteria, there are others who have been inducted that wouldn't make the cut in my mind...

ELIGIBILITY
Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll.

CATEGORIES
Performers
This category honors bands or solo artists which demonstrate musical excellence. Such a descriptor includes (but isn't limited to) influence on other performers or genres; length and depth of career and catalog; stylistic innovations; or superior technique and skills.

Ahmet Ertegun Award
This award (which was formerly known as the non-performer category) honors songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on rock & roll.

Early Influences
These artists pre-date the birth of rock & roll, but have had a profound impact on music's evolution and its iconic artists.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Award for Musical Excellence
This award honors performers, songwriters and producers who have changed the course of music history. These artists have dedicated their lives to creating influential, important music infused with originality, and have achieved a level of timeless distinction.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

When I saw them live it was surprising to see Justin Hayward turn on the "Guitar God" switch ... and how good he was at it.

Tough to find out after all these years I know, but you've been going to the wrong parties.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I've seen the Moody Blues twice in concert, and they are truly amazing. Their fusion of rock music with symphonic performance since the 1960s and still maintaining a full touring schedule would seem to qualify them for inclusion.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

My younger sister's godmother used to live next door to Justin Hayward's mum.

There, aren't you glad you know that?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Does anyone care two hoots whether they're included or not? Means absolutely nothing.
Amen brother, I know I don't.

"Green Day" ...you've got to be kidding

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

I would add the following to those who despite their "greatness" would seem to fall outside of rock and roll:

Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash, Run DMC, Tupac Shakur, Ice Cube, James Taylor, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 AM

All arts-related awards, top ten lists, and HOF things are silly when you think about it. The effort to make art more like sports hardly seems worth it.

One of the chief joys of art is that there's no win or go home imperative. There's no score. There's no title game. You can root for both sides or any number of sides--or decide that there aren't any sides.

The idea of the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame as museum seems good though. The induction speeches are often interesting to me. And the "It's a crime X isn't in, or hurrah, X has been selected" discussion probably helps publicity for the museum. Personally, I agree with the idea that Rock'n'Roll is inherently a broad form. As American music it's continental-wide, ethnically diverse, and something strange might be around the corner. If you look at an Alan Freed playlist, or a typical top 40 from the baby boom's teenage years it's far from one thing. I don't know why it should get less diverse stylistically at time moves on.

As to the Moody Blues, yes, the don't get the amount of respect they should. Tuesday Afternoon, I'm Just a Singer in a Rock'n'Roll Band and Ride My Seesaw are fine singles (and the later has one of the best openings ever and sweet compact guitar solo). Nights In White Satin is something of their McArthur Park issue. It's so nakedly pretentious that you have to confident in your coolness to admit you like it. That that is their best known song is probably one reason they aren't in in the HOF.

A more subtle issue: they feature group harmony vocals, even on the hardest rockers in their catalog. Despite the Beatles, this always seems a to be an issue. Maybe it whispers "boy band" subconsciously to the HOF electors, meaning "it for girls."

I'll admit here they got me with their spoken word sections. As one might guess from current Parlando project, I'm a sucker for spoken word. Also Mellotron.

As to anyone who thinks they are all fey ballads, check out this vintage clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_J-hmyAS6c

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 AM

Does anyone here seriously think it's a great honour to be included? Does anyone think it a dishonour not to be? I doubt it.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 AM

I've been a fan of the Moody's since they first came out in the 1970's. I saw them in concert about 15 years ago, it was a great show. About two years ago I saw Justin Hayward in concert doing most of the Moody songs on acoustic guitar; fantastic show. His voice is still holding up well in spite of his age.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Does anyone here seriously think it's a great honour to be included? Does anyone think it a dishonour not to be? I doubt it.
The Lovin' Spoonful", now there were some rockers.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Amen brother, I know I don't.

5+ rock solid albums. Fused pop and punk in a way no band ever has. A dozen major hit songs, excellent live shows. Extremely influential band to many who followed. Seem like a candidate to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic