The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Keep BR-8, or get something new?

I recently "rediscovered" my somewhat ancient Boss BR-8 digital multitracker, and (once again) found it very easy to use. Wish I'd not put it away for so long! I actually completed a rough demo yesterday of a new original, all in just a couple of hours. I'm no audio engineer, so the fact that this thing is really "no-brainer" easy to use is great for me -- I actually get some things done. HOWEVER, the output is a bit of a pain -- it has optical and midi outs, as well as two RCA-type line outs, but I don't have anything to record a finished song to (like a CD or SD card that I enables me to easily transfer finished songs to a computer, for example).... So my question is if I should invest in some piece of hardware that accomplishes that for me, or just buy a modern version of this same unit (and I know they're not expensive) that has those output abilities built-in.

Any suggestions from you more knowledgeable folks? Thanks....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 03-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I recently "rediscovered" my somewhat ancient Boss BR-8 digital multitracker, and (once again) found it very easy to use. Wish I'd not put it away for so long! I actually completed a rough demo yesterday of a new original, all in just a couple of hours. I'm no audio engineer, so the fact that this thing is really "no-brainer" easy to use is great for me -- I actually get some things done. HOWEVER, the output is a bit of a pain -- it has optical and midi outs, as well as two RCA-type line outs, but I don't have anything to record a finished song to (like a CD or SD card that I enables me to easily transfer finished songs to a computer, for example).... So my question is if I should invest in some piece of hardware that accomplishes that for me, or just buy a modern version of this same unit (and I know they're not expensive) that has those output abilities built-in.

Any suggestions from you more knowledgeable folks? Thanks....

My suggestion is to go with a Zoom R8. No cooling fan or hard drive to make noise, records at 24 bits (important if you're going to do computer editing; highly recommended) and interfaces easily by way of USB output. I've occasionally seen them go on sale for $100 off the normal pricing.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Zoom R8, R16 R24 all allow quite easy transfer to and from your computer.

I think your BR-8 uses Zip drives for storage. You would be better with solid state storage these days.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Yep, Paul -- Zipdrive discs -- of which I have many still unused!
Lots of these cool-looking options seem to connect directly with the computer, but -- stupid question warning here -- I want to make sure I'm able to send a finished audio file (mp3, mp4?) to the computer -- not some multi-track digital file that I'd need to process further on the computer -- hope that makes sense. Any thoughts on that (or others too) are welcome; thanks!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My suggestion is to go with a Zoom R8. No cooling fan or hard drive to make noise, records at 24 bits (important if you're going to do computer editing; highly recommended) and interfaces easily by way of USB output. I've occasionally seen them go on sale for $100 off the normal pricing.

Rudy, is there a reason that you like this unit over any of the other similar brands with no hard drive?

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yep, Paul -- Zipdrive discs -- of which I have many still unused!
Lots of these cool-looking options seem to connect directly with the computer, but -- stupid question warning here -- I want to make sure I'm able to send a finished audio file (mp3, mp4?) to the computer -- not some multi-track digital file that I'd need to process further on the computer -- hope that makes sense. Any thoughts on that (or others too) are welcome; thanks!
I think any of those Zoom recorders can mix down the tracks to a stereo master. Any reason you don't want to use a computer for mastering duties?
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM

depending upon your computer, most have a 1/8" stereo audio in that would allow you to use a y adapter with 1/8" stereo on one side and dual rca on the other. cheaper than buying a new unit. note tho that you are depending upon your sound card for quality and that is a huge question.

instead get a focusrite scarlett 2i2 or presonus audio interface, and, if need be use the boss as a mixing unit.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Rudy, is there a reason that you like this unit over any of the other similar brands with no hard drive?
If you're going to record seriously you should evaluate each recorder brand and compare to your needs.

The reason I recommend the R8 is because I've recorded 3 full length CDs for bands using a Zoom R24 so I'm intimately familiar with the R family operation. The R8 is the 2 input version of the R24 basically.

If you can find another brand that Records 44.1 khz. 24 bit wav format, has XLR inputs and 48v phantom power for small diaphragm condenser mics I'd say you can think about that as a choice.

Most of the comparable recorders have built-in omni eletret mics that sound pretty good, but you'll kick your recordings up to a whole other level using a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics. For that you need XLR inputs and phantom power. Some of the lower priced units don't offer that option.

Any of the recorders you look at that claim it's easy to edit on them are stretching the truth almost to the breaking point. Some are capable, but not easily. Record at 24 bits (without clipping), bring the clips to a PC and edit your adio there. It's quite simple to do and is MUCH MUCH easier then trying to do any editing with the portable recorder.

As paulp1960 says, you can always mix on the recorder down to a two track stereo master, but why limit yourself unless you are purposefully going for less than polished results?

The Zoom records using 24 bit audio. If you do edit on the PC that ends up being a huge advantage in getting clean, clear, great sounding audio. Many other low priced recorders are limited to 16 bit audio, and it matters... a lot.

Any recorder you choose will be available from many sources, but do be aware that Sweetwater automatically extends the factory warranty be an additional year. (I have no financial interest, but a long time satisfied customer...)

Once you mix down to a CD quality wav file then it's simple to convert it to mp3 on must any computer using any number of free programs.

Recording directly as mp3 is NOT a good idea, as it severely limits your ability to produce high quality finished tracks.

You can find some additional info and details on simple home recording at the Internet Archive of my old website. I dropped my hosting a while back, but there's still useful info there:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-14-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
depending upon your computer, most have a 1/8" stereo audio in that would allow you to use a y adapter with 1/8" stereo on one side and dual rca on the other. cheaper than buying a new unit. note tho that you are depending upon your sound card for quality and that is a huge question.

instead get a focusrite scarlett 2i2 or presonus audio interface, and, if need be use the boss as a mixing unit.

play music!
The problem with doing that is you are doing 2 AD conversions, and having to 're-record' the audio on the computer, too.

You could try to find an old ZIP disc player with USB to plug into your computer like this one:
http://www.lenscomputers.com/zip-250...FQenaQodtq8JDw

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The reason I recommend the R8 is because I've recorded 3 full length CDs for bands using a Zoom R24 so I'm intimately familiar with the R family operation. The R8 is the 2 input version of the R24 basically.
Most of the comparable recorders have built-in omni eletret mics that sound pretty good, but you'll kick your recordings up to a whole other level using a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics. For that you need XLR inputs and phantom power. Some of the lower priced units don't offer that option.
Any of the recorders you look at that claim it's easy to edit on them are stretching the truth almost to the breaking point. Some are capable, but not easily. Record at 24 bits (without clipping), bring the clips to a PC and edit your adio there. It's quite simple to do and is MUCH MUCH easier then trying to do any editing with the portable recorder.
The Zoom records using 24 bit audio. If you do edit on the PC that ends up being a huge advantage in getting clean, clear, great sounding audio. Many other low priced recorders are limited to 16 bit audio, and it matters... a lot.
Any recorder you choose will be available from many sources, but do be aware that Sweetwater automatically extends the factory warranty be an additional year. (I have no financial interest, but a long time satisfied customer...)
Once you mix down to a CD quality wav file then it's simple to convert it to mp3 on must any computer using any number of free programs. Recording directly as mp3 is NOT a good idea, as it severely limits your ability to produce high quality finished tracks.

You can find some additional info and details on simple home recording at the Internet Archive of my old website. I dropped my hosting a while back, but there's still useful info there:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html
Thanks a ton, Rudy; I looked at the top units on Sweetwater's site last night (I'm also a very happy SW customer) and right now the R8 is indeed at the top of my list. I have a few questions in to my Sweetwater guy, but your info is also really helpful, so assuming I hear back from him and it's all good, I'll probably go that way. Great website link, too, for more info... Thanks again (everyone!)...

PS - ANYONE WANNA BUY A BOSS BR-8... CHEAP???

-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 03-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM

Something new......To be honest, I would pass on the Zoom or even the great TASCAM DP 24 which blows the zoom away.....

You have something in that vein already though it is dated.....Get with current technology & go computer based

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Get something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The problem with doing that is you are doing 2 AD conversions, and having to 're-record' the audio on the computer, too.

You could try to find an old ZIP disc player with USB to plug into your computer like this one:
http://www.lenscomputers.com/zip-250...FQenaQodtq8JDw
Even if you had a zip drive for your PC the format of the Boss zip is non standard and would need to be converted. Here is a link but the support is dated.. no Mac support and only up to win 2000 !

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/201944979

Lee
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Thanks, all. I ended up getting a Tascam DP03 8-track digital recorder; built-in stereo mics, apparently about as simple as it gets. I'm just trying to put as few steps between me playing and a finished simple clean finished recording, and this seemed to be the way to go. Wish me luck, and thanks again for the input...

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM

Tascam DP03 only does 16 bit recording as far as I know.

I would have bought the Zoom. But good luck.
Yamaha BB414 Bass

Last edited by paulp1960; 03-21-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Tascam DP03 only does 16 bit recording as far as I know. I would have bought the Zoom. But good luck.
I get that, Paul -- clearly more features and capability with the Zomm R8 at the same price. But I've wasted enough time on the learning curve and just need simple. So far this Tascam seems to be suited very well to the simple but clean things I'm trying to accomplish. Trying to avoid yet another instance of wanting to achieve "perfection" get in the way of the actually accomplishing "good." And i just didn't read enough about clear differences -- especially for what I'm doing -- in 16-bit vs. 24-bit recording. 16-bit is still CD quality, as I understand. That'll work for me...

-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD