The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 PM

I'm one of those people that has plosives in their vocals. For me, and my Shure SM 58 the foam inside the wire mesh ball was enough to keep my P's from popping.

And yeah, singing into a mic is a lot different than singing in a choir. Unamplified vocals you project more and have a higher sound level. Miked you need less projection but still a full sound, at lower volumes.

I find that after learning to sing with a mic, I have trouble singing without one.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 PM

Okay. So there are like 25 variables in play. After all the various advice here - which is solid! - if I were the OP, I'd be a little overwhelmed.

So in honor of K.I.S.S. here is my bulletproof advice:
1. You are outside, so use a separate windscreen. Maybe even buy one to keep in your guitar case.
2. The closer you sing, the less PA power will be needed. This reduces the risk of feedback.
3. That said, leave a bit of space when singing normally, like 2-3 inches. That way quite literally you can "lean into" your low notes. For these, go lips-on with the mic. It'll help your low end and even out your overall volume.

And besides the critical boom-stand advice, I'll add that if you point the mic at the speaker, you get the nasty self-referencing loop that is feedback.

Finally, take two slow, deep, long breaths just before you grab your guitar.

Best of luck! It'll be great.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

If you are singing into other peoples microphones and put your lips on it it's like sucking on other peoples pop bottles. Yech! I use my own foam cover or don't touch it with my lips. Think about how many people have been spitting into that mic.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
If you are singing into other peoples microphones and put your lips on it it's like sucking on other peoples pop bottles. Yech! I use my own foam cover or don't touch it with my lips. Think about how many people have been spitting into that mic.
Not to mention that a pop screen will shield you from bad grounding which could zap you in the lips (happens more often than you think).

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 AM

I don't have answers to your questions, but I'll add this: if you have a good person running sound, do what he/she says. That person should know what mic you're using, how best to place yourself in relation to it, and how to get the best sound from it.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

During the spring I do about a dozen 'Blues in the Schools' shows in which I involve 14 year old students in songwriting and performance, 99% of which have never sung in front of a mic.

The first thing I tell them is to stand close and make believe that you're singing THROUGH the mic, all the way to where it connects to the cable.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
The mic doesn't seem to need the foam ball, but I wondered if it might help as a distance gauge.
IMO foam is only useful in windy situations

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

For live sound I use SM58 or Beta 58 mics and tell everyone to eat the mic when singing lead. Back off 3-4" when singing backup.

In the studio I use a large condenser with a pop filter and tell people to eat the pop filter. This ensures consistant levels.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM

It seems much easier to stay within touching distance of the mic than to maintain a consistent distance of several inches while your whole body is moving by playing guitar. Maybe that skill will come.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM

Kyle, I haven't read the responses to your OP and I'm sure this has already been said, but it can't be said too often: Get a decent digital recorder, every practice session record a few songs, and listen to the recordings before your next practice session...

Nothing will help you more with synching vocals and guitar... nothing will help you more with breathing and timing... nothing will help you more with singing in tune and with good dynamics.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems much easier to stay within touching distance of the mic than to maintain a consistent distance of several inches while your whole body is moving by playing guitar. Maybe that skill will come.
Yes it will..... it is a learned skill, with learning curve.
The first shock is hearing your voice amplified, but just know that more you sing into a mic, the more you learn how utilize your voice and the mic as an asset.
The first time you record your voice is also a shock (particularly if you have not been using stage monitoring) but it is the same thing, another learning curve and with practice you will improve .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
For live sound I use SM58 or Beta 58 mics and tell everyone to eat the mic when singing lead. Back off 3-4" when singing backup.

Yeah, the sound guy always tells me that too, then I back up 3-4 inches and get good sound anyway. Then again, I spent a lot of time working Ren Faires unmiked, so I tend to project well.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Keep in mind that sound is a radiant form of energy and therefore follows the inverse square law. What that means is that as you reduce the distance between you and the mic by half the sound volume goes up 4 times. So if you go from 8 inches to 4 it goes up 4X. Then if you go from 4 inches to 2 it goes up 4X and from 2 inches to 1 it goes up 4X. So the closer you get the more sensitive the sound level is to changes in that distance. I'm not a big fan of compression but I understand why its commonly used for vocals.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yup, it's a science in itself. Here in LA there is a wonderful venue that shoots video for you while you play, then sends you the stream for twenty bucks. I like to review it to learn how to improve my stage presence and profile onstage.

I noticed, for instance, that I hold the neck of my guitar too low, oftentimes pointing at the ground. One more thing to work on.

Keep at it!

sm
Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
A friend and I will perform a few songs at a church cookout next month. I borrowed a Fishman Solo 220 for us to use. I've used a mic only a few times, and boy is it harder than one would think to modulate your vocals, keep a consistent distance from the mic AND try to play guitar at the same time.
I had the pleasure of seeing Buddy Guy at the BB King club in NYC a few years ago. Great seats. From where I sat I could tell the time on his wristwatch.

The concert was everything I'd hoped for but what I was not expecting after seeing so many rockers swallow the mic whole, was the distance he maintained from mic to mouth and how it positively affected the tone and clarity of his words as much as the volume.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write