The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM

I know a shop where there's been a Backpacker hanging on the wall literally forever...

The owner told me that if he ever has a break in, he suspects he will find TWO Backpackers hanging on the wall...
Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 PM

I bought one of the first Baby Taylor guitars back in 1996 when they came out. I was riding my motorcycle around Alaska a lot back then, and camping. I found its volume to be pretty anemic around the campfire. I cannot imagine being able to hear a Backpacker. It might make a decent wheel chock on hilly terrain, though.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 PM

I suppose the Martin Backpacker fits someone's needs, as they still sell them. It doesn't mine, even a little. (So to speak.) For me, there are much better choices. If a Backpacker were my only choice for a long hike, I'd probably take an alto recorder along instead, or perhaps a ukulele. I would go without an instrument before I'd take a Backpacker. That's not easy for me to say, because I'm almost never without a musical instrument nearby.

cotten
Old 04-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I know a shop where there's been a Backpacker hanging on the wall literally forever...

The owner told me that if he ever has a break in, he suspects he will find TWO Backpackers hanging on the wall...
Reminds me of the old accordian joke.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 PM

If you want anyone else to hear it you don't want a backpacker. Outside you may not even hear it yourself. Between a parlor and the Martin backpacker the parlor will win in just about every category.

If you really want something as small as the backpacker with much better (still quiet) sound the Washburn Rover is decent. I picked one up a few years ago when they were closing out for some reason, and it has been nice to have. It sounds like a much bigger guitar when it's plugged in. I played the Martin and the Washburn back to back and there was no comparison. I couldn't believe Martin put there name on a "strum stick."
Old 04-22-2017, 07:10 PM

For a good campfire guitar, I would suggest checking out some of the carbon fiber guitars in that size. There are many fine sounding offerings by Composite Acoustics, Rainsong, Journey, just to name a few.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 PM

I have a long history loving Martin instruments. I wished I liked the Backpacker, but it's just too toy-like for me.

Beyond the chintzy kindling-wood feel, they sound to me like a tin can wrapped in a wet toilet paper tube.

I even prefer the Washburn Rover, by a smidge. The Yamaha FG Junior is a bit better still.

If you want to be heard around that campfire, or have a tone/sound that resembles an acoustic guitar, I suggest finding an inexpensive parlor or just visit pawn shops and find a good deal on a small-bodied beater.

- John Shedd

Last edited by Muddslide; 04-22-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 PM

PS-- I'll also echo the suggestion of a ukulele. Good ones can be had on the cheap-- my Gretsch G9100 soprano is a fine instrument and lists for $99.

Ukuleles are very light and portable.

Warning: they are highly addictive. Baritone ukes are usually tuned DGBE; more guitar-like than other uke sizes.

Just a thought.

- John Shedd
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 PM

My campfire guitar is a Andrew White Eros. He also makes two other less expensive models like the Eros. Back and sides are laminate. Neck is narrow and well setup. Tone is very good. Body size is parlor size. Andrew White makes some very high end guitars as well and his attention to excellence shows in these three models he builds at a much lower price point. Its better than most others I have played that would find themselves sitting by a campfire with the cold, dew, sun, fire, dirt, dog drool, chocolate and marshmallow drippings and whatever else ends up on it.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Three obvious options that I see for a campfire guitar that are all better choices than a Backpacker. Here's the list from cheapest to most expensive.

1) Cheap guitar from overseas. You can get a pretty good one for under $100 new and probably get a lot better guitar for the same price used.

2) Baritone Uke or guitalele - not sure if this is a more expensive choice, but as they are relatively rarer than cheap guitars then they are slightly harder to find on a good deal used.

3) CF guitar - I have an Emerald X20 that I got envisioning it on purchase as my beater guitar, and now I use it as my main go to guitar for all occasions. It's as good or better than some 8XX and 9XX Taylors I have played. It is that good! There are lot's of choices of CF guitars to choose from, but they tend to be a bit more expensive (new or used) than the other two choices. If you want a small guitar, look at the CA Cargo. It beats IMO the Baby Taylor and probably the GS Mini too in volume and bass even though it has a shorter scale than the Mini.

Like someone said before I would only use the backpacker only for practice and certainly not if I had any other choice.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Seagull dreads make real good camping guitars - smaller size for dreads, plenty of volume, and most have laminate back & sides. Seagull laminates are all tonewood, not veneers on poplar. They also have smaller body guitars, but their dreads are not that big.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Backpackers are terrible, unless you are backpacking of course. I would highly recommend a seagull s6 or Breedlove discovery series. They both punch significantly above their asking price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 AM

If I wanted a little guitar to play around the campfire, I would go on Craigslist and buy a used Martin LXM.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

To re-iterate what has been said before, the Martin backpacker is frankly a nice conversation piece and that is about it. I tried one and it was not comfortable to play, had a shrill sound. Just because the headstock says Martin does not mean it is good.

Having said that, you could use either a Little Martin, Baby Taylor or a Washburn parlor for around the campfire. For that matter, get the Oscar Schmidt parlor guitar (owned by same company that owns Washburn) and it comes with its price point a great hard case. Yes, you will have to have some set-up done but I guarantee it would sound better then the backpacker.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Not to continue to pile on but, I bought a Martin Backpacker. Worst quasi-guitar I've ever owned. Sound is awful, ergonomics are worse. Mine hangs on the wall beside the fireplace in case, as someone mentioned, I run out of kindling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion