The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
Did you verify for sure that Heritage covers shipping AFTER the sale? *** If you know for sure that heritage covers, I'll have to check into them for next policy year.
Matt: I know for sure. When shipping, I let Heritage know explicitly "I'm selling a guitar, shipping to %%%, sending via FedEx tracking #%%%%, and after it arrives I will let you know so you can remove from my policy since after arrival I will no longer own it...etc. etc." They are totally cool with it, and are equally explicit that the guitar is covered until I tell them I no longer own it. Which is after the buyer receives it.

In a sale, after receiving payment, if a shipped guitar never reaches the buyer/destination it only makes sense that a seller would have to refund the payment. So in real life, we own the guitar until the buyer has it in their hands, and Heritage treats it that way. Doesn't make sense any other way...to me anyway!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
There are several companys that offer shipping insurance such as Parcel Insurance Plan, UPIC, Shipsurance. We never hear about anyone using these. I wish some of us would so we could know if they are as good as they seem. I shipped a guitar across the nation recently and Used UPIC cause I knew the shippers didnt offer insurance and I didnt want to pay the $200 apx for Heritage or Clarion and they might not even cover a loss anyway based on what someone above said. Fortunately there was no claim cause there was no accident. But for those of us that very seldom take our guitars out of the house or seldom ship we as a guitar community have to come up with some alternatives to what is usually discussed such as this thread.
I don't know about the other two, but UPIC's policy is no better than the carrier's declared value coverage. It excludes inadequate packing, and it makes the carrier the one who determines that: First, it makes the carrier's declared value coverage primary; next, if the carrier won't pay (even if you just took the automatic $100), then UPIC won't pay. And if the carrier does pay, they specify that that is not determinative and they can do their own review, so it can be worse than the carrier's declared value, but not better.

I would suspect that the others who do this work it the same way.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 PM

And BTW, Heritage, Clarion, and Andersen are not insurance companies. They are insurance brokers who have worked with insurance companies to get them to write policies that are suited to musical instrument owners, makers, and dealers. These are conventional casualty policies but they have been written to allow for the real value of custom and vintage instruments to be covered. They broker a variety of policies, not all of which have the same provisions. If you want shipping to be covered up to the buyer's door, make it clear to them when you are buying.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
And BTW, Heritage, Clarion, and Andersen are not insurance companies. They are insurance brokers who have worked with insurance companies to get them to write policies that are suited to musical instrument owners, makers, and dealers. These are conventional casualty policies but they have been written to allow for the real value of custom and vintage instruments to be covered. They broker a variety of policies, not all of which have the same provisions. If you want shipping to be covered up to the buyer's door, make it clear to them when you are buying.
So is that the way for us sellers to go? Buy Heritage, Clarion or Andersen as an add on to say State Farm Homeowner Insurance? No other way for a one or two times for the year of selling a guitar or two?

Selling privately is risky if I don't want to buy extra insurance. I found that one can buy insurance when shipping after selling on Reverb. I didn't ask what kind was for sale.

Last edited by pickitPaul; 04-22-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
So is that the way for us sellers to go? Buy Heritage, Clarion or Andersen as an add on to say State Farm Homeowner Insurance? No other way for a one or two times for the year of selling a guitar or two?

Selling privately is risky if I don't want to buy extra insurance. I found that one can buy insurance when shipping after selling on Reverb. I didn't ask what kind was for sale.
Ask your State Farm agent if a guitar you own is covered, and if that coverage applies when it is sold and shipped.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion