The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Default Why not locking tuners?

Just out of idle curiosity, with regard to Rickenbacker 12-strings with the slotted headstock, has anyone ever heard of or considered trying to adapt locking tuners to this design?

Anyone who has ever re-strung one of these knows what I mean...to say that it's a quirky design is an understatement. I mean, in a way it's genius, the way they managed to mount 12 tuners in a space more appropriate for six, but I dread putting new strings on this guitar...difficult, time-consuming, bloody, even.

It would seem to be a no-brainer to use locking tuners for this...much more stable tuning, quicker, safer because one is less likely to jab fingers with the pre-cut end of a string. My fingers aren't all that fat, but they sure don't fit into that little slot very well.

This is the culprit:

Love the guitar...hate to re-string it...I wonder if regular Gotoh/Kluson-style locking tuners could be adapted. Anyone ever try?
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Don't remember seeing a Rickenbacker 12 with slotted head it's a cool looking git. Not being knowledgeable I do not know the answer , I do know I like the locking tuners on my PRS, tune them once at the start and forget.

Looks like a Supro Titan , yes ? How are you liking it ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-10-2017, 09:31 AM

This model of Ricky (660-12) is pretty typical of Ric 12-strings; the slot doesn't even go all the way through...more of a groove...and the groove is much narrower than a typical slotted headstock so it's very tricky to get the strings anchored properly. The other thing is that with Rics, you can't take all the strings off at once without screwing up the neck tension/truss adjustment. Further, you have to plan which strings to replace first, since the length of string between the post and the nut gets in the way of subsequent strings as they pass over the slot.

As to the Titan, I love it...it is now my numero uno. I've been thinking of starting a separate thread on that subject just to compare notes with others on here that pounced on Sweetwater's deal back when...stay tuned!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
This model of Ricky (660-12) is pretty typical of Ric 12-strings; the slot doesn't even go all the way through...more of a groove...and the groove is much narrower than a typical slotted headstock so it's very tricky to get the strings anchored properly. The other thing is that with Rics, you can't take all the strings off at once without screwing up the neck tension/truss adjustment. Further, you have to plan which strings to replace first, since the length of string between the post and the nut gets in the way of subsequent strings as they pass over the slot.

As to the Titan, I love it...it is now my numero uno. I've been thinking of starting a separate thread on that subject just to compare notes with others on here that pounced on Sweetwater's deal back when...stay tuned!
Ha ! guess I never paid attention to head configuration, good thing it wasn't a rattlesnake.

Cool love to hear you thoughts on the Titan

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars