The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Advice wanted ( Martin vs Nowland )

Hi am new to this forum and fairly new to the world of acoustics. I have bought and sold many electrics over the last 20 years but have only had one acoustic a nice Japanese Takamine. I really have not played acoustic much at all until the last 6 months. I am thinking of wading into getting another acoustic. I may or may not sell the Takamine afterwards. I will not be playing gigs. Just a hobbyist down in the basement. I strum about half the time and am getting into fingerstyle as well.
I have downsized my electrics and have a budget of around $3000 or preferably less. I have played some Taylors and Martins locally and seem to gravitate towards the D-28. I placed an ad looking to purchase a used guitar locally. I mentioned I would prefer a Martin Dread. A gentleman sent me some pictures of a Nowland. The builder is well known in the Salt Lake Utah area but not elsewhere it seems. It is a nice guitar with some Martin characteristics such as spruce top and rosewood back and sides. However, some differences for sure. Twelve fret, slot-head, cut away etc.
Finally, to my question. The price of the Nowland would be around $2000 the price of a used D-28 sometimes can be found at around $2500. I worry about resale on the Nowland but have always been intrigued with and enjoyed small builders and their attention to detail. It would be about a two-hour drive to try the Nowland. Which way would you personally go? Here are some pics. of the Nowland. Thanks for your input.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-19-2022, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

If you want a D-28, get a D-28. I don’t know anything about Nowland and they might be very nice guitars, but on the surface it doesn’t look as though it’s based on a Martin at all, and I doubt it would sound much like one either.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:52 PM

I am familiar with many individual maker, but not Nowland. Maybe someone here will know more. The guitar looks really nice and is low-priced for a handmade-in-America guitar (if it is). Play a Martin, then play this and see what you think. How does the neck feel? Is it comfortable? Take one of your own for a comparison of sound as that is so influenced by surroundings. Check out Nowland's website if he has one.

The downside is lower sales price if you ever decide to do that, but I wouldn't worry too much over that as it is reflected in what you pay for it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:01 PM

I wouldn't consider "spruce top and rosewood back and sides" Martin characteristics.

That guitar has nothing in common with a D-28 beyond the type of wood used (and they have the same number of strings)
Old 07-19-2022, 08:01 PM

Get a good used D-28 or D-18. You need a frame of reference going forward. And keep the Takamine, they make good stuff.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 07-19-2022, 08:04 PM

You're new. Taste will change as you discover stuff. Stick to stiff you can easily flip if needed for awhile.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:37 PM

Mighty, Nowland is an unknown builder. Judging from the photos, his fit and finish don’t match the level of a Martin.

You can make the drive to go play the guitar if you like, but it’s not going to have the resale value of a Martin no matter how good it sounds.

That neck attachment system in particular looks funky.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-19-2022, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

It’s not anything like a D 28. And its resale value will be lower than 2K. Gas is expensive and so is your time, but if you feel like going for a ride, do. But I would keep looking for a known quantity. And I’d keep the Takamine.

Welcome to the forum!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-20-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your input. It is unanimous so far. Stay with a known quantity, and keep in mind resale value if needed in the future. I still need to visit the local shops and replay the guitars that struck my fancy. (I wished there was more selection around here). I will keep my eyes and ears open for the right one. Appreciate your advice.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Mighty, Nowland is an unknown builder. Judging from the photos, his fit and finish don’t match the level of a Martin.

You can make the drive to go play the guitar if you like, but it’s not going to have the resale value of a Martin no matter how good it sounds.

That neck attachment system in particular looks funky.

Hope this helps.
^^^^^^^^^^
What WHM said +1.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-20-2022, 01:15 PM

Am not familiar with this builder - unless you get a couple of people chime in
who have played or own one -its difficult to acess .
I did about the same thing a number of years ago here- someone was selling a Colby Horton 12 fret Dread -that someone chimed in about it having a good sound -so i drove about an hour played the guitar and bought it -
but it was a bit less exspensive than the one your looking at . by the way I happen to love that Colby horton and have talked to the luthier who built it .

I did notice that on the label of that guitar their is no address or any details about the builder -and that might be a rabbit hole in itself .

I found a website that inactive and their is a facebook page -with 5 reviews , and the guitar for sale is a low number -doesnt mean anything is wrong
but it appears the builder isnt making guitars any more ---?????

Last edited by Tony Burns; 07-20-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Many players go through a few guitars before they find the one that satisfies most needs. I certainly did. You play for (hopefully) a few years and want something louder, or smaller, or a different tonal pallet, or a wider string spacing. I suggest you buy as many of these as you can find used along the way. I also suggest you purchase name brands that will be easy to sell or trade in when the time comes.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-21-2022, 08:28 PM

I am familiar with the maker. He makes quality guitar. The problem is just what has been said here already. Name recognition.
His guitars sell for over $4,000.00 new.
They are his own bracing design and not intended to be a Martin clone.
You would have a great guitar that could be hard to resale for what you paid, even at $2,000.00.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:03 AM

I would never buy a guitar thinking of resale since every guitar I buy I think is the ultimate guitar! If you like that guitar go ahead! In my case, after going through more than fifteen guitars over the years, the Martin OM-18e was the only one that gave me problems, being the most expensive guitar, and I sold it. Now my Loef is a better guitar and gives a hundred laps to the Martin!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-22-2022, 07:06 AM

I would recommend coming up with a few hundred more and getting a new D-28, then you will get the Martin lifetime warranty.

Looking at the pics of that other guitar, I'm not a fan of sound ports or gloss necks, so that would not even be a consideration for me. Also, it seems to have a lot of bling, and only priced at 2k, so that would be a red flag for me.

If it was me, and I could come up with a few hundred more bucks, I would go with a new D-28 and get the Martin warranty. If I could not come up with the extra cash, I would go for a new D-18.

You could never go wrong with a D-28 or a D-18 IMO.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion