The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM

Default NGD: Alvarez AG70 CEAR

Just got this last night. I was looking for a cheap (around $300) 3/4" nut guitar I could just leave out ready to play and not have to worry too much about. Also it's good to have a second guitar for alternative tunings when performing or just to have when the main guitar is in the shop. I was looking for something similar to my Taylor 314ce, so it would be easy switching back and forth.

I have to say this Alvarez AG70 totally exceeded my expectations. Nice spruce top with rosewood back/sides. Beautiful binding all around. The neck shape/profile and feel is identical to my Taylor....almost as if they copied it. The action was great out of the box. Just tightened the truss rod a bit since the relief was a little too much. No buzzing anywhere up and down the neck. The sound is different from my Taylor....more bright and punchy. My 314ce is quieter and a little more lush sounding, but it's pretty close. Some might even like the AG70s sound better. Comes with a bone nut and saddle, which is a nice touch. The beveled top edge is really nice, since that always digs into my upper forearm. Very comfortable to hold and play. This thing has me questioning why spend another $1,000 on the Taylor? I'm sure the Taylor has better quality wood and parts, but this Alvarez plays and sounds great and feels like my Taylor in my hands. For under $500, I don't see how you could do better. Not sure why this model isn't more popular? I think it's relatively new, but if you are looking in this price range for something similar to a Taylor GA ce model, you really should check out this Alvarez.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 AM

I got an ap70 and a abt60 and it's incredible the guitar you get for the money.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Beautiful guitar Jack. It's been on my radar for about six months now. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any dealers who have one to try out. My reservation is the wide neck(for me) at 1 3/4".
Give us a full evaluation when it gets broken in a little. I would value a hands on review.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Beautiful guitar! Enjoy,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Beautiful guitar Jack. It's been on my radar for about six months now. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any dealers who have one to try out. My reservation is the wide neck(for me) at 1 3/4".
Give us a full evaluation when it gets broken in a little. I would value a hands on review.
If you can test out a Taylor 314ce, the neck on this Alvarez is the same profile and width. If you like the Taylors neck, you will like this one. I bough this one online without playing it first and it really surprised me.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats! Nice looking guitar!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar, congratulations.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks

I'll try and do a video review soon, since there aren't many out there on
this guitar.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thanks

I'll try and do a video review soon, since there aren't many out there on
this guitar.
That would be great Jack. I look forward to what you have to say.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations. The bevel is a very nice feature. What’s not to love about Alvarez?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Very nice!! I've seen the AG610CEARSB (...i.e. Artist Series Grand 610 Cutaway Electronics ArmRest Shadow Burst) at an area GC a few months ago and was impressed. I almost bought an AG75CE (cedar/rosewood) before I pulled teh trigger on a Seagull. Haven't seen the AG70 with rosewood, though. I think those may already be discontinued since Alvarez has been moving away from rosewood and now use walnut for many of their models, hence the short supply.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Very nice!! I've seen the AG610CEARSB (...i.e. Artist Series Grand 610 Cutaway Electronics ArmRest Shadow Burst) at an area GC a few months ago and was impressed. I almost bought an AG75CE (cedar/rosewood) before I pulled teh trigger on a Seagull. Haven't seen the AG70 with rosewood, though. I think those may already be discontinued since Alvarez has been moving away from rosewood and now use walnut for many of their models, hence the short supply.
not discontinued....

http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/__trashed-8-2/
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Just got this last night. I was looking for a cheap (around $300) 3/4" nut guitar I could just leave out ready to play and not have to worry too much about. Also it's good to have a second guitar for alternative tunings when performing or just to have when the main guitar is in the shop. I was looking for something similar to my Taylor 314ce, so it would be easy switching back and forth.

I have to say this Alvarez AG70 totally exceeded my expectations. Nice spruce top with rosewood back/sides. Beautiful binding all around. The neck shape/profile and feel is identical to my Taylor....almost as if they copied it. The action was great out of the box. Just tightened the truss rod a bit since the relief was a little too much. No buzzing anywhere up and down the neck. The sound is different from my Taylor....more bright and punchy. My 314ce is quieter and a little more lush sounding, but it's pretty close. Some might even like the AG70s sound better. Comes with a bone nut and saddle, which is a nice touch. The beveled top edge is really nice, since that always digs into my upper forearm. Very comfortable to hold and play. This thing has me questioning why spend another $1,000 on the Taylor? I'm sure the Taylor has better quality wood and parts, but this Alvarez plays and sounds great and feels like my Taylor in my hands. For under $500, I don't see how you could do better. Not sure why this model isn't more popular? I think it's relatively new, but if you are looking in this price range for something similar to a Taylor GA ce model, you really should check out this Alvarez.

Now, listen. Just stop telling everyone how good those Alvarez guitars are. You are going to have the prices rising if you keep this up!

As for the Taylor having better quality wood and parts, I doubt it. They just build great guitars without the marketing and sales costs that the Taylor, Martin, Gibson and other biggies have.

I just bought three or 2 1/2, I suppose. One is a Masterworks MD60. One was an AP70 for a friend and the other is a 12 string built by Yairi and designed by Lowden. All were used except the AP70 which is supposed to be used but there is not a mark on it. I paid just over $1000.00 CDN for all three combined. They all came with cases as well. The quality, tone and price are excellent.

Now stop telling people how great these guitars are, please!

................And enjoy yours.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Now, listen. Just stop telling everyone how good those Alvarez guitars are. You are going to have the prices rising if you keep this up!

As for the Taylor having better quality wood and parts, I doubt it. They just build great guitars without the marketing and sales costs that the Taylor, Martin, Gibson and other biggies have.

I just bought three or 2 1/2, I suppose. One is a Masterworks MD60. One was an AP70 for a friend and the other is a 12 string built by Yairi and designed by Lowden. All were used except the AP70 which is supposed to be used but there is not a mark on it. I paid just over $1000.00 CDN for all three combined. They all came with cases as well. The quality, tone and price are excellent.

Now stop telling people how great these guitars are, please!

................And enjoy yours.
I’m going to have to concur.
I have five Alvarez guitars.
The most I’ve ever spent was $650 on a used, Alvarez-Yairi GY1.
Of the eight that I’ve bought over the years. Most have been acquired for $200 or less.
I have a nice Fiftieth Anniversary Dread, that needed some work when I bought it. With having a crack repaired, I’m into it for almost $150.
I keep buying them because I’ve rarely played a bad one.
I have mostly dreads, and my Taylor 110e is a great guitar.
But the Alvarez guitars, conspire to keep the Taylor in its case.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 AM

How are you liking the bevel as far as comfort?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion