The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 AM

Default Anyone try a Shubb Classical Capo on a Rainsong 12

So I had the WS3000 out earlier and again I am reminded that every capo I have simply sucks on the Rainsong's flat fretboard.

The best one I have is a Shubb that the folks at Shubb custom bent for me, but it's still very hard to get enough pressure to prevent any of the strings from going dead.

Anyone ever try a Shubb Classical/Nylon capo on one of these?

File little notches for the bass strings so the octaves will actually seat against the frets? (If I screw it up replacement sleeves are cheap enough)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 AM

You ask your question at the right place amigo. Like you,every capo I have (all Shubbs) are a poor fit on my Shorty. I ordered an L2 in the cool anodized blue color, a wider capo designed for classical necks with a near flat radius. While it does seem to work better, even it isn't absolutely perfect (maybe because of the chunky NS neck?). I have found that it performs better if I clamp it from underneath the fret board. I would imagine it would work great on your WS3000 though.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I don't have any direct experience with these (I also use Shubbs), but might be worth a look, they can be customized for different fretboards...

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/fr...tar-make-model
Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 AM

A spider capo... though not as convenient ... sure is fun and should hit every string as needed...or not... just an idea from not center field
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 AM

HMMM I have no issue at all using the standard Shubb on my Shorty. But it is the older one. The newer style with the little wheel I am not a fan of at all so it is lost in a drawer somewhere. Also the Planet Waves cheapie is super...the one you get for free with strings. Not sure of the model.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM

When I was playing my APLE Rainsong with the 12 fret neck I used my Elliot that I use on my wood guitars and it worked perfect, no dead or buzzing strings.
If you order one from them for your neck profile and radius they will make it just for that guitar. Mine was just the std, actually made for a 16" radius. Best Capo out there and they ship quick.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 PM

I've always used the standard Kyser capos, including on my Rainsongs. However, I've got newer versions with the NS neck, so it's a different sort of critter than your 12-string. If I was in your shoes, I would certainly try the Kyser 12-string capo, but I can't vouch for it.

Those Thalia capos posted by Strumalot look promising. I also know that the G7th Performance 2 capo is supposed to work great on Rainsongs, but I don't know if it's wide enough for a 12-string. But their capos are supposed to be VERY forgiving of different fretboard radiuses (radii?).
Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I have found that it performs better if I clamp it from underneath the fret board. I would imagine it would work great on your WS3000 though.
The one the guys at Shubb hand bent for me also works better clamped upside down.

Was also thinking aluminum because the Rainsong is neck-heavy enough as it is.

And Guys, I have no trouble with any capo on my Shorty (I normally use a Kyser) the issue is the WS3000. As always twice the strings = four times the hassle.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 AM

I'll have my Paige twelve string capo with me on the trip to AZ, if we connect for a show & tell. https://www.elderly.com/catalog/prod...o-old-version/
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
And Guys, I have no trouble with any capo on my Shorty (I normally use a Kyser) the issue is the WS3000. As always twice the strings = four times the hassle.
Have you tried the Kyser 12-string capo specifically?

The other one that seems like a great candidate is the G7th Heritage.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:31 PM

My best results have been with the Paige Classical Guitar Capo and the G7th Heritage Capo. YMMV.

And obviously, you have to be OK with yoke-style capos.

P.S. This is on a 12-fret Concert OM

Last edited by NoodleFingers; 02-06-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So I had the WS3000 out earlier and again I am reminded that every capo I have simply sucks on the Rainsong's flat fretboard.

The best one I have is a Shubb that the folks at Shubb custom bent for me, but it's still very hard to get enough pressure to prevent any of the strings from going dead.

Anyone ever try a Shubb Classical/Nylon capo on one of these?

File little notches for the bass strings so the octaves will actually seat against the frets? (If I screw it up replacement sleeves are cheap enough)

I emailed Shubb and they recommended the Classical/Nylon Capo for my Rainsong 6 string. Call them with the specs of your guitar (neck radius and width) and they’ll recommend a model that will work for you.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber