The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Default If you are a "acoustic only guy" like me, do you often lust on buying an electric?

What's the reason you stayed on acoustic?

I feel that buying an electric would steal precious time from my fingerstyle practicing, so I try so stay away. However, I want often want one.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

yup...."T-bucket"
Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I think about it now and again but the acoustic really has the tone and resonance that I like the best. I think if I were a better player and bit more versatile, I would probably think more seriously about owning an electric.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM

If you are a "acoustic only guy" like me, do you often lust on buying an electric?

no - i'm an "acoustic only guy"
i only lust after superB23's and palolowarrior's guitars
Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I wanted a Tele a while back...but I got over it. Started thinking about all the additional gear associated with it and changed my mind. Nothing wrong with having one though...if it's what you want?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Eric Skye

I sold all my electric stuff twenty years ago and never look back. I basically have just one acoustic (I have backup of the same guitar) and decided to focus more on music making. I have a lot friends that have many different kids of guitars, guitar gear, and even other instruments, and do great with it, but I think I'm probably too ADD. If I got an electric I'd probably spend two hours today researching the difference between different kids of tubes, or suddenly be playing a whole bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with my larger mission... instead of working on my playing, and hanging out on guitar forums! Though I will admit, microphones do seems to be my drug of choice in terms of day dreaming now days....
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I wanted a Tele a while back...but I got over it. Started thinking about all the additional gear associated with it and changed my mind. Nothing wrong with having one though...if it's what you want?
Guess it's nothing wrong, but I try to practice guitar for 2+ hours every day. I play fingerstyle, have long nails, and try to get better. If I buy a tele, I would have to steal from my fingerstyle time. What if I love the tele so much that my acoustics gets unused? So many scary aspects.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM

I'm probably about 50/50 acoustic versus electric playing time and I enjoy both. No need to have any hangups about electric guitars.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Teles....

So much lust.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Teles....

So much lust.
Me too! Tele with an expensive tube amp, lust!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM

I have both acoustic and electric guitars, and spend about an equal amount of time with each.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 AM

I would really like a nice PRS or Suhr, but I'm not an electric player or have the theory of scales and fretboard understanding to play it well. So I let my best friend do that. Speaking of sweet electrics, he just bought a Limited Tele much like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Absolutely. I gig completely acoustic nowadays but I am a tele guy and love putting together parts teles.

I just bought a body made of really old barn pine butcher block from a guy off of Ebay... my next tele partscaster project! Just need a USACG or Warmoth boatneck to finish it off.

And I LOVE the Ibanez Artcores... GREAT bang fer buck guitars.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
Me too! Tele with an expensive tube amp, lust!
And on...and on...and on! But I think it's more about what inspires you to play whatever style suits you? My guess would be if you're that into fingerstyle a nice Tele/Tube amp and associated gear won't stop you from playing that style?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:38 AM

I'm the electric guy that bought an acoustic.

I started playing at age 12. Learned on acoustic, but never fell in love with guitar until I got my first Strat. The next 15 years would be spent focusing on gear, amps, pedals, and electric guitars. Played in some Southern Gospel groups, and even some modern praise bands, and always played electric.

I got bored with electric guitar around age 29. Took a year off and bought a Taylor 814ce on a whim at 30. I haven't looked back to electric yet, and it's been almost 2 years. I honestly have very little desire to go back to electric.

Honestly, if you have $1000 laying around to build a "rig", it could really open doors for creativity and make playing guitar fresh again. But then, there is the "rig" word. The amps, the pedals, the cables....it all adds up, and to me it becomes a burden. You build a rig around blues, so what happens when you want to play rock (or metal in my case)? There is a part of me that wishes I could just buy a Blues Jr and be happy, but I have such a broad interest in music that I need something like a modeling rig to hit all of my palettes.

The simplicity and intimacy of acoustic guitar has me hooked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion