The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Default "Camera Martyrs of Vietnam" On History Channel

As part of a series called "Unsung Heroes", I watched the episode entitled "Camera Martyrs of Vietnam" that details the stories of some of the 135 photographers killed in that conflict.

As a teenager, I idolized Larry Burrows. Pictures of him in Life magazine jumping off a helicopter with a gaggle of Nikons and Leicas strung around him just entranced me. Burrows is featured in the episode along with others, including North Vietnamese photographers who created some stunning, if uncredited, photos.

Burrows pioneered the use of color film for combat coverage.

If you are of an age where you remember that period, you will see a photo during this show that burned into your mind then and probably stays with you today.

Must see if you can find it.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM

Nice shot of that Skyraider!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426 View Post
Nice shot of that Skyraider!
That's a shot by Burrows. At the time, his photos would be featured in 8-14 page spreads in Life magazine. He did a series on a helicopter crew chief that followed him for 1 day. He went from bright faced kid to haggard veteran during that day. Its an amazing sequence of pictures.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Here's another Burrows photo that has been stuck in my mind for 40 + years.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Photo by Henri Huet who died in the same crash as Burrows.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Heroes and war lost its association with me after my own exposure to it. I pretty much think differently than most people I've ever known about war, glory, heroes and all that imagined nonsense.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-18-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Heroes and war lost its association with me after my own exposure to it. I pretty much think differently than most people I've ever known about war, glory, heroes and all that imagined nonsense.
That's a pretty narrow view. People like Burrows and Huet went the same places a combat soldier had to go without any protection. The images they produced probably did more to set people's opinions and views of that period than any other single factor. Neither did much to contribute to any glory or hero myths, more the opposite.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-18-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Edited quote, adjusted accordingly
Old 02-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

If you are of an age where you remember that period, you will see a photo during this show that burned into your mind then and probably stays with you today.

Must see if you can find it.
I am of that age. I haven't seen the show but the single Viet Nam photo burned into my mind is Nick Ut's picture of the little girl burned by napalm.
There are no words...

As far as I am aware, Mr. Ut survived the war and is now retired in Los Angeles.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
I am of that age. I haven't seen the show but the single Viet Nam photo burned into my mind is Nick Ut's picture of the little girl burned by napalm.
There are no words...

As far as I am aware, Mr. Ut survived the war and is now retired in Los Angeles.
Nick Ut's brother worked for AP before Nick. He was killed covering a US Ranger Battalion. His family convinced the head of AP to hire Nick. After making that photo, Nick took the girl to a hospital and probably saved her life.

During the show, they interviewed the now grown woman who was the subject of that photo.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM
G625 mistral-k

I've not seen the show (we do not have cable), however the photo by Eddie Adams of the execution of a Vietcong prisoner and Nick Ut's photo of the girl burning from napalm both brought into my young mind the reality and horrors of war. Unfortunately, lost in today's digital recording of events is the single moment and unspoken emotionalism and story a photography is able to capture with a single photograph. Perhaps due to my youth, it seemed photo journalism entered into it's renaissance during this time period.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM

I'm sure the OP has/had no intention of being controversial, however the topic itself is perhaps one of the MOST controversial topics there is and ones point of view about "war" or anything related to it {in this case a photographer} will vary dramatically.

I will spare everyone my opinions on this post as I'm sure other will do the same.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-20-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Comment to mods and admin removed
Old 02-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I understand Jessup'e concerns but I'm grateful to HHP for making me aware of this TV series.

The war photographers who report on conflicts go a long dangerous way to show us the horror and effects of conflict and I know of none that glorify war.

I feel that the general public should be shown what is happening.

Besides, it would be something of an occasion to see actual history shown on the history channel wouldn't it? I look forward to it coming to Europe.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-18-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 AM

"Besides, it would be something of an occasion to see actual history shown on the history channel wouldn't it?"

Brilliant!

This made me spit a 4 AM ginger ale.

Greg Rappleye

Last edited by Greg Rappleye; 02-20-2018 at 05:08 AM. Reason: time

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic