The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
That's kinda messed up. Mitigates the value on the onboard mixer to some degree. Granted, we use outboard mixers mostly but the value of the EON One Pro is that it is "all-in-one". But if it doesn't deliver on its promise, ....$1499 is a lot of coin.
In addition to having no Mid EQ (which, IMHO, is a necessity if you are using K&K pickups), and no notch filter which is crucial to me.

After following this and the former thread, I honestly do not get why anyone would buy this thing. You could get a very nice used Fishman SA220 for $750, or a new SA330 for $1k.

But, we all get to like what we like I guess.

Steve
Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
In addition to having no Mid EQ (which, IMHO, is a necessity if you are using K&K pickups), and no notch filter which is crucial to me.

After following this and the former thread, I honestly do not get why anyone would buy this thing. You could get a very nice used Fishman SA220 for $750, or a new SA330 for $1k.

But, we all get to like what we like I guess.

Steve
I think the draw to the One was the sound quality and the evenness of the spread from front to back and side-to-side. I don't know if anyone compared it directly to the Fishsticks, but that is the best part of the JBL One. The realization that the mixer was inadequate by itself was the disappointment, but adding an external mixer made life whole again.

The draw of the One Pro, in my opinion, is the battery and possibly phantom power and hi-z. Knowing that the mixer is STILL inadequate is even more disappointing than the One, because JBL knew there was a problem and didn't fix it. Unless you need an enclosed battery there is no reason to choose the One Pro over other options that are cheaper like the original One or similarly prices options like the HK Nano 608i.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I think the draw to the One was the sound quality and the evenness of the spread from front to back and side-to-side. I don't know if anyone compared it directly to the Fishsticks, but that is the best part of the JBL One.
Dragonfly did you see my private message?

The French magazine evaluate the horizontal spread to 80° which is less than a QSC K8 for example. The HK nano achieve wider spreading and of course the Bose L1 is the champ.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-29-2017, 01:31 PM

The battery was the only reason for my excitement (as a busker). But now it seems like an extremely terrible purchase especially at that price...
Old 09-29-2017, 04:38 PM

@Cuki79 I did see your private message and downloaded the PDF, but since it was in a language I'm unfamiliar with, I skimmed it and haven't gotten a chance to get back to it. Thanks for sending those documents.

@necrome If they can fix the whistling noise I'd be cool with it. If relying on the built-in mixer you need to make sure it can do what you want or you have outboard gear that can work for you. For a busker, this would be a nice compact solution with great sound and coverage, IF it didn't intermittently whistle.

UPDATE:

I called JBL and talk with a someone who was more interested in the problem than the person I talked to about the first One Pro. This guy asked many more questions, asked for the serial number and video so he could track the issue. He did say to send it back to Musician's Friend, but he seemed interested in the issue especially since this is a new product. He did say I was the only one who reported this, but it is early yet and that is what they all say no matter how many people have reported a problem. He asked if I was near a radio tower, he asked about scenarios when the noise happened, he took notes, so hopefully, someone will be looking at this so it can be addressed.

I have a bedroom that is set up as a recording studio, mixing desk with an interface, channel strips at one end, recording area at the other end, with amps, monitors, PA speakers, keyboard and none of my other equipment produce any whistling like this or have any other interference. I am certain this is strictly a One Pro issue.

So I've started the return process.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:27 AM

Not having a mids on EQ is a huge no-no for me as well because I don't run an external EQ. Thank you so much for taking all the trouble and letting us know of the issues sir, I hope they go above-and-beyond for you in this matter!
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 AM

I did some messing around with just the guitar, mic and iPad for Bluetooth music. I played in my living room with high ceilings that open to the entryway and dining room and in my den about 14x12 with 8 ft ceilings and the One Pro does a good job projecting and filling the room. Though, I keep finding the bass mushy. I wanted so badly to be able to EQ the output.

When playing Bluetooth music of all genre's it did well. Plenty of bass to be had in this Pro version. It could easily do well in a house party situation. It can get plenty loud on Bluetooth.

I had it on battery the whole time, which was nice to just be able to walk around with it and only have to flip the power switch. No worries of where the outlets were and how long the power cord was.

I did hear the high-pitched whistle again, like a dog whistle in that it wasn't projecting loudly but it was piercing, not painfully so, just that you noticed it right away and wonder where is that coming from.

My final conclusion (putting the whistling aside) is that since JBL didn't fix the shortcomings of the mixer it isn't a step up from the original One even with the addition of the phantom power and hi-z. This is because even with a sensitive dynamic mic the mismatch in levels of the mic input to hi-z is too great. After matching the mic and guitar levels you have to have the master way up to get the volume you want from the mic. In a loud space, you may run out of volume that you might otherwise have with an external mixer or pre-amp. This is a hard pill to swallow after shelling out that amount of money.

The beauty of the One Pro is the battery, but I just can't get comfortable with paying $500 for a battery when an external mixer or pre-amp is very necessary. It's like @open-road-matt said about the original One, if they had just made it a bring-your-own-mixer PA it would have been perfect.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 10-03-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:

The beauty of the One Pro is the battery, but I just can't get comfortable with paying $500 for a battery when an external mixer or pre-amp is very necessary.
Also, one may infer you'd have to add another $400 the day the battery dies...

When will you get the HK nano 608i?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-01-2017, 04:14 AM

Nano 608i and s-connect pole come on Wed.

Last edited by dragonfly66; 10-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 PM

I received the HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i and I was surprised Full Compass also sent an add-on pole and a speakon cable. So really I didn't need the s-connect cable which was $150 unless I wanted the ability to adjust the height more specifically. You have two specific heights with the add-on pole, where the s-connect is adjustable and it has an audio cable built in. So the add-on pole with separate speak-on cable will be the back up to the s-connect cable.

Anyway, as a summary of how it compares to the JBL One Pro, I would say there is no comparison the 608i beats it in every possible way where they are comparable, except maybe the One Pro is little lighter. Where they don't compare is, the 608i is $100 more, plus you would need to pay $120 for add-on pole w/ Speakon cable OR $150 for the s-connect cable and it doesn't have a battery. The JBL doesn't have a digital mixer with app.

SOUND
The 608i is very clear and the bass is tight. When playing music over Bluetooth for a party I would want to turn up the sub, which you can do on the 608i. The sub held together fine during my testing, however, if you pump up the sub you may be peaking which is indicated by a light on the mixer that turns red. The audio from my mic and from my guitar sounded great. With my iPad I was able to do some specific channel EQ, but to be honest I didn't have to do much, though I did pull out some bass from both my mic and guitar. I found the sound to be clear and even as I got further away.

The One Pro has very clear tops, but the bass was terribly mushy. It might be possible to EQ the source better to mitigate this. It played Bluetooth music very good and loud. As with the 608i I needed to dial out some bass from mic and guitar, though I could not get a sound I liked from my guitar with just the bass and treble controls. I found the sound to be clear and even as I got further away.

Both of them required you to be at least 6-8 feet away to get the full sound of the top and sub when at their full height. Both allow the tops to be at a shorter height for audiences that are closer.

Both allowed me to be right in front of the unit with a mic and no noticeable feedback. I was using a Sennheiser e935 cardioid dynamic mic.

Both can get loud, though on paper the 608i has more power. I think most of that power is for the sub as it has its own control. Both projected the sound well from my living room through the dining room into the den.

The on-board reverb on the One Pro isn't that usable. The decay is so long I found myself only turning it up not more than 9 o'clock because otherwise it is too much. The 608i has I 7 different options for reverb, including slap, but it is global, so you cannot have different reverbs on different channels. I found the reverb the medium and small reverbs worked best in my home.

Overall I think the sound from the 608i is better, mainly because of how the sub sounds, but also because the tops were a little more clear. The digital mixer did allow for refining of the EQ but you must have an iPad to do that, otherwise, you have bass and treble like the One Pro. I thought the guitar and mic sounded better on the 608i without any refinement though.

BUILD
They both look to be built well. Both implore hard plastic on the outside with the mixer being metal. Both easy to put together and take apart. The One Pro is more compact in that once packed up you have everything in one piece. The 608i does store the speakers, but the pole options are external so you have to carry one more thing, albeit not that heavy. The 608i add-on pole is more stiff in comparison to the One Pro towers, but the One Pro pieces are sturdy and I never feared it was going to fall over. The 608i s-connect pole is about the same as the One Pro pieces because it is like a mic stand. Both are easy to carry with one hand once packed up. The One Pro is a little taller and a little slimmer. The One Pro looks nicer, the lines smoother, where the 608i looks a little more industrial.

NOTE: I was hearing high-pitched noises through the speakers of One Pro which was the reason I sent it back. This occurred on two different One Pros from Musician's Friend. This high-pitched noise was not related to inputs or power options or charging the battery. Maybe I could have stuck it out with JBL, but I don't have time to be part of figuring out their problems.

MIXER and I/O
This is where the difference between them diverges in a big way. The mixer on the One Pro has much lower gain than the 608i. Using the hi-z for direct guitar and a straight in dynamic mic the levels aren't in the same ballpark when they are matched, which requires you to push the master on the One Pro to get a decent volume from out to the audience. Even so, if you have a pre-amped signal the JBL has a lot more headroom. With the 608i mixer I had the option of mic/hi-z/line on the 4 combo inputs. I only had to turn up the mic and guitar to 11 o'clock, with the master at noon to get a very good signal. The guitar I used is a Taylor 412ce Ltd 2009 sitka top/ walnut back and sides with maple neck. All controls were on at noon.

The 608i has 8 inputs, an extra stereo line input to the One Pro's 6.

The 608i can do stereo. So if you have stereo effects or harmonizers that pans the harmony voices you can hear them in stereo with the 608i.

Like the One Pro the 608i has a connect out to another Lucas Nano. The 608i also has an aux out if you want to use an external effects unit. You have the option of pre or post fader. If you using external effects they suggest returning back into the 7/8 RCA inputs. You can also use the aux send for monitoring. If you choose to use the Aux send you will not be able to use the onboard reverb. I can't tell if the aux is stereo out as it doesn't say TRS anywhere.

The One Pro has an RCA monitor output with volume control and a pass thru output with no volume control. 608i have stereo 1/4" out. There is a lot more stuff you can do with the 608i monitor, it's in the manual. In addition, the iPad app allows for EQing the master output. The iPad app, Lucas Nano Remote, allows for contour balance, reverb/aux send, 4 band EQ and compression. Inputs 7/8 (Bluetooth or 1/8" input) does not have contour or rever/aux send, but does have the rest of the options of the other inputs.

CONCLUSION
I returned the One Pro because of the high-pitched noise I was hearing in the speakers, but if I didn't hear that the weirdness of the mixer and the mushy bass would have been enough to try something else. After hearing the 608i I love it and plan to keep it. Well, there is no battery, but there is certainly far more versatility and better sound. I was able to get a demo unit for the 608i at a healthy discount and got a ridiculous discount on the One Pro because of Backstage points at Musician's Friend. It would have been painful paying full price for either one actually. But if I had to choose I would not mind paying the extra $220-$250 for the 608i to get something I think sounds better and has a more useable mixer. The One is arguably more versatile because of the battery. I'm fine right now using the 608i as my solo rig without the ability to use battery power.

NOTE: I looked up what would be necessary to battery power the 608i and it is truly cost prohibitive, mainly because the 608i needs 70A at 120V at startup (inrush current) with a peak current of 6A during regular use. When I had the One (not the One Pro) I looked at what it would take to run on battery power and I found it needs 3.6A for regular usage, not sure what the required inrush current was. So it is very likely the JBL One Pro's increase cost is directly related to the battery.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Congratulation Dragonfly

did you try the expert mode on the ipad app?

The ipad app can have easy mode with simple EQ and one-knob compressor on each channel or full parametrics, low cut, high shelf...

Can you comment on the horizontal spread? The French magazine said the HK was better than the 1st eon one.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-04-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Can you comment on the horizontal spread? The French magazine said the HK was better than the 1st eon one.
Congrats, Dragonfly!!!

I would love to know the answer to the question posted by Cuki79.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2017, 04:08 AM

Default Have other experiences with JBL Eon One pro

It looks like JBL Eon Pro is a completely failed product. This will tell at least two guys who have tested the device. Is this the last word, or is there some positive experience of using the amplifier?

I personally play acoustic guitar and also backing guitar with electric guitar. External effects are in use with Boss VE-8 and Mooer 100 Multiefect. The show usually has 10 to 80 people and the genre is folk / blues. It would be very interesting to use battery power. Now I have HK Audio Lukas nano 300 which works fine.

The JBL Eon One Pro will arrive here in Europe one month later. I've already ordered it. Hopefully, despite the negative feedback, the device works.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

NOTE: I was hearing high-pitched noises through the speakers of One Pro which was the reason I sent it back. This occurred on two different One Pros from Musician's Friend.
I have been following this thread with great interest as I have been contemplating selling my Fishmann SA220
So just to make sure I am understanding correctly , you sent back the JBL after receiving the HK and comparing directly side by side Yes?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM

He decided to sent it back after he compared the two products.

As Dragonfly wrote, those were the reasons:

"I returned the One Pro because of the high-pitched noise I was hearing in the speakers, but if I didn't hear that, the weirdness of the mixer and the mushy bass would have been enough to try something else."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification