The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Doug Young's Amplification book question.

I'm going to ask the question here first before asking Doug Young himself (if I receive no responses). For those of you with Doug's "Acoustic Guitar Amplification Essentials Complete Edition" book (PDF) are you able to read the book on its own as a complete source or do you need to watch the videos? In other words, is everything in the videos in the book?

I'd like something where I can step away from my computer/tv and enjoy reading a book (or printed PDF). So, even though I'm sure the videos are very helpful, is all of the info contained in the videos contained in the book?

Also, approximately many pages is the book?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 PM

It's only $4 bucks. The file is 153MB in size. I just bought it and am downloading it to my phone. It's a Zip.exe file. It also includes video links. This will be fun with my Chromecast and Roku on the big screen TV and surround sound system. I'll let you know more of what you're asking after the download finishes and I extract the file. Ric
Old 12-11-2015, 03:50 PM

The video is 22 minutes long. The book is 10 pages with illustrations, where needed. It covers everything from pickups and microphones, through the big stage. From what I've read so far, the book will give you the information you need. I can only tell you this book is written from Doug Young's decades of experience. I'm looking to finishing the book tonight and watching the video and listening in full fidelity. Ric
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
The video is 22 minutes long. The book is 10 pages with illustrations, where needed. It covers everything from pickups and microphones, through the big stage. From what I've read so far, the book will give you the information you need. I can only tell you this book is written from Doug Young's decades of experience. I'm looking to finishing the book tonight and watching the video and listening in full fidelity. Ric
Hi Doug, thanks for the info. Great timing. I think what you got for $4 wasn't the Complete Edition but one (or some) of the chapters within it. There are a few $4 options available The Complete Edition is $24.99 US. What Title did you get?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 PM

Amplifiers and PA Systems Acoustic Guitar Amplification Essentials. I'll have to look at the others in the series, too. Ric
Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 PM

That and the one on the pickups are the ones I want to read the most. Perhaps I'll look into those two.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm going to ask the question here first before asking Doug Young himself (if I receive no responses). For those of you with Doug's "Acoustic Guitar Amplification Essentials Complete Edition" book (PDF) are you able to read the book on its own as a complete source or do you need to watch the videos? In other words, is everything in the videos in the book?

I'd like something where I can step away from my computer/tv and enjoy reading a book (or printed PDF). So, even though I'm sure the videos are very helpful, is all of the info contained in the videos contained in the book?

Thanks.
Hi Dru, thanks for the interest in the book. We put a ton of work into that! So I hope it's helpful to some. I'm actually not sure how many pages it adds up to, but I suspect somewhere around 100 pages - maybe more, it's a full book, and we tried to cover everything we could think of that could be useful. Amps, PAs, monitors, pickups, preamps, DIs, mics, stage setups, and so on.

To answer your question - the book stands alone, you could easily read it, and hopefully get something out of it without the video at all. And you can buy the whole book, or just individual chapters. But the video is meant to augment the book with things you just can't address with only words. I don't recall everything we shot for those, but basically if you want to hear what different pickups/amps/sound system sound like, see/hear demos of EQing, adjusting feedback filters, even a demo of a luthier installing a pickup, then the videos provide something extra. They're not just me reading the book to you :-)

if you check it out, I'd love to hear if it helps, and I'm also happy to answer questions or help in any way.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Doug…

Wow what a great book/project.

It's nice to know there is a consolidation of the information which so many of us had to cobble together through trial-n-error, experimentation, costly mistakes over the years.

Looked it over on the Acoustic Guitar 'store'. Thanks again…

I think I know what I may request in my Christmas Stocking.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Hi Dru, thanks for the interest in the book. We put a ton of work into that! So I hope it's helpful to some. I'm actually not sure how many pages it adds up to, but I suspect somewhere around 100 pages - maybe more, it's a full book, and we tried to cover everything we could think of that could be useful. Amps, PAs, monitors, pickups, preamps, DIs, mics, stage setups, and so on.

To answer your question - the book stands alone, you could easily read it, and hopefully get something out of it without the video at all. And you can buy the whole book, or just individual chapters. But the video is meant to augment the book with things you just can't address with only words. I don't recall everything we shot for those, but basically if you want to hear what different pickups/amps/sound system sound like, see/hear demos of EQing, adjusting feedback filters, even a demo of a luthier installing a pickup, then the videos provide something extra. They're not just me reading the book to you :-)

if you check it out, I'd love to hear if it helps, and I'm also happy to answer questions or help in any way.
Thanks Doug - I appreciate you chiming in and answering my questions! It sounds like an excellent resource - I'm always looking for great guitar related books.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM

I read the eBook last night and watched the video on the big screen. Excellent and easy to read. The video was more detailed than I expected as an addition to the eBook, which is a nice surprise. All that information and information for the price of a Big Mac. It's the work of many. I should have written down all the names. Ric
Old 12-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
I read the eBook last night and watched the video on the big screen. Excellent and easy to read. The video was more detailed than I expected as an addition to the eBook, which is a nice surprise. All that information and information for the price of a Big Mac. It's the work of many. I should have written down all the names. Ric
Thanks for the follow-up, Doug. Sounds like a great resource.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=ricdoug;4747983]watched the video on the big screen. /QUOTE]

That's frightening :-) Glad to hear it was helpful.

Yes, although I'm the primary author, I had a ton of help on this, from Teja Gerken and Scott Nygaard for both editorial work and adding their experience and ideas to the content, to the video crew at AG, Alan Perlman helping out with pickup installs, others I'm probably forgetting.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Exclamation Download deal ending soon

I had an email from Stringletter/Acoustic Guitar Magazine about a deal for Acoustic Guitar Amplification Essentials. I had been meaning to buy it anyway, and the sale price persuaded me to grab it today. It's only available until midnight (11:59 PM, 12/14). The download comes as a ZIP file.
http://store.acousticguitar.com/coll...ion-essentials

Good stuff.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the catch, FolkRock Blues. I just ordered the complete set for $9 bucks. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkRock Rules View Post
I had an email from Stringletter/Acoustic Guitar Magazine about a deal for Acoustic Guitar Amplification Essentials. I had been meaning to buy it anyway, and the sale price persuaded me to grab it today. It's only available until midnight (11:59 PM, 12/14). The download comes as a ZIP file.
http://store.acousticguitar.com/coll...ion-essentials

Good stuff.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 AM

Thanks for posting this. In my short time on this forum I have realized all the wealth of information that comes from Doug Young,and for $9 this is a no brainer. Thanks OP and thanks Doug Young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification