The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Made it to Gettysburg

Went to the Gettysburg National Military Park today. I only had 1.5 hours to spend there so it was spent at the cemetery and lots of walking around. I'm sure I'll have another chance to go again in the next few weeks and I'll have more time.

Who's been there?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:47 PM

I was fanatically interested in the Civil War as a kid. Visiting Gettysburg was quite an eye opener for me. Seeing the actual terrain, you understand how casualties were so high. Be sure to go to Devil's Den. Looking at where Pickett's Charge took place, its hard to believe soldiers didn't refuse to charge. Anybody can look at that and immediately see the futility of crossing that field in a frontal assault on entrenched artillery.

If you ever get to visit Seven Pines in Virgina, its very interesting. It was all close quarters small arms combat in a densely wooded compact area. The museum there had a huge number of examples of .577 bullets hitting each other in mid air, so dense was the fire in so small an area.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Never been to any US civil war sites but my city was besieged by Government troops for five days during our civil war in 1642.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Never been to any US civil war sites but my city was besieged by Government troops for five days during our civil war in 1642.
"Charles" not popular name in your town?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I was fanatically interested in the Civil War as a kid. Visiting Gettysburg was quite an eye opener for me. Seeing the actual terrain, you understand how casualties were so high. Be sure to go to Devil's Den. Looking at where Pickett's Charge took place, its hard to believe soldiers didn't refuse to charge. Anybody can look at that and immediately see the futility of crossing that field in a frontal assault on entrenched artillery.

If you ever get to visit Seven Pines in Virgina, its very interesting. It was all close quarters small arms combat in a densely wooded compact area. The museum there had a huge number of examples of .577 bullets hitting each other in mid air, so dense was the fire in so small an area.
I'll keep Devil's Den in mind next time I go. I made this trip spur of the moment with no research ahead of time. Still a great visit.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 PM

Interesting story, to me at least. Michael Medved, conservative, religious fellow that he is camped there illegally in his college days. swears up and down they had to hightail it out of there due to ghosts.

When someone like that, who is not prone to believe in such things, tells you a story like that, it gives one pause...
Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

The walking tour, or the individually licensed tour guides are worth it.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Throughout 40 days of the Normandy Invasion, 2700 allied combat deaths. Over the 3 days of Gettysburg,7800.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Love to go sometime and relive the story of the Minnesota 1st!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 PM

We visited there on a beautiful, early December day. The holly was blooming, the air was balmy, and at each turn, another marker described the carnage that had taken place there.

The stories were beyond poignant: one told of a Confederate farmboy who found himself back in his hometown of Gettysburg. He and his brother (a Union soldier) hunkered down in their farmhouse trying to keep it from being destroyed.

The beauty of the day juxtaposed against the horror that took place still makes my mind reel.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
...The stories were beyond poignant: one told of a Confederate farmboy who found himself back in his hometown of Gettysburg. He and his brother (a Union soldier) hunkered down in their farmhouse trying to keep it from being destroyed.

The beauty of the day juxtaposed against the horror that took place still makes my mind reel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Love to go sometime and relive the story of the Minnesota 1st!
Make it sooner than later, Marty - seems nothing is forever...
Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I've flown over it probably a thousand times, so I got pretty good at identifying the major landmarks of the battlefield. I have not been to it on the ground, but I would very much enjoy that experience.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Ive been there once and its really interesting but spread out. Very hard to get a sense of how it alltook place. Just last night i talked to my son in law who had that day talked to fellow who said one of his relatives was in Pickett's charge and the color bearer fell as soon as it started so he picked it up and made it all the way to the Federal lines without a scratch, was captured and spent the rest of the war in a Federal prison camp and survived it all. I live twenty minutes from Appomattox "where the North and South reunited".
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Weird coincidence of the day: my post above was my 1,863rd on the AGF. What are the chances of that?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM

I was there on a beautiful fall day a few years ago. I'm not a civil War buff but I still found it very interesting. Terrain of Rolling hills and farmland is so peaceful it's hard to imagine the carnage that was taking place. I also went to the nearby cemetery where Lincoln gave his famous address.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic