The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-25-2024, 01:04 PM

I gave up on guitar supports & foot stools years ago. All my guitars are now equipped with 2 strap buttons, one at the heel of the neck, and the other at the bottom of the lower bout, and each guitar has it's own strap. Their simple, never slips, and very liberating. Also less gear to carry around or mess with.

Of course I'm not a purest, so it's probably not for everybody.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post
I gave up on guitar supports & foot stools years ago. All my guitars are now equipped with 2 strap buttons, one at the heel of the neck, and the other at the bottom of the lower bout, and each guitar has it's own strap. Their simple, never slips, and very liberating. Also less gear to carry around or mess with.
I tried the strap approach for a while, especially when I was spending more time on electric and steel-string acoustic guitars than classical. I don't really like it for several reasons:

First is that hanging a guitar around my neck tends to cause neck and/or upper-back strain after a while, so that I don't play as much because it becomes uncomfortable.

Next is that the process of putting the guitar with a strap on and taking it off my body, as well as the process of putting the guitar on and taking it off the stand are all significantly more cumbersome than with a GuitarLift, which is like a part of the guitar where I can just grab the guitar and set it on my leg or hang it back up on the stand almost instantly. It may sound like a minor difference but it's enough to discourage me from playing the guitar as often because dealing with dangling straps is just annoying. They just seem to have a way of getting tangled or caught up in everything.

People often underestimate how much small differences in comfort or convenience can affect human behavior.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical