The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-02-2024, 03:41 PM

Default Advice Needed - Buying New Classical Guitar

[Advice Needed] Purchasing classical guitar

I’ve been learning some classical/flamenco/bossa stuff this past few months and am really enjoying it. I’ve been playing on a Cordoba Dolce 7/8 which I managed to buy a few years ago for a good price. However, unfortunately it has been quite severely damaged and will cost more to repair than replace. So… I’m now on the lookout for a replacement.

I would like a step up in quality, e.g. all solid wood, and really like parlour sized (7/8) guitars, as my hands are on the smaller side. It’s a very comfortable size!

My budget is up to £1,500 and I’m based in the UK. Can you recommend any guitars? I’ve seen the Cordoba C9 Parlor is quite popular, however, I’d like a few options to look at…

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2024, 12:00 PM

Sign-up at the Delcamp forums and inquire there.

Follow the sign-up protocols of introducing yourself first.

Provide your location in the UK so you don't get ridiculous advice from people telling you to shop at Guitar Center.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:10 AM

I got a Manuel Rodriguez Magistral about a year ago, and I have been extremely happy. I opted for the most affordable wood combination D-C which is cedar/mahogany, all solid woods. Also nut bone and saddle, 12-hole bridge.

I find it to be so lively and responsive, really a bargain at that price point IMO. Just beautifully built, perfect setup, neck plays really nice.

I have zero experience with high end classical instruments, so I am not going to claim that it challenges any of those. But I surely like it much better than any other guitar I have come across in this price range.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/manuel_rod...1&gad_source=1

Here's a review of the cedar/walnut E-C version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-PDMSPMFM

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 02-04-2024, 09:05 AM

I’d shop locally, if you can, get to know the owner and their inventory. The one I patronize encourages buyers to take it home for a week and try it out. Then upon return try out another or purchase or neither. No pressure. It’s a really great way to confirm whether a guitar is right for you. Builds loyalty to the business, etc.

And be open to used vs. new, so many great guitars out there to select from.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:04 AM

Since you're in the UK and mention parlour (sized) guitars you should probably have a look at Richard Guitars. I'm sure they'll have a selection of classical guitars but they'll also have an actual nylon-string parlour, the Dowina Bona Vida. Good, all-solid instruments, and a priori in your budget, though evidently not a "real classical".

The Delcamp forum is indexed via google, no need to sign up and deal with wonky admins there to research a question like this! One advice you're likely to get there is about Picado guitars. New they'll be about 2x your budget but a quick search suggests you can find used ones that fit. Finding a 7/8 model will be harder, probably.

Looking at Thomann's offering in 7/8 I think the 2 top models should be safe choices: the Alhambra Senorita 9P 7/8 and the Hanika 50TBF-7/8. The latter is spruce + pear which I think should make it more suitable for flamenco and Brazilian music (IIRC pearwood is a rather ideal tonewood, local/sustainable and with a long history of use in musical instruments).

FWIW, smaller hands don't limit you to a smaller-size instrument; you can also look at regular-sized instruments with a shorter scale length and/or narrower nut.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-04-2024, 04:55 PM

Interesting brand btw, Hanika. I'd heard good things about them but never really researched them. Did that today after finding the video above, and heard a couple of their models with "domestic" B&S tonewoods that really surprised me in a positive sense. Even learned about an apparently traditional European tonewood I'd never heard of, chequers!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-10-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjamiedavid View Post
[Advice Needed] Purchasing classical guitar

I’ve been learning some classical/flamenco/bossa stuff this past few months and am really enjoying it. I’ve been playing on a Cordoba Dolce 7/8 which I managed to buy a few years ago for a good price. However, unfortunately it has been quite severely damaged and will cost more to repair than replace. So… I’m now on the lookout for a replacement.

Thanks!
Love 7.8 Dolces myself- I currently have three so I'll always have one, and got them at very good prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar