The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Samson Go-mic

Well, I was in the market for a small, cheap, USB mic and I think I hit the jackpot with the Samson Go-mic.

I haven't yet recorded any music on it, but I've listened to the sounds of my voice AND the guitar through this mic, and they sound fantastic.

Here's the basic specs from what I've observed:

-Size when folded: 2.75" long, 1.75" wide, 0.75" deep
-Size when unfolded (in use): 4.00" long, 1.75" wide, 3.00" tall (deep)

-Physical features: -padded clip to attach to computer
-weighted base
-swiveling feature allows mic a wide range of movement
-hole which allows for the mic to attach onto a stand

-Audio features: -MiniUSB port
-small headphone socket
-Three way switch: Omni, Cardioid, Cardioid with 10db buffer
-Red/Green LED Green for good sound, Red for poor sound

-Items that come with the mic:
-Small case
-USB cord
-Nut and clip for mic-stand
-Instructions
-CD with CakeWalk Music Creator software

I hope to have a couple of test recordings completed by this evening, but here's my impressions so far:

To start, this mic is small, but heavy for it's size. The body of the mic is mounted pretty loosely onto the clip attachment, which makes the mic move when the USB cable and my headphone is attached to the mic. However, aside from that the build seems pretty solid. I can immediately see that this mic could be hung from the ceiling by a wire, attached to a computer, mic-stand, door handle, etc... Anywhere you can think of to mount this mic, it'll fit.

Sound quality is hardly professional, but it is very good for a $40 mic. The sound produced seems to be very good quality, better that what would come from a CD, and much better than my computer speakers of my $20 headphones. That obviously puts me at a disadvantage for determining the true sound quality, which is why I need to get a couple of files loaded ASAP for you people to have a listen and make your own comments.

Ease of use, probably the biggest asset for this mic. It's got a 3 way switch for omnidirectional, cardioid, or cardioid with a 10db buffer. All the magic happens on the computer and in the computer program. Versatility is another big plus for this mic, it's worked on any sound app I've applied the mic to thus far, not just the provided software.

Anyway, these are my first impressions. I should also mention the instruction booklet is only about 10 pages thick, and the Creator sound software I'm getting the hang of pretty quickly. I should warn that this mic is sensitive to background noise, so the room needs to be very, very quiet. However, in the cardioid mode, especially with the buffer mode on, the sound quality is very much to my liking.

While I don't have a sound file uploaded yet, here is a photo from amazon.com, where I bought the mic from online.

--James
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

I used to have one of those before I came across a used Focusrite Scarlett here. It wasnt bad, if I remember. I gave it to a buddy of mine but he hasn't used it much.

Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Well we'll be looking for a sample recording of some quality pickin'. Couple screen shots of the software would cool.

I just dropped $100 on a Blue Yeti.......
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Okay, I got a video up on youtube that uses this mic. It's my first original song. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0pk...ature=youtu.be

To me, the sound feels pretty rich. Too bad I don't have a full band at my disposal, I think these mics do the job pretty well.

I kept the editing to a minimum, only removing a bit of static that was present, and lowering the overall volume so that my speakers don't blow up every time I play it.

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

--James

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD