The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Strings on CF... rhythm beast

I play with a flatpick, controlled dynamics... occasional hard strum emphasis, but mostly a softer strumming hand. I do enjoy fast, compelling polyrhythms so the strings get plenty of pick contact. I have tried several sets of Elixir and Martin coated strings. I like the tone well enough, but the coating starts shredding off the string within a few weeks.

I am finding the Light PBs I use on my Adi/Mahog guitars to be overly bright on my WS1000.

I'd like to warm the tone up a bit. Thomastic-Infield Plectrum sound like a good solution, but they are too expensive at $20+ per set... I've not tried them.

For my playing style (pick, not flesh fingerstyle), any recommendation for warmth without too much loss of volume/projection?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM

Martin SP Lifespan PBs have been great on my CA. Sound good, last and don't feather like elixirs
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 PM

I just changed the store (factory?) Elixir lights on my Rainsong concert for the first time, swapping them for my usual go-to of D'Addario phosphor bronze bluegrass strings (light top, heavy bottom - oo er missus!). I have to let them settle in and try them in a variety of venues, but so far I think the heavier bottom is good. They seem to like a thicker pick than I usually use, so we'll see how that goes, too. I may try Monel at some point.

I'd like to hear how others have strung their CF guitars.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Martin SP Lifespan PBs have been great on my CA. Sound good, last and don't feather like elixirs
I tried the Lifespans, but found that the coatings did start flaking off after about 30 hours of playtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
I just changed the Elixir lights on my Rainsong... swapping them for my usual go-to of D'Addario phosphor bronze bluegrass strings (light top, heavy bottom - oo er missus!)... They seem to like a thicker pick than I usually use, so we'll see how that goes, too. I may try Monel at some point. I'd like to hear how others have strung their CF guitars.
I switched on my WS-1000 to Martin-Marquis Lights and I like them well enough after 10 hours of play time. I am still not quite happy with the recording results (I record my practices occasionally), think I will also try the Monels... I have a suspicion that may be what I'm looking for.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:09 PM

I use John Pearse new mediums. Stings 1, 2 and 6 are basically mediums, while strings 3-5 are lights. Beefs up the tone (compared to lights) without being that much harder to play.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I play with a flatpick, controlled dynamics... occasional hard strum emphasis, but mostly a softer strumming hand. I do enjoy fast, compelling polyrhythms so the strings get plenty of pick contact. I have tried several sets of Elixir and Martin coated strings. I like the tone well enough, but the coating starts shredding off the string within a few weeks.

I am finding the Light PBs I use on my Adi/Mahog guitars to be overly bright on my WS1000.

I'd like to warm the tone up a bit. Thomastic-Infield Plectrum sound like a good solution, but they are too expensive at $20+ per set... I've not tried them.

For my playing style (pick, not flesh fingerstyle), any recommendation for warmth without too much loss of volume/projection?
Ernie Ball 2003 Earthwood Medium Light 80/20 Bronze Acoustic String Set (12 - 54)
Plenty of punch, not too bright like Phosphor is on my Rainsong Dred
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-21-2015, 02:18 AM

I've just tried a set of John Pearse 11s, PB and silk.

I play fingerpicking blues, and I've really liked so far. The L13 is responsive enough to sound great with these, even though their tension is below typical 11s (total tension =128pounds).

The bottom four strings have really mellowed out and the playability is really, really good. The neck hasn't moved at all, of course
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Try Martin Marquis PBs. I personally think that they are so warm as to verge on "muddy", but on a CF guitar they might be perfect.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-21-2015, 02:05 PM

I just now changed the (very) bright strings that came on my pre-owned RainSong LA2-LE to a set of John Pearse pure nickel wound light gauge.

At first blush, they have warmed the guitar up slightly, while losing nothing of the delineation between notes that seems to me the hallmark of Carbon guitars.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 PM

Haven't had any issue with the Cleartone coating flaking. One set I had on for a good 4 months. The SP lifespans seem to sound more like regular strings than Elixirs. The elixirs sound more "dull" I guess by comparison. I mean not bad---I like them. They just don't seem to sound as articulate as the lifespans to me. John Pearse strings are high grade stuff! They just last like the coated strings. Happy with Lifespans on my CA. I may try some Curt Mangans on my 12er next.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 AM

I also play with a flatpick, in a style that can best be described as "Mother Maybelle on uppers." I've recently had trouble with my left thumb joint and wrist - I assume just aging, aggravated by too much skiing (downhill and x-c) over many years, with the occasional fall and taking the impact on my hands, and too much wood splitting with a maul. I just purchased (through this forum) a used Shorty FT, to augment the OM that has been the standard instrument for playing "out" since '07. The idea was that the 12-fret neck and the short scale would be easier on the wrist and hand. I've been messing with a number of string combinations to try and get the most volume with the least shrillness, and the least stress on the thumb and wrist. I've just put on Newtone "Heritage" low-tension PB strings, in the medium-light (12/16/20/28/38/51) gauge, but with the unwound strings switched to .11 and .15. So far, it seems as though it may work (as long as these strings are readily available). We'll see.

Parenthetical question: Has anyone else had problems with the D or G string buzzing when playing with a capo, because Rainsongs have so little radius in the fingerboard (nearly flat), and the capos are mostly built for more radius, so don't clamp down hard enough on the middle strings? Or am I imagining it? May have to try a classic guitar capo.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I use John Pearse new mediums. Stings 1, 2 and 6 are basically mediums, while strings 3-5 are lights. Beefs up the tone (compared to lights) without being that much harder to play.
Plan to try these next on my Rainsong dread...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
I also play with a flatpick, in a style that can best be described as "Mother Maybelle on uppers." I've recently had trouble with my left thumb joint and wrist - I assume just aging, aggravated by too much skiing (downhill and x-c) over many years, with the occasional fall and taking the impact on my hands, and too much wood splitting with a maul. I just purchased (through this forum) a used Shorty FT, to augment the OM that has been the standard instrument for playing "out" since '07. The idea was that the 12-fret neck and the short scale would be easier on the wrist and hand. I've been messing with a number of string combinations to try and get the most volume with the least shrillness, and the least stress on the thumb and wrist. I've just put on Newtone "Heritage" low-tension PB strings, in the medium-light (12/16/20/28/38/51) gauge, but with the unwound strings switched to .11 and .15. So far, it seems as though it may work (as long as these strings are readily available). We'll see.

Parenthetical question: Has anyone else had problems with the D or G string buzzing when playing with a capo, because Rainsongs have so little radius in the fingerboard (nearly flat), and the capos are mostly built for more radius, so don't clamp down hard enough on the middle strings? Or am I imagining it? May have to try a classic guitar capo.
Nope. You are not crazy- I had this issue with a standard Shubb last night on my Shorty. The solution for me has been to clamp the capo as close to the fret wire as possible and with as little capo tension as possible (I've had the unfortunate experience with Kysers causing indentations on fret wire and that is why I will only use Shubbs). Even this does not help the situation completely. RainSong radius are pretty darn flat!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 PM

I think Rainsong is the only one of the main 4 CF builders that doesn't use stainless frets so it's good to take a bit extra care with the capo to prevent dents.

Journey also doesn't use stainless (yet)--but they are just beginning to grow so maybe they will in the future.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM

OP update on this thread: I've tried Monels and Silks, I still prefer my PB's after they settle in with a few hours of play. I am happy with both D'Addario and Martin Marquis PB lights.

Now... less string changes, more play time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber