The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 AM

Default OF-660 w/ Brass Bridge Pins Recorded Live

I recorded with a BOSS BR-80 in live recording mode which uses the built in condenser mics. Recording sensitivity was at 85%. The BR-80 was about 9-10 inches away from the 12th fret. The condenser mics record in stereo.

The Journey OF-660 has Martin 80/20 (12s) strings and brass bridge pins from www.pinzuk.com. The guitar has had a setup where the action was lowered at both the nut and saddle. the action at the 12th fret is just a hair above 6/64th.

I used my finger pads to pick. Its 1am and I'm sleepy so timing is not the greatest.

The song is an excerpt from All of Me by John Legend

http://dragonfly66forum.bandcamp.com...er-pad-picking

Last edited by dragonfly66; 03-08-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am a HUGE Steven Curtis Chapman fan. You may also know that in addition to all of the talented things SCC has done on guitar, he also loves to play in DADGAD tuned down 1/2 step. In fact, much or his later music was recorded with him playing guitar in this tuning.

So, recently I have been working on learning some of his music and I gotta tell you that this little OF660 tuned to DADGAD (down 1/2) strummed with a pick (unplugged) will absolutely light up the room. I cannot believe how much GREAT tone comes out of this little box.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am a HUGE Steven Curtis Chapman fan. You may also know that in addition to all of the talented things SCC has done on guitar, he also loves to play in DADGAD tuned down 1/2 step. In fact, much or his later music was recorded with him playing guitar in this tuning.

So, recently I have been working on learning some of his music and I gotta tell you that this little OF660 tuned to DADGAD (down 1/2) strummed with a pick (unplugged) will absolutely light up the room. I cannot believe how much GREAT tone comes out of this little box.
I love Chapman too. Phil Keaggy likes to play in this tuning as well and it sounds amazing. My Shorty absolutely loves DADGAD. I think certain guitars respond very nicely to DADGAD, or even half step down.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:48 AM
*mahoganut*

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I've been looking for the "perfect" travel guitar (specs for which are different for each person) for a number of years. My particular need is for a camping guitar - resistant to the humidity variances between 7000' Arizona (RH <5%) to full-on rain / mist / early morning small group song leading (RH 100%); playing around the campfire (20F on one side, 140F on the other!); reasonably small size; and on the other hand something I could take with me on a plane or car journey which would fit in the overhead or in a small space with limited protection.

All of course with acceptable tone and playability. My 'journey' began with a Martin backpacker. (Who could complain about the tone if there isn't any?) When Taylor introduced the Baby the tone so blew away the backpacker that it was "the" guitar for a couple of years, until the cramped fretboard finally led me to try a handful of fuller-sized (OMs and dreads) lower end wood guitars. At the time I could get those for ~$400, and the CF guitars were 3x and 4x that price. As our camping is "horse" camping, I was trying to avoid having a major cash event if a horse inadvertently stepped on a guitar!

But each time my early morning song-leading would turn out to be on a misting or rainy morning, I envied the CF guys. And that led me finally to a Rainsong OM from Ted, which has served me very well for almost everything I needed. Except the plane rides, and some concern when packing in the car - either a too-big case or accepting the risk of the gig bagged OM ending up under a computer bag.

Hence my high interest in the OF660. A couple of weeks ago from the up to date posts on this thread, it looked like a real production guitar was available - time to work the kinks out, production and distribution issues addressed, dealers having some depth of experience with them, etc. But I wanted some hands on...

A note via the website to Rob, also responded to by James, led me to a dealer just over an hour away, and earlier this week I took my Rainsong OM, a custom Mayes OO (ok, I know that was not really fair), and trucked on down to Joe Morris's shop in Purcell, OK, for an earful. I took the other two guitars to test against the OF in the same room, both playing myself and listening as Joe played one then another.

I found the OF to have a more pleasant tone than the Rainsong, which tends to be slightly chimey. Some might like that - I have never minded that tonal aspect with the Rainsong but like the OF's palette better. Volume wise in that smallish room, the OF sounded just fine compared with either of the other guitars. Some one mentioned a comparison with a dread - my experience has not found that dreads provide more volume than a small body - to a point. My Mayes, which is based on a 30s L1 shape, is incredibly loud, and Eric Skye's signature SCGC OO projects like crazy. And the OO's - or OMs - have the advantage of ergonomics. The OF excelled in comfort, with the wedge and bevels.

I play a variety of styles - some simple flatpicking, some rhythm / strumming, and some flesh/nail simple fingerpicking. All seemed to compare favorably when played on the OF vs the other two guitars.

I did put on a strap and play it standing, finding it slightly headstock-heavy, but not unreasonably so. Much of my camp playing is standing, so that was an important check.

Bottom line - I'm heading back to Joe's shop this morning to pick up the OF, and will likely be putting the faithful Rainsong up for sale.

I had one question which I'll put in another thread.

Cheers all,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

Last edited by riorider; 03-14-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:02 AM
*mahoganut*

My question is about the saddle - per Journey specs it is bone. From the close up in post 3 - third picture - you can see how "machined" the saddle appears. And that's what I noticed as well with the one I handled - the machining is so precise on the compensated (B) string path it looked molded (out of plastic or Tusq) rather than carved out of bone.

I sent an email off to Rob and James and haven't heard back yet - but was there a switch from Tusq to bone early on - and these are earlier models? It's not a big thing to make the switch, but the very thin edge on which the B string rests concerns me a bit if it's bone. I've found bone to be a bit fragile, and my other bone saddles have enough material around the break point peak to support them well.

Thanks all for any comments on the saddles.

Best,

Phil
Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 AM

Hi Phil, I shot you an email on this issue, but I bet other forum members are curious. Our approach to supply chain on components is to find suppliers who sold to some big brands with quality instruments we respect. Both the supplier of nuts/saddles and the guitar retail brands are representing these as real bone, and the tone they produce is in line with bone so I have little doubt that they are. I personally tested saddles and nuts made of Tusq, carbon fiber, and plastic - and we felt the tone produced by these components was by far the most natural. We've not had a single report of breakage on our saddles thus far. I hope this is helpful.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Hi Phil, I shot you an email on this issue, but I bet other forum members are curious. Our approach to supply chain on components is to find suppliers who sold to some big brands with quality instruments we respect. Both the supplier of nuts/saddles and the guitar retail brands are representing these as real bone, and the tone they produce is in line with bone so I have little doubt that they are. I personally tested saddles and nuts made of Tusq, carbon fiber, and plastic - and we felt the tone produced by these components was by far the most natural. We've not had a single report of breakage on our saddles thus far. I hope this is helpful.
Hi Rob

I just ordered one of your guitars from Wolfe Guitars in Florida which should be arriving at my sister's place in SF soon. Sadly I only pick it up in July (I live in Switzerland) but I am really looking forward to having a guitar with me on the road.

Your responsiveness to people on the forum impressed me greatly and I have to say was one of the reasons for my taking the leap of faith, as I have not had the chance to try the OF660 out. Reviews on this forum helped a lot also.

I will post my own impressions once it's in my hands.

Cheers, Marcel
Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks Marcel! Keep us posted, once you get your hands on it.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:37 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Rob - thanks much (and sorry I didn't post about your response). Folks, Rob has been very responsive to questions. I'm still really enjoying my OF660. I did buy a simple gig bag for it so when I don't need to collapse it I don't have to!

Best,

Phil

Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Boswell RW/koa OO
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks Marcel! Keep us posted, once you get your hands on it.
Hi Rob,

I'm just wondering, is there a DI that you would recommend for the OF660? I presume active rather than passive?

Thank you, Marcel
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM

Hi Marcel, the Baggs Para DI is great with our pickups. K&K's preamps work great too. In 2016 we may have our own little preamp with some extra tricks up our sleeves.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Hi Marcel, the Baggs Para DI is great with our pickups. K&K's preamps work great too. In 2016 we may have our own little preamp with some extra tricks up our sleeves.
I'll be trying the RedEye DI with mine soon and will report. I use the "simple" RedEye - the one without the "boost" button. It uses phantom power. I've had great success with it with all of my K&K equipped guitars.

Phil

Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Boswell RW/koa OO
Old 04-29-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I'll be trying the RedEye DI with mine soon and will report. I use the "simple" RedEye - the one without the "boost" button. It uses phantom power. I've had great success with it with all of my K&K equipped guitars.

Phil
Hi riorider

Am looking forward to hearing your findings in due course!

Cheers, Marcel
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM

I love my 660...just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-27-2015, 03:48 AM

Default Of660

Quote:

Hi Rob

I have now had my OF660 for about 3 weeks and I am loving it! I am amazed at the warmth in tone and the loudness of it given its size. I can only highly recommend it as a product. I also love the ergonomics of the guitar when playing it.

I do have one question though. I noticed that the nut moves a large amount when the guitar is disassembled (in fact I think it can be easily removed) - is this normal? I somehow thought it should be more firmly fixed - but I am no expert and hence the question?

I am also wondering if you would recommend a pick guard for the guitar and if so what kind?

Thanks, Marcel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber