The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for Mr. Goodbuild

I am looking for a custom builder who is really good, but flying under the radar a bit. Wanting to stay in the $3500 range and build a fingerstyle beauty. I live in Maryland in case there are any builders nearby. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Last edited by Lookingmon; 10-15-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: a suggestion from a member to say where I live.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 AM

At 3500$ you've got a lot of options, even amongst builders with registered flight plans...
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Like tinkerguitars said, you have a lot of choices at that price point. I'm not sure of their price range but two younger builders who are very good, off the top of my head, are Brad Daniels of "Oxwood guitars" and Mike Kennedy of "Indian Hill guitars"

I've seen both of their work in person and think its great stuff. Mike worked with sergei de jonge so his french polishing and voicing is ace.

I think I remember them both having some build threads here too.

Happy hunting
Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Scratch that… sorry, I checked their websites after I replied to you. They are both a little higher than the price point you'r looking at. Which… makes sense.

so just pretend I was never here
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
At 3500$ you've got a lot of options, even amongst builders with registered flight plans...
This is true. Many builders will be out of your price range from the start, but a number of great folks can meet your budget needs. Be prepared to not get many "extras" and settle on easy to come by woods (spruce/EIR or hog). You might want to consider looking at the many offerings on classified, many that are custom builds, that might meet your needs equally well. I've see a number of pretty special guitars there at pretty reasonable prices.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Default guitar

you may want to check out David Wren
at Wrenguitarworks
He makes world class guitars and last time I looked they were less than $4K Canadian .....again that is standard woods
Check his site....
Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

take a look at Bob Thompson guitars...

http://www.bobthompsonguitars.com/
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Have you considered attending the Woodstock Invitational guitar show next weekend? There will be a lot of builders there and some would likely be in your price range.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingmon View Post
I am looking for a custom builder who is really good, but flying under the radar a bit. Wanting to stay in the $3500 range and build a fingerstyle beauty. I live in Maryland in case there are any builders nearby. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
How 'unique' are your requirements? Do you have out of the ordinary needs regarding playability (neck, scale, body size, etc), responsiveness, tone, or aesthetics?

If you're not sure absolutely sure on your requirements, or if your requirements fall into a 'typical' range, I'd suggest you use your budget on a great used handbuilt. I feel there is a sweet spot for new handbuilts in the $4500-$6000 range, and with your budget and some time/effort you might find a really great used one made by an experienced luthier.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Hi

I suggest you chat with Fred Tellier(AGF member fetellier). Fred as built my first custom guitar, and is now building the second one.

I've sent you a private message with more detail. Here is some of his work :

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=312295

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=350935

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=355807

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Sorry I didn't notice your post last night. Pre occupied with the baseball game. Now that I am back in the real world again til this evening, let me suggest that there are some really good luthiers you could consider right here in Maryland. Todd Stock (Greenridge Guitars) is in Darnestown. He is fantastic. He can build and repair. He just finished a wonderful om 12 fret for one AGFer and has a build in progress for another. He has a friend's '53 D28 for frets and set up, and has worked set up magic for at least a dozen friends of mine. In addition, Dave Maccubbin is closer to Baltimore and also builds wonderful guitars (saw his name on the list for the upcoming show in Woodstock, NY. Both of these gentlemen will surely be easy to work with and the fact that they are close by could enhance your build experience. I have no doubt you can find more very positive references for Todd and Dave here on this forum and the Martin Forum as well. I am sure you can have a guitar built within your budget by either of these gentlemen. Happy to talk to you about my own experiences with them anytime.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM

The healdsberg guitar festival luthier list is below. These are more established but something to dig through. Most are probably out of your range but some might be available.

http://www.lmii.com/guitarfestival/p...iers-2013.html
Old 10-16-2014, 01:54 PM

I'm in Baltimore, but I'm an amateur and don't take commissions.
There are quite a few local pros, I'd also recommend Todd Stock.
John Hall of Bluescreek and Brian Howard aren't too far away up in Pa.
et al
Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
you may want to check out David Wren
at Wrenguitarworks
He makes world class guitars and last time I looked they were less than $4K Canadian ...
I can not say that this info is not correct, for I haven't asked or made big research but with the curriculum he has and a two years waiting list, I'd be surprised Mr. Wren's new guitars would be less then 4000$.

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

What about Skipper? I'm pretty sure he's in Maryland, has built for Gruhn before and is very reasonably priced.

Www.skipperstirings.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop