The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-21-2014, 11:03 AM

Default Somogyi Mod D (1985) Re-Voiced

Back in July, I purchased a 1985 Somogyi Mod D. I got if for about half the price of a new one. Having auditioned many a modern Mod D in the past, this older guitar had quite a different sound to it. The only term I can come up with is to say it sounded "stiffer" than than the newer ones. I contacted Ervin Somogyi and he told me that lots of his clients with his older guitars have been sending them to him to get some voice work done on them, as Ervin is constantly evolving in this aspect of his builds (and he has been building for about 40 years). He told me he would remove wood from the X brace to bring it more in line with his more recent builds.

I sent the guitar to him to re-voice it and just got it back this past Tuesday. What a nice change in the tone. Being a Mod D the sound is huge and truly "piano like". That didn't change. But I noticed that the notes are now fuller and rounder than before, especially in the mids and highs. Overall, the instrument is more open sounding. The bass response is a little less than before, but still more than adequate and robust. There is also a little less sustain than before, making the instrument sound a little more "woody" to me. He also shaved the bridge down a tad to give the notes a slightly quicker attack. Ervin explained that a lighter bridge is set in motion quicker by the energy of the strings than a heavier bridge, but a lighter bridge also comes to rest quicker. This may also have something to do with the sustain being slightly less. He also replaced the saddle and adjusted the intonation.

I also own a Traugott R, which is about the nicest guitar I have ever played. When I first bought the Somogyi I would compare it straight up to the Traugott and felt that the Mod D was not quite as wonderful an instrument. But after getting some voice work done to it I now feel the Somogyi is every bit the equal to the Traugott (although quite a different sounding instrument). So I am extremely happy with the outcome. My Mod D now lies somewhere in between one of Ervin's early builds and one of his most recent ones, which is what I was hoping for.

Just thought I'd pass this experience along.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

Last edited by billgennaro; 11-21-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's very cool. Glad to hear he was able to shape the voicing to your liking.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

That is great costumer service from one of the masters.

It is fascinating how those small adjustments can add up to a noticeable (positive) change
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-21-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM

Ervin had the guitar for 3 1/2 months. His mode was to work on it a little each week. This way he approached the instrument with fresh ears each time and removed only small amounts of wood per sitting. It took a while but I'm really glad he did it this way. A nice open sound now.

He told me he has gotten much braver over the years as far as removing wood is concerned. I guess you learn a thing or two when you've built about 450 guitars.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Last edited by billgennaro; 11-21-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Bill, great story and I am really pleased you like the "new" guitar. The bridge revoicing was particularly interesting, and it makes me owned how the wood that is chosen for the bridge (e.g. dense or not) will influence the sound.

Enjoy the guitar!

Col
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Bill, love this story! I bet your Somogyi has some serious mojo Thanks so much for sharing!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Photos would be great. Congrats.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Sustain is overrated.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
He told me he has gotten much braver over the years as far as removing wood is concerned.
I hope he's been not too brave!

Seriously, congrats on what is sure to be a great instrument and something of a relative bargain also.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I bet your Somogyi has some serious mojo
Actually, Eric, although the guitar is nearly 30 years old, it has never been played, so there isn't any real mojo aesthetically or tone wise.

The original owner bought it back in 1985 and swears it has less than 25 hours of playing time on it. And I believe him because there isn't a scratch or nick on the thing. Ervin Somogyi was amazed at this instrument's condition and claims the guitar has a lot of "opening up" yet to do.

However, the owner must have kept the guitar out of it's case all these years because the top has really darkened. So, in that sense, there is some mojo. But that's about it.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Photos would be great. Congrats.
I'm not set up to supply photos, but you can still see the guitar listed on the Luthier's Collection web site.

Here is the link: http://http://www.luthierscollection.com/images.php?id=somogyi44

Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I hope he's been not too brave!
Yeah! Let's hope he's learned a thing or two over his 40 years of building, and knows what he's doing!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Sustain is overrated.
You know, fregly, I understand what you are saying. Comparing this guitar to my Traugott it seems to have a "drier" sound to it, which I guess is attributable to having a bit less sustain. Its really nice to have the two different tonal aesthetics going on. Some people flip over sustain. I've never been one of them, as I've played guitars that have too much of it for my taste. But everyone is different, right?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

For the type of stuff I most enjoy playing, massive amounts of sustain isn't particularly useful to me. The older Somogyi sound seems like something I'd very much enjoy. Congrats!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop