The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Default Healdsburg No More

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the folks at LMI who put in huge amouts of work to make the show happen for as long as it did.

From Chris:

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, in the Spring of 2014 Luthiers Mercantile International (LMI) issued the following statement regarding the future of the Healdsburg Guitar Festival:

…. having taken a closer look at our investment, especially in the amount of hours which could have been focused on expanding LMI’s core business, it became obvious that our ‘labor of love’ had many intangible costs, especially to our overworked staff. For this reason we have made the tough decision to postpone the next festival to 2016…. It has not been an easy decision to make and we understand the ramifications. Besides being a great reunion of friends and colleagues, the festival has been successful in its mission of strengthening the marketplace for handmade instruments…

We are proud of the festival and our many other contributions to the craft of lutherie, but with our year off it has become clear to us that to best continue this support, our focus should remain on our core business. For this reason we have decided to no longer produce a festival.

The positive role that festivals play is obvious to us. In fact many, perhaps smaller, festivals may serve luthiers better than one or two large ones. We hope to encourage the ongoing festivals (and any that should arise in the future that serve the craft of lutherie) with counsel, advertising dollars and referrals.

Sincerely,

Chris Herrod
Sales Manager - LMI
Director Healdsburg Guitar Festival
Toll free: (800) 477-4437
International: (707) 687-2020
extension 204
Old 11-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for letting us know Kent...

While it is indeed sad news, perhaps some new show will develop in its absence? For example, the upcoming show in Memphis.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Kent,

Just got my notice too. As they say, all good things must come to an end and HGF was a great event. I met lots of great people (even shared a table with some guy named Chasson once) and Chris and Natalie put on a great show for many years. As Chris said in his announcement, maybe smaller regional shows may serve everyone better, but there was a great vibe to Healdsburg and I'll miss it.

It will make Memphis even more special, so let's all embrace the work that Bob has put in on this event and support it.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Its a sad day indeed to receive Chris' email. It was certainly one show we really looked forward to attending and reconnecting with old and new friends alike. The show will certainly be missed and we too want to thank Chris, Natalie and the rest of the LMII staff for the years of hard work and dedication that went into this tremendous guitar show.

+1 to Jimmy's comments above, lets get behind Bob and make his Memphis show a success that we can all embrace for years to come.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Sad Day Indeed!

So sorry to hear that the Healdsburg Guitar Festival will not continue. A big thanks to Chris, LMI and all of the luthiers and players who participated over the years.

I was lucky to have this event in my backyard. Fond memories - it was where I experienced for the first time playing a Wingert, an Olson, a Threet, a Manzer, a Doolin, a Sheppard, a Bashkin, a McKnight and so many more!

I wish Memphis the best and I guess it will now be my turn to buy the plane ticket and book the hotel room!

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Sigh... change is the ONLY constant... I surely enjoyed the tie I went to that show, though, and it would be great if there can be another opportunity like it...

Does anyone know what "LMI" stands for? I'm talking the business name, not their credo...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Luthier's Mercantile International, I believe....

Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks LMII!

Last edited by jmat; 11-21-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:59 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Sad news, but all good things must come to an end I guess. My thanks to all their hard work.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Maybe I've misunderstood but aren't going to have another festival in 2016?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Maybe I've misunderstood but aren't going to have another festival in 2016?
Nope, the email sadly states they are done ... no more shows.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Sigh... change is the ONLY constant... I surely enjoyed the tie I went to that show, though, and it would be great if there can be another opportunity like it...

Does anyone know what "LMI" stands for? I'm talking the business name, not their credo...
Fitness1 is very close, its actually LMII, Luthier's Merchantile International, Inc. Hence the email address, www.lmii.com
Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM

A great loss! Chris and Natalie and their staff did a great job, I have many fond memories.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Just got my notice as well ... a huge thanks to all (past and current) who made this show happen.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Healdsburg

My special thanks to Chris. While I certainly enjoyed going to the Healdsburg Festivals, had it not been for Chris' mentoring, I might not have started the thought process of the Memphis Guitar Festival. Chris' 'handprints' will be all over the Memphis weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop