The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Larry Pogreba

So, I've searched, aaaaannnnd: nothing.

I'd be curious to hear comments about his guitars. I briefly picked up a guitar and a resonator a couple of weeks ago. Very curious, interesting instruments. I know there are a few high profile performers playing some of his instruments, but I'm not sure what to make of these instruments. Very idiosyncratic builds, as far as I can tell. Fine finish and detail was a little rough, but undeniable attitude.

I've never picked up a guitar that felt like that. It had the feel of seemingly two or three different guitars shoe-horned in to one design. I'm not sure how he pulled that off. It wasn't for me, but it was definitely interesting.

The resonator though...wow...I loved the sound of that. Kind of weird, kind of almost banjo-like.

I'd have to own an awful lot of guitars I think before I'd seriously consider one, but they were interesting.

Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

There's an article about him in Fretboard Journal #22. Or maybe it was #21.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
There's an article about him in Fretboard Journal #22. Or maybe it was #21.
Thanks Matthew. I'll see if I can find that.

His guitars aren't anything I'm really interested in, but they are definitely unique. I like his philosophy and the idiosyncrasy of his approach. He's also got quite the list of players who are playing them. I guess I'm partly surprised that a search here doesn't return even a single result. Makes me wonder what the community at large thinks of his instruments.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'll try and remember to look at the FBJ library tonight when I get home. I vaguely remember the article highlighting his alternative philosophy. Interesting guy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop