The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Stringing up

At Christmas my wife gave me a great Dewalt varispeed power screwdriver and a neck support and StewMAc gave me a gift coupon that allowed me to buy a tuner crank bit for the screwdriver, allowing me to to do string changes really quickly.

Last night I set up to give it the first try on my Les Paul. Surprise! It took longer than the old manually-cranked method had. Of course, any new technique requires adjustment. However, I think the main problem happened because I introduced two innovations at once: using the power crank and trying Taylor's stringing method. I ran into a hold-up: the little clipped and bent tip popped out of the hole in the tuner post, every single time. I tried every which way to get it to work, starting the wind by hand, feeding slack until the first wind, etc. I eventually came to the conclusion that the problem was that I was using the technique Taylor devised for larger gauge acoustic guitar strings on .009 light gauge electric strings. The little bend in light-gauge string wire just doesn't hold.

Next time I'll use my old successful technique, not clipping the end of the string and using it to hold the string in place for the first wind. If that helps I'll retain the technique on electrics.

Just a PSA.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I ran into a hold-up: the little clipped and bent tip popped out of the hole in the tuner post, every single time. I tried every which way to get it to work, starting the wind by hand, feeding slack until the first wind, etc. I eventually came to the conclusion that the problem was that I was using the technique Taylor devised for larger gauge acoustic guitar strings on .009 light gauge electric strings. The little bend in light-gauge string wire just doesn't hold.
A single bend has never worked for me on the high E and B, but a double bend works every time, even on extra light gauges.
I well remember the frustration before changing to the double bend method years ago.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 AM

i have the string winder adapter for my cordless screwdriver. it somehow messed up a tuner on my strat and i had to get a new one. now, i use the plastic manual winder to start each string, then i use the electric.

new methods; learn new things.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-14-2018, 04:55 PM

I've come up with many different way to wind the plain strings, never had an issue with the single bend method, even on an electric, though I do pre-bend before I put the string into the hole, then keep it taut with one hand while I wind or use the winder with the other. Then it's one loop above, then below.

The method I prefer is to turn the tuner so the hole is perpendicular to the string, then loop the string around the post, through the hole, then around the string back through the hole and pull tight. No string slippage this way, though restringing is a little challenging.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Stringing up

Go to YouTube and search for Joe Bonamassa’s guitar tech. He uses the best stringing technique I’ve seen. It’s simple and the string locks itself in place.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for that. He winds the string around the post before cranking it and got the technique from César Diaz. Fascinating.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Interesting I use the Taylor recommended method (adapted) but so far only on Acoustic and I do not clip the string until after it has been tuned ,stretched ,and re-tuned

and like LouisA I pre bend the string at a hard angle and keep tension while winding.

The above video looks similar the Taylor method but 2 1/2 lengths

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 PM

Default Stringing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Thanks for that. He winds the string around the post before cranking it and got the technique from César Diaz. Fascinating.

Bob

Best method ever for properly seating strings !!!

I don’t trust power winders [emoji30], I use a hand crank and don’t break strings during installation. I wait to play before I break them!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars