The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 AM

Default Davy and Goliath

Just picked up a Squier HSS, 2018, and an American Strat Pro. Two different ends of a wonderful spectrum. Both, believe it or not, are amazing.

The Squier is something you really make a part of your body. It weights almost nothing and has a clear, firm lead tone. Very easy positioning of the volume knob for infinite swells and subtely, no whammy so easy to place your hands. The thing just screams. MUCH better than older Squiers. They did something here which I cannot put my finger on. You simply cannot put it down. Clean or H crunch,,, $200....

The Strat Pro, I got for half price, very lucky timing on a 2016 return. Now, this is something yoiu work on, its not part of your body. The thicker weird deep C neck at first gave me some tendon issues,,,,they seem to be calming as I adjusted my play style. You play on it...like a keyboard, you don't wear it. And the pickups on this thing...good heavens, they are made just for this series. The tremelo will simply not go out of tune. And the sounds you get from the gestalt of it...just awesome.

Davy and Goliath..both astounding. I sold off my MIM Tele and MIM Strat and another synth to score them. I am very pleased I did.

Anyone else playing the US Pro Strat? I have it in SSS, HSS would be nice, but it would not have been half price!

I will buy the Katana 50 next . I love that amp. Better than the Blues Jr, which is what I was planning on, until I heard the Katana. Wow, talk about usable tones! Any other Katana lovers out here?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Nice finds Davis. You will enjoy both! -- Darwin
Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Just picked up a Squier HSS, 2018, and an American Strat Pro. Two different ends of a wonderful spectrum. Both, believe it or not, are amazing.
Isn't that interesting, and too little said.

After owning and playing a great number of electric guitars in the past 20 years, what you say doesn't surprise me. Particularly with "Fender-type" guitars and particularly with single coil pickups, it's remarkable how valid the sounds can be across price ranges. I'm perhaps more Telecaster oriented, but the same things happens with Strats I have played.

It's funny, because recently here when discussing Gibson style electrics there was a good deal of sentiment that anything other from their Epiphone line couldn't measure up, and in that thread I had to give a more ambivalent response. I don't know why that is. My only working theory is that it's harder to get valid timbres out of humbuckers. I think recent Epiphone pickups have been better, but that's the only working theory I have.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Congrats Davis! What's the model of the Squier? Is it a Bullet, Affinity, etc? Didn't realize they had hardtails.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

What is amazing to me these days is how little geld will get you an entirely reasonable guitar. When I started, your choices were basically royalty or crap!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-30-2018, 06:10 PM

hi

Its a bullet. Which shocked me, I have owned bad bullets in the past. This one has got its own voice. Kind of like Jack White, its not a good classic tone, its its own tone. Very dirty. But delightful clean. The volume knob is perfectly placed so I can just play chordal swells and such, it sounds like guitar synthesizer...I swear i can hear cellos, violas, oboe lines...just the right resistance for the swell and the right throw to not go on forever trying to find the blend point and its humbucker humbuckes nicely!

The US pro i am still ambivaent about. This deep C neck is kind of like a baseball bat. Its got a big flat surface, wide, like a classical guitar feel, lower, then gets narrower up the neck. I really am not sure about it. Its weird. Its got these tall frets. My issue is that there is alot of "space" on the neck, and I like fast runs, so I have jump further across strings and up and down it seems, to do what I need to. The pickups are very nice, but unique. Not a regular Strat voicing. I might drop a humbucker in the bridge. But then again..

I would say the pro series is to Strats what the 2012 D18 was to Martins. A complete revolution.

I actually like the Squier alot more. But I am giving the pro a chance. Weird I love the guitar worth 1/10 the price. Goes to show ya...

I am getting the Katana this week. Its my birthday on the 1st. My prezzie to me. I played it and loved every note. They hit it out of the park.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post

I will buy the Katana 50 next . I love that amp. Better than the Blues Jr, which is what I was planning on, until I heard the Katana. Wow, talk about usable tones! Any other Katana lovers out here?
Shows you that everyone is different. I would not take a Katana over a Blues Jr. if the Katana was free. Give me tubes!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:09 PM

I did consider the Blues Jr. But I would have to buy alot of pedals. And I only get to play at fairly low volumes much of the time and that feature on the Katana for different outputs intrigues me. Blues Jr, for sure though is the best match for a Strat in an ideal world for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars