The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks a lot for that great piece of information jseth, I really appreciate that!

You just mentioned that you found out that you prefer less Tru Mic on the mix, or less output of the Tru Mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
In the SL (contrary to one reply), the UST portion handles ONLY the low freq's and there's no way to change that... the True-Mic handles everything above the lows, but it isn't a "hard-shelf" control, so there is a bit of overlap. I find that I prefer MORE of the UST than less, with both of my guitars, but as the years have gone by, I've dialed in a bit more of the True-Mic.
Did you ever had the Tru Mic's little adjustment screw almost all the way down or close to it? I asked because at the moment that is where it seems to be best for me and my sound system and I did not know if that was common for other Anthem SL users?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Funny, I don't experience much, if any, noise from handling either my 6 or 12 string acoustics that have the SL installed...
Do any of these guitars that you have the Anthem SL on them have satin back and sides?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I have an Anthem SL in my Larrivee OM-40, have adjusted the tru-mic according to my liking, and yes, I have handling noise. I attribute it mostly to a satin finish guitar, but it is definitely there, and noticeable when playing live. My sound techs were the first one's to mention it after I started using the pickup. However, it is not noticeable when we're actually playing. It's just part of the deal with that system if you happen to have satin finish, which your guitar has on the back & sides.
Yep with a satin finish you'll have some of that.Shouldnt be that much of an issue with a gloss finish. Something isn't right. Contact Baggs, maybe they can help.
By the way,everything Jseth said is true and good information. I played at an open mic way back when and the guy running the board had an "h" of a time with my Anthem SL. Got my own mixer now as my partner and I play out and do our own sound.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-22-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

All my acoustics have gloss finishes, either lacquer or urethane... no help there.

It does sound as though the unit may not be working correctly. Did you buy it new and have it installed? Do the install yourself?

Always try putting a fresh battery into the chain before you get too crazy about things... I get over 100 hours from a battery in my SL-guitars, but that's the first thing I would do, were I you.

Remember, if you set MORE of the UST in the mix, you'll want to "re-EQ" the guitar to get a full evaluation...

I'd suggest you call LR BAGGS... every time I've had a question or problem, I've called them and they take VERY good care of me... and I'm nobody special!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
All my acoustics have gloss finishes, either lacquer or urethane... no help there.

It does sound as though the unit may not be working correctly. Did you buy it new and have it installed? Do the install yourself?
Actually there is no problem with the system as far as not working or sounding good. It actually sounds very good, I am just on the initial tweaking/eq phase where I am doing fine adjustments to get to a sweet spot.

I get some handling noise, mostly in the form of my t shirt rubbing the satin back of my guitar, like when I am putting on the guitar with the strap or like when I grab it from the stand. When I start playing is not an issue.

I thought asking about the handling noise, just to see if it was normal on other Anthem SL users and several people have mentioned that is normal and more specifically on satin back and sides guitar, so I am okay with that.

I bought the Anthem SL new at Guitar Center and it was installed by a very skilled and qualified guitar tech that has done a lot of great guitar and amp tech work for me and a lot of people that I know.

Last edited by javierj; 02-23-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

So I think that I am getting quite close to the sweet spot of the Anthem SL on my guitar, after some tweaking and adjustments.

Here is an audio clip of a recording of the sound coming out of my active speaker, going through the LR Baggs PADI, Lexicon MX200 fx processor with just a little bit of reverb and DBX 131s 31 graphic rack EQ. This is my main small acoustic solo gig rig.

I think it is quite natural and balanced. Maybe I could make an even more quiet and cleaner recording next time, but I think with this audio clip, one can definitely tell if it's well setup, if it sounds good or not and also if the pickup and everything else in the system is working properly.

This is with a Bob Colosi bone saddle over the Element pickup:

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great help!

Last edited by javierj; 02-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
So I think that I am getting quite close to the sweet spot of the Anthem SL on my guitar, after some tweaking and adjustments.

Here is an audio clip of a recording of the sound coming out of my active speaker, going through the LR Baggs PADI, Lexicon MX200 fx processor with just a little bit of reverb and DBX 131s 31 graphic rack EQ. This is my main small acoustic solo gig rig.

I think it is quite natural and balanced. Maybe I could make an even more quiet and cleaner recording next time, but I think with this audio clip, one can definitely tell if it's well setup, if it sounds good or not and also if the pickup and everything else in the system is working properly.

This is with a Bob Colosi bone saddle over the Element pickup:

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great help!
Javier,
It sounds like you have the microphone almost off. It is a very hard attack coming through in the sound clip, with almost no 'air'.

I would make the mic louder, and not worry about the handling noise, especially in a live situation.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification