The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special 1x12 Combo ?

Yes Amp Acquisition Syndrome is striking again .

There is a local craigslist listing for an almost new Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 combo at slightly over 1/2 retail (sweetwater price)
I am wondering if anybody has owned or played or heard one and or any thoughs generally ..

I currently have a Supro Titan 1X10 combo with a 1x12 matching cab
I has 6l6 output tubes
This Mesa uses up to 4 EL 84's output tubes and a Celestion Custom 90 12 inch speaker, so I am assuming it will be a different sound from the Supro

here is the company link

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/lone-star-series/lone-star-special/1x12-combo.html#amplifier-features

.Here are some quick specs

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-06-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 PM

I like the multi wattage feature. Never heard one but a boogie is a boogie and they sound awesome!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...I currently have a Supro Titan 1X10 combo with a 1x12 matching cab
It has 6L6 output tubes
This Mesa uses up to 4 EL84 output tubes and a Celestion Custom 90 12 inch speaker, so I am assuming it will be a different sound from the Supro...
Told ya we'd get ya, Kev...

As I'm sure you're aware, 6L6-powered amps such as your Supro are associated with classic "American" tone - big, bold, clean, and punchy; the EL84, on the other hand, is the chimey, softer-edged/more-compressed tone of the early British Invasion acts, especially when used in a class-A circuit. Although I've never had the pleasure of playing one, I've heard the Lone Star Special described as "a supercharged Vox AC30" and "the amp (Vox founders) Tom Jennings and Dick Denney would have built but didn't have the technology to pull off" (makes sense, given that the AC30 also boasted four EL84's running class-A); I'm thinking that between the two channels this one will run the gamut from Beatles to 18W Plexi to Brian May - especially with the factory Celestion speaker - which might be a nice contrast to your Titan and its Eminence complement. Be advised, however, that class-A tube circuits are notoriously inefficient when it comes to converting power to sonic output - there's a price to be paid for all that tonal goodness - and they run hotter than southwest Hades in mid-July; since you don't know to what kind of conditions the current owner subjected this amp, you'll want some good glassware in there from the get-go:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

FYI these are Soviet-era mil-spec tubes (the same ones that I've been using in my Bugeras for the last six years) - according to the company they're about as good as it gets in what they term "demanding" AC30-style applications, and IME I'd be inclined to agree; they don't come cheap, though - and IMO you'll want to factor this into your final decision...
Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've heard the Lone Star Special described as "a supercharged Vox AC30"
I've had both a LSS and a AC30 in the past. I don't think I'd make that claim at all. The LSS is very much in the American sound camp.

The LSS isn't a bad amp, it can be a bit sterile at times... however I think all Boogies kinda get that way if your not cranking them a bit. The multi-watt thing is really cool and allows you to get some decidedly completely different tones out of the box. I'm not a big fan of the speaker at all, but thats a very personal preference. I ended up selling mine years ago, though if I were to do it over again I probably would have kept it and replaced the speaker.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Ineeto, Steve D, bobwl ....Hey thanks for the input guys

Ineeto:
I have only ever heard few Mesa's being used at a couple of the shows I have been to, so actually auditioning one (later today) will interesting.

Steve: I had actually surfed the tube store and seen the Premium Package certainly something to factor in. Although the owner states he has only played the amp at home , no gigs and something like 10 hours or less of total time.
He states it still even has the factory tags on it and has all paperwork, factory footswitch, casters and cover.
Also to address the heat you mentioned this amp comes with a factory installed cooling fan (which according to some on the two different Mesa forum/blog I surfed yesterday) can be a bit loud in a recording situation (even the manual recommends always using the fan but turning it off for recording) there was a thread about changing the fan to one of the silent fans being used in some computers.

bobwl:
So Bob to clarify are you talking specifically about the Celestion Custom 90 speaker as it my understanding the LS amps used to come with speaker called a "Black Shadow" ???

In any case thanks again for the input, I will see what happens later this afternoon as after communicating with the owner I am taking my guitar and will be able to audition the amp.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
bobwl:
So Bob to clarify are you talking specifically about the Celestion Custom 90 speaker as it my understanding the LS amps used to come with speaker called a "Black Shadow" ???
Mesa Black Shadow = Celestion C90
Old 10-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
Mesa Black Shadow = Celestion C90
ah, thanks did not know that. This place is such a great resource

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm a BIG fan of the lonestars. I've played the LSS many times and I own its big brother- the 100 LoneStar w 6L6s. The LSS gets you "Fender" cleans along with Stones, SRV & creamy Santana, all without needing pedals. Highly responsive & very "greasy".
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 PM

In the past I've owned a couple of Lonestars, a Mark 5, a Maverick (class a), and now I'm down to just one tube amp https://spark.adobe.com/page/u4EK52TtR2ufI/
I'm a BoogieMan.

Caveat? HEAVY
What was it like watching that $4500+ Bubinga Mark 5 combo tumble down those stairs?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
In the past I've owned a couple of Lonestars, a Mark 5, a Maverick (class a), and now I'm down to just one tube amp https://spark.adobe.com/page/u4EK52TtR2ufI/
I'm a BoogieMan.

Caveat? HEAVY
What was it like watching that $4500+ Bubinga Mark 5 combo tumble down those stairs?
That Recto-verb look like a nice amp also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-07-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
That Recto-verb look like a nice amp also
You like? Here's a friend with his

Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM

great looking amp, kev. you'll probably be using the attenuation a lot for your studio work, otherwise, that will still be a loud amp in the highest 30 watt selection.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars