The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-06-2015, 04:13 AM

Yep, I own one. (Bought it to practice with).

Fender fan (guitars and amps) and so I only use the first three Fender amp settings. (In addition to some delay and reverb when suits and the amp's inbuilt tuner). Fantastic amp for the money, even though there will be other guitarists who will get more out of the amp and use the other settings.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Yep, I own one. (Bought it to practice with).

Fender fan (guitars and amps) and so I only use the first three Fender amp settings. (In addition to some delay and reverb when suits and the amp's inbuilt tuner). Fantastic amp for the money, even though there will be other guitarists who will get more out of the amp and use the other settings.
What you're saying is you tend to use the "cleaner" settings than all the metal or dirtier tones.....this is where I find myself as well.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 AM

I have the Mustang II v2 and I've been having a hard time dialing in a sound that I can live with. The problem is that my ears get accustomed to the sound that I'm working on, I think I have it, I walk away for a while, come back and I'm back to tweaking with it again. I'm a tweaking kind of guy, so I'm having fun.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 AM

Guys,

I can't decide between MII and MIII

40w is enough to me and I don't care about have to use a laptop to explore all the settings.

My doubt is about sound quality. How much M2 will sound worse than M3, due the lack of celestion speaker and the open back construction?

Talking about v1 and v2, using fuse it's possible to have 100% of the presets on v1 that we have on v2,right?

Last edited by Dragonrib; 06-07-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrib View Post
Guys,

40w is enough to me and I don't care about have to use a laptop to explore all the settings.

My doubt is about sound quality. How much M2 will sound worse than M3, due the lack of celestion speaker and the open back construction?

Talking about v1 and v2, using fuse it's possible to have 100% of the presets on v1 that we have on v2,right?
What I can tell you is, I went from a 6 watt Line6 practice amp to the MII 40 watt and this thing will blow you out the door when you turn it up. The 100 watt MIII would probably take my house down. Sound quality is great. I passed on a used MIII 5 miles from my door for the same price as a new MII. Having said that I am ignorant to amps and the whole process and still learning.

Best I can tell it's all about learning how to operate any new electronic device all are different. Laptop it up if you want, don't think I'll need that, too many options already.

The only thing I think I'll miss is how to tune one from scratch and learn that process vs. having the model's settings ready to go....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Guys,

If you don't mind using the laptop to explore and tweak your various amp settings then the MII is a great choice. The MIII is much more user friendly with its ability to access the Fuse software from its panel but it's also more expensive. If I were gigging I'd probably go with the MIII because of its ability to adjust settings on the fly. But as a practice amp the MII is terrific. As an MII owner I can safely suggest that you'll not be disappointed in the least in the sound quality. It's simply a great sounding amp.

As for the v1 and v2 issue it is my understanding that to get all of the functionality of the Fuse software you need to have v2. IIRC the v1 cannot be updated to v2 through firmware. You might want to pose that question over on the Telecaster Guitar Forum in their Modeling Amp sub-Forum just to be sure.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by catdaddy; 06-08-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
If you don't mind using the laptop to explore and tweak your various amp settings then the MII is a great choice. The MIII is much more user friendly with its ability to access the Fuse software from the its panel but it's also more expensive. If I were gigging I'd probably go with the MIII because of its ability to adjust settings on the fly. But as a practice amp the MII is terrific. As an MII owner I can safely suggest that you'll not be disappointed in the least in the sound quality. It's simply a great sounding amp.

As for the v1 and v2 issue it is my understanding that to get all of the functionality of the Fuse software you need to have v2. IIRC the v1 cannot be updated to v2 through firmware. You might want to pose that question over on the Telecaster Guitar Forum in their Modeling Amp sub-Forum just to be sure.
This is correct. V2 is V2, cannot upgrade to it. Most players have settled on the III, there is a lot of discussion on the Telecaster modeling forums. The general thought is that III is the way to go, I is a home practice amp. Very few have invested in the II. The price differential is not so great as to lose out on the extra power and functionality.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:01 AM

Yamaha THR 10c has the best tone among all smaller modelling amps. Covers all the sounds from fender cleans, marshall classic gain to modern hi gain tones. Never been more happier. Also, has less controls than Mustang whichI personally liked so I can jus plug in and play
Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Not really. The buttons you have access to are pathetically few.

You cannot change amp models. You cannot insert stomp boxes. You have limited modulation settings. You cannot do about 100 different things. In short, without a PC, you cannot change much.

With the Mustang III, you can do everything without a computer. Its all on the front panel.

Just the whole "got to have a computer to do anything" is a pain for me. I want an amp that works, as an amp, with its effects, as is.

Aside from that, the footswitch option on the I is just a 2 button selection. On the III you can do so much more.

I do like the Fuse software. But I do not like the demand that I MUST use it. I like to just fiddle with effects using the amp. And beside that, there are 100 preset locations in the III and only 24 on the I.

So I am going to get the III. For those reasons. As for volume, well, it won't hurt to have more volume for that time in the distant future that I finally find a reliable drummer for a band .
+1. The MIII is easy to work with due to the LCD. Everything is right there. I hook up to fuse just long enough to back-up settings, but don't typically edit in there.

To those who think they'd spend too much time monkeying around: once I got about a dozen patches I liked, I quit twiddling with 'em. Set it and forget it. I have the 2 button and 4 button switches, so I can turn effects on and off as needed, and jump around the patches pretty quick.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Once I choose a clean Preset, am I able to control the quantity of overdrive i want, using the knob? Or just by Fuse?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Once I choose a clean Preset, am I able to control the quantity of overdrive i want, using the knob? Or just by Fuse?
You can use your "Gain" knob on the panel to overdrive your amp. There are also simulated Overdrive pedals available in the Fuse software that can add another level of overdrive but you cannot access those from a knob. If you have an MI or MII you'll need to be hooked up to your computer to add and tweak the OD pedal to your sound. With the MIII or MIV you can access the Fuse software from the LCD screen on the amp and add the OD pedal that way.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-08-2015, 04:23 PM

^^
Perfect.

Pls, one more doubt. Since I'm looking mainly for clean tones, will I lose too much getting a M2 v1, once v1 does not have the "studio preamp"? I've heard this is the best Preset for clean tones...
Old 06-08-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
^^
Perfect.

Pls, one more doubt. Since I'm looking mainly for clean tones, will I lose too much getting a M2 v1, once v1 does not have the "studio preamp"? I've heard this is the best Preset for clean tones...
The studio preamp is a very nice starting point for sound tweaking. Depending on the type of music you play it could be something you'd regret not having. In addition there are a number of amp models (IIRC about six) that are available in v2 and not in v1. Every amp model can be stripped down to a clean setting (with its own unique sound) and is a potential gold mine of tones. There's no telling what amp model you'll find most appealing and the v1 choices are significantly fewer. I would strongly recommend that no matter which Mustang amp you choose that it be the v2.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The studio preamp is a very nice starting point for sound tweaking. Depending on the type of music you play it could be something you'd regret not having. In addition there are a number of amp models (IIRC about six) that are available in v2 and not in v1. Every amp model can be stripped down to a clean setting (with its own unique sound) and is a potential gold mine of tones. There's no telling what amp model you'll find most appealing and the v1 choices are significantly fewer. I would strongly recommend that no matter which Mustang amp you choose that it be the v2.
Absolutely. The cost savings is not worth the trouble. There were some issues with hissing and noise that plagued V1, which, depending on who you read, was fixed or not fixed with a system update. I had the same choice last week, a V1 for cheaper. I held off. Having read what I can on the amp, a V2 III is the best minimax solution, not the only one, but the consensus is that its the way to go. The exceptions are those who have a good amp and want a small practice amp, then the I comes in swinging.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 AM

Thank you guys, if I get a mustang it will be M3 v2.

I said "if" cause I'm still in doubt getting a digital amp.

I'm gonna use clean tones 99%of the time (jazz, Brazilian music), had read a lot Last 2 weeks, there are a lot of different opinions about the differences between the fenders non digital vs mustang so I m having a really hard time to decide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars