The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Default Fender Mustang Amps...My oh My!

I just picked up a Fender Mustang amp. Just wow. Anyone else loving these? I am astounded at how "tube like" they are! And for a ridiculously low price. Fender hit it right out of the park on these!

I find the Fuse software approach annoying, but we take the good with the bad. On the positive, sure gives you creative control. On the negative, I would rather tweak the parameters without a PC.

But, my goodness, the Fender Twin and the Bassman sims are out of this world. You can go all Roy Buchanan with the Tele with those settings!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM

I've only played around with them in the store and I really do like them. The Mustang III is the one that I've considered a couple of times. Only reason I've not purchased one is I don't play out enough to justify an electric guitar amp. Majority of my guitar playing is acoustic. But if I ever decide on an electric amp the Mustang is on my short list for sure.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I just picked up a Fender Mustang amp. Just wow. Anyone else loving these? I am astounded at how "tube like" they are! And for a ridiculously low price. Fender hit it right out of the park on these!

I find the Fuse software approach annoying, but we take the good with the bad. On the positive, sure gives you creative control. On the negative, I would rather tweak the parameters without a PC.

But, my goodness, the Fender Twin and the Bassman sims are out of this world. You can go all Roy Buchanan with the Tele with those settings!
I have to agree about the Fender Twin and Bassman options. I found one on Craigslist a couple months ago, and have been having lots of fun ever since.

You might want to check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxBL7mub0A
Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post

**** Or this *****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0FWOCfXZzE
Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I wasn't familiar with the Mustang amps, so I did a little reading up on them to see what they do. Having never tried one I obviously can't comment on how they sound, but they sure seem to have a lot of fun and useful features.

I won't be owning one, though, and here's why....too much information. I can easily see myself getting so immersed in all the bells and whistles that I'd waste valuable practice time playing with the thing. I don't mean that as a criticism of the amp...but of myself.

More to the point, though....I'm becoming increasingly impressed by some of the modeling amps that are available these days. I have a 60 watt Vox Valvetronix that is capable of some very good sounds. Whether it actually sounds like the amps it's supposed to model I can't say, but it does have enough versatility that I can get good tones for my Strat, Tele and Les Paul.

The Fender appears to be another good one. Have fun with it.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM

I've got the smallest one, and they are definitely fun. The real cool part is all the presets available online. I've found some nice blues ones, some good Beatles sounds, and someone has even done some excellent Gilmour tones like the heavily delayed, echoing sound on "Run Like He**".

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, amplifiers are like peanuts: it's devilishly hard to have just one. The boys at GC connected me up to the Mustang II and I was really impressed because Fender didn't just get the sound right, they got the feel of the amps right, if you know what I mean. The only reason I haven't picked one up is that I probably have too many amps already.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM

Another Mustang III owner/fan here. I was shocked at the video and actually thought the Clapton amp was the Mustang. Wow!

I have played gigs with my Mustang III (and my band plays loud) but primarily use it for practice at home. I still love my tube amps (Deluxe VM and Super Sonic 22) for gigs. Home practice with the MIII gives my tube amps a rest and hopefully extends the tube life. I choose the M III primarily for the little screen, which tells me instantly what the preset is doing. Warning, as noted above, when you bring it home day one, allow several hours of fooling around time. I found myself exploring tones I would not normally get into, as I like a big, clean sound with a touch of delay, reverb or echo from time to time. At the end if you are like me, you'll find yourself laughing and smiling along the way. Once you get through all the possibilities you will find your favorite settings and just used them to play your songs, so loss of practice time is minimum. If you purchase the Mustang III, consider adding the four button switch box. With the included two button it makes changing patches fast and simple.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-25-2015, 07:28 PM

I've had my Mustang II for almost 2 years now. I love the Fender Fuse software that allows for tweaking. As for the idea that there is "too much information" contained therein, I would agree that there is a certain amount of time needed to get used to the software (especially for the Mustang I and Mustang II that require a computer hook-up to do serious tweaking) and to weed out those models that you don't find suitable to your style. Once you've narrowed things down a bit it is really a blast having so much tonal control.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 PM

I recently got a Champion 20 and love it. I hear it's essentially a Mustang without the Fuse software. I love the amp models and trem, reverb, chorus, and delay all sound great. No usb connection or messing on the computer required.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:58 PM

I liked the mustang until I plugged in to the Peavy VYPER VIP 3. The peavy followed me home. Now I can play my electric and acoustic through it.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Another Mustang III V2 user here. The only amp I own at the moment. Have patches set up for my Strat, from Fender clean, Marshall dirty, Vox, and metal heavy distortion.
I use it for my acoustic electric as well, have a studio preamp patch saved for my Taylor, and another patch for my Yamaha classical that has a Bband AST pickup I installed into it.
Great, versatile amplifier.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevos View Post
I have to agree about the Fender Twin and Bassman options. I found one on Craigslist a couple months ago, and have been having lots of fun ever since.

You might want to check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxBL7mub0A
Wow. I thought A was the Tremolux for sure. It was the Mustang! Great vid.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 PM

Yeh, I am looking at the II and III, but I think the I is good enough. If you gigged with it, I think you could mic it and send that into the PA.

I agree, information overload on tweaking! But then that means many a happy year playing with it.

I have a confession, I have never run my Strat or Tele through a real amp before! I have been using a Korg Pandora modeler about 10 years old, into a PA. I have to say...its amazing to hear what my guitars really sound like!

I cannot imagine what a real Fender Twin or Bassman would do, but I think the Mustang gives me a taste.

I had hours of great songwriting yesterday and pumped out 2 good country songs using the Twin with a touch of slapback reverb and chorus, otherwise clean. The Tele just sang. Now I know how Roy Buchanan does it! You can just milk the notes.

Thanks for the replies...looks like I am in good company. Gonna buy it fer sure.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 AM

I owned the Must III for about 6 months and used it live a couple times.

It is a really nice amp and very versatile. I think the Must II is just as nice sound. Both have a 12" speaker. But the III came with a better on amp interface. The LED screen is larger and better knobs made it easier to read and use. But the sound of the II is very nice. Worth it over the MI which has smaller speaker and box.

I found myself mainly using the Fender amp models and stripped back all the effects. Then sparingly added effects. If I was strictly a home player .. I'd get the Must II. It is a nice amp and great price. Also you plug into your computer and use the Fuse software. Can download tons of patches.

Last edited by JakeStone; 04-26-2015 at 05:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars