The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
"Hate" might be a tad strong. I generally 'prefer' Martin or Gibson acoustic tonality, but I've played a number of Taylors I'd be quite happy to give a home to. I don't see any point in vilifying anyone for holding a different opinion.

However, there does seem to be a curious belief that acoustic guitar makers have no business making electric guitars, and vice versa.

For a reverse example, look at all the vitriol poured out, here and elsewhere, upon PRS for their acoustics.
The comments thrown my way were unsolicited. I'd also argue that at least 75% of the Taylor bashers have no idea what they want and will flip flop ad nauseum.

I'm fine with opinions, but not when they're walking that fine line of disrespectful. One man's trash might be another man's wife.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The comments thrown my way were unsolicited. I'd also argue that at least 75% of the Taylor bashers have no idea what they want and will flip flop ad nauseum.

I'm fine with opinions, but not when they're walking that fine line of disrespectful. One man's trash might be another man's wife.
Completely agree. This internet thing has exposed some remarkably disagreeable people.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Completely agree. This internet thing has exposed some remarkably disagreeable people.
Very true, although I recall some band members being fairly opinionated well before the internet. I know I was somewhat opinionated back in the day desipte having such limited experiences with various gear.

They seem a little more abundant on the internet. Guys who are happy with their gear and aren't seeking affirmation tend to not comment on things they don't like. For example, I'm definitely not into highly mid-scooped guitars that are excessively detuned. If I see various obscure Scandanavian progressive death metalcore threads, I simply move on. I don't really solicit opinions until asked. Nobody has asked.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very true, although I recall some band members being fairly opinionated well before the internet.
It's a lot easier to be opinionated when you're not standing in front of someone
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It's a lot easier to be opinionated when you're not standing in front of someone
LOL, that doesn't seem to apply to bassists. When I switched over, guys were really harsh and super critical. I had an audition or two where they saw my gear and made some pretty strong comments before I even plugged in. In my early days, I played Peavey's USA line and you'd think they were beneath pawn shop fodder. I later transitioned to 6 string basses and lots of guys would make sure to tell me how bassists should play. All of which was to my face. To a certain extent, perhaps their attitude towards me was why they weren't finding anyone and/or why the last guy left. Although, it seemed like a lot of my auditions in my early days were to replace guys who fell off the face of the earth or were running from the law....
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM

I've got the T5 in Cocobolo wood, absolutely beautiful. It's a 12 string too, so that adds a little something as well. Don't know why anyone would hate these guitars.

That said, I wish I played mine more often. I'd sell it if I wasn't too lazy to get it listed.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
I've got the T5 in Cocobolo wood, absolutely beautiful. It's a 12 string too, so that adds a little something as well. Don't know why anyone would hate these guitars.

That said, I wish I played mine more often. I'd sell it if I wasn't too lazy to get it listed.
LOL, I'd gladly take ya up on a 12 string in a few months after I get some home improvements paid off.

I think the big knock against the T5 is that it doesn't fit nicely into any traditional categories like a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, 335, etc. It also has a bunch of tones and for whatever reasons, more available tones equates to these tones being less amazing. Like most guitars, a good amp and good EQ can make just about anything sound great.

My only gripes are wanting a few more frets and that the body sometimes seems excessively big.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I would hope even the "haters" would have respect for Bob Taylor and what he has done for the guitar community. He built a highly playable acoustic that gave Martin a run for its money in popularity. I owned a lovely 714 for a few years before moving on to the boutique end of things. (From Taylor 714 to Ted Thompson T1. Now a Mcilroy AJ20...)

Anyway, the guitars posted a gorgeous. Taylor makes great acoustics and electrics.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I really don't give a hoot what some people think of Taylor electrics. I like my T5 Classic and that's all that matters.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
LOL, I'd gladly take ya up on a 12 string in a few months after I get some home improvements paid off.
When the time comes, just let me know.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
When the time comes, just let me know.
Will do, although new sump pump lines and new carpet are giving me serious frowny face right now, LOL.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 AM

How does the T5 Classic's amplified acoustic tones compare to a spruce topped T5? Should I go the extra expense of the T5 Standard if the amplified acoustic tone is my first application of the guitar? I play in a duo and am not looking for a tweaker's perfect acoustic tone (unattainable anyway??? :~). Thanks, Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-31-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM

I have a beautifull T5 c 1 black. It´s "problematic" and quite "quirky" but when it shines,, it shines the brightest and is, IMHO one of the best guitars concerning playability.

I think the problem with Taylors is their electronics.

Mine is maple and I´ve put 0,12 electric strings on it, everyone looking for a fatter and more acoustic sound and feel should try this upgrade.

I´ll post some pictures soon.

We should try to make some kind of list, I´d like to know wich wood is the most acoustic or electric sounding, wich one is the thinner, etc.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM

The only problem I've had with my T5 was the battery dying at an inoppertune time. It was a quick change and something I probably should have checked before I left home.

I ended up messing with these guitars today while I had some basement work done. I could easily gig with just these guitars. The only thing I'd miss is the sounds of positions 2 and 4 of a Strat or Nashville Tele.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Another T5 owner here. I played in bands for a lot of years, and a 335 was my go-to guitar. When looking for a new acoustic a while back, the salesman (after finding out about my 335) asked, "Have you ever played a T5?"

I hadn't even seen one. He brought one out... apparently, my face lit up, 'cause my wife said, "Let's get that one." It played like butter, but wasn't what I was looking for. I left with my first Taylor acoustic.

My wife didn't forget about the T5, though... and a year later, one followed me home. It doesn't get the play time my acoustics do (I do solo gigs), but it is one of the most versatile guitars I have ever owned. The first electric (includes Strat and LP) that ever came close to the 335. Mate the T5 with an A/B/Y switch, an acoustic amp (or PA), and an electric amp, and you have an amazing amount of options, before even considering

"Haters" simply don't get it. I really don't care what anyone else plays, nor do I give any concern about what someone else thinks of my choices. The Taylor/Martin thing is like Ford/Chevy: your money, your choice. Toss the Taylor electrics into the mix... whoooweeee.

It's a treat to see the gorgeous T5s in this thread.

Captain Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars