The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM

As I stated earlier, the MIJ Fender specs are closer to Leo's original specs than anything that's come out of California since the mid-60's. If what you're after is that vintage Fender vibe, I'd leave your guitar alone. Of course, you know what you want, and it's up to you... but any change you make in pickups will have an effect on the tone your guitar produces.
Don't worry about my opinion though. I tend to be snobbish about vintage Fenders, and like my MIJ Fenders just the way they are.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Re:

zabdart,

I agree that a vintage Strat should be left alone. The pickups on my MIJ Strat tend to buzz, though, which is why I'm considering getting a set of Fender Noiseless pickups. If there is a cheaper solution to fix that, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
As I stated earlier, the MIJ Fender specs are closer to Leo's original specs than anything that's come out of California since the mid-60's. If what you're after is that vintage Fender vibe, I'd leave your guitar alone. Of course, you know what you want, and it's up to you... but any change you make in pickups will have an effect on the tone your guitar produces.
Don't worry about my opinion though. I tend to be snobbish about vintage Fenders, and like my MIJ Fenders just the way they are.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Depends on what kind of buzz you're talking about (no pun intended). You may have a buzzing fret which needs filing, or you may need a truss rod adjustment, or maybe your strings are too close to one of the pickups. I'd take it to a good repairman and have him look it over, before doing anything like changing the pickups. If he advises you you've got a bummed out pickup, that's a different matter. Sometimes the wire breaks inside the pickup, and depending on how close it is to the outside of the winding, it can be unwound and clipped without too much problem. If it's further inside, you'll need a new pickup. Copper wire gets brittle with age, just like everything else. This is why your guitar needs to get acclimated to its new surroundings whenever you play it. However, if your pickup's bummed-out, you'll usually get periods of silence to go along with your buzz. Check your cord. It could be a bad connection there.
So, as you see, a visit to a repairman is a good idea. You may have something he can fix for $25... which is a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle than changing your pickups.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM

THIS is IMO sound advice!!!

Quote:
Depends on what kind of buzz you're talking about (no pun intended). You may have a buzzing fret which needs filing, or you may need a truss rod adjustment, or maybe your strings are too close to one of the pickups. I'd take it to a good repairman and have him look it over, before doing anything like changing the pickups. If he advises you you've got a bummed out pickup, that's a different matter. Sometimes the wire breaks inside the pickup, and depending on how close it is to the outside of the winding, it can be unwound and clipped without too much problem. If it's further inside, you'll need a new pickup. Copper wire gets brittle with age, just like everything else. This is why your guitar needs to get acclimated to its new surroundings whenever you play it. However, if your pickup's bummed-out, you'll usually get periods of silence to go along with your buzz. Check your cord. It could be a bad connection there.
So, as you see, a visit to a repairman is a good idea. You may have something he can fix for $25... which is a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle than changing your pickups.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Hum

Sorry, I should have clarified that it's definitely the dreaded 60 cycle hum.

Last edited by rjames1973; 08-13-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: NA
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM

OK, if it's line noise that's easily fixed. Just turn off any flourescent lights, any TV's, air conditioners, computers, or other appliances that make a lot of noise when you play. Alternatively, try plugging your amp into a different outlet -- that might solve all your problems. Single-coil pickups are vulnerable to any line noise. That's their drawback.
Fender guitars are notoriously poorly shielded. Ask your repairman to install some shielding tape into the pickup and control cavities. Costs about $35-$50, depending on who's doing it. It's a lot simpler than changing your pickups, and should solve most of your problems.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:02 AM

More Sound advice...

Quote:
OK, if it's line noise that's easily fixed. Just turn off any flourescent lights, any TV's, air conditioners, computers, or other appliances that make a lot of noise when you play. Alternatively, try plugging your amp into a different outlet -- that might solve all your problems. Single-coil pickups are vulnerable to any line noise. That's their drawback.
Fender guitars are notoriously poorly shielded. Ask your repairman to install some shielding tape into the pickup and control cavities. Costs about $35-$50, depending on who's doing it. It's a lot simpler than changing your pickups, and should solve most of your problems.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Re:

Thanks, zabdart. I will definitely do that.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Fender Hot Noiseless or Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless would be excellent pickup choices. Those MIJ Fenders were really nice except for the pickups. I wouldn't make any other changes to the instrument.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Different model, but my luthier tells me that my MIJ '62 custom telecaster is nicer than any USA re-issue of the same model. That being said, I wouldn't trade my '87 American standard strat for anything
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
Different model, but my luthier tells me that my MIJ '62 custom telecaster is nicer than any USA re-issue of the same model. That being said, I wouldn't trade my '87 American standard strat for anything
The same is true of my '62 MIJ custom Tele. Really nice guitar, with better pickups than anything Fender was using during the CBS-era.
Like I say, I'm snobbish about vintage-era Fenders and their "reissues." The MIJ Fenders of the mid-80's did it right and got as close to Leo's original specs as they could. Everything that's come out of California since then has changed something, in order to be more trendy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars