The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Conrad Guitar

I own a Conrad acoustic guitar that I bought second hand in 1978 or 1979 when it was about one year old. I am finally upgrading to a Taylor and am trying to find ought what I can about this instrument before I put it up for sale.
It is a Model 40214, SN 97371, with a spruce top and what looks to be mahogany sides and back. I think the top is solid but am not sure. The guitar came with an adjustable bridge which I had removed and fitted it with a bone saddle.
Can anyone shed any light on this guitar or give me an estimate of its worth? Two small knicks but other than that it is in great shape.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM

Welcome to the AGF family, Ken! Glad you've joined us.

I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about your Conrad, but I can tell you that many of us have regretted getting rid of our beloved first guitars. I'd recommend keeping your old friend, giving it a place of honor even when it is replaced as your daily player.

cotten
Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Musical minimalist

I found a site that has a Conrad catalogue from the 70's listed.
It appears if you join the site and login, you can view the pages....maybe you can obtain some info that way....
Looks like it was a Japanese company...

http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_japanese_conrad.htm

Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

A number of different kinds of instruments were made in Japan in the 40s-70s (and maybe later) under the Conrad brand name. A friend of mine had a nice all black Conrad guitar in the late 70s. Until recently, I had a Conrad banjo that I picked up in the 70s. They are generally regarded as good quality entry/intermediate level instruments. Most were not particularly expensive when new. If you watch eBay you can probably get an idea of what used ones are going for now.

Best of luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Subscription????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I found a site that has a Conrad catalogue from the 70's listed.
It appears if you join the site and login, you can view the pages....maybe you can obtain some info that way....
Looks like it was a Japanese company...

http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_japanese_conrad.htm
Thanks very much!!!!

However, the money hungry jerks at that site want you to pay a monthly subscription! Good luck with that, chaps.

Not to moan and groan, but I certainly wouldn't want to profit from something of that nature. I have plenty of catalogs from a different industry that I gleefully shared with anyone and everyone who wanted it. And why not? There is too much info on current gear, and rare items like these need to live on. Live, I say, Live!

:-)

Bad Karma, to those guys.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Default Conrad

You can tell if the top is solid by looking at the edge of the soundhole. If its solid you'll see the edge of the grain. If its laminate you'll see the individual layers.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Conrad Guitar Model 40140

I also have a Conrad Guitar that I bought in the early 70's. It's a model 40140and is in excellent condition. Have you found any info on these anywhere?
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion