The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Egnator Rebel 20 - have experience with one?

As always, thank you in advance to all the terrific people that read and respond here.

I play in a contemporary Christian band at church and mic my amp and 20 Watts is plenty of amp for my purposes. I was at GC looking at a Fender Blues Junior (tweed w/Jensen speaker) and I was given a demo of an Egnator Rebel-20 and Rebel-112X cab (Celestion Elite 80 speaker). I was really impressed with the sound and wide ranging capabilities of the head. It has 7 Groove Tubes and an innovative "Tube Mix" pot than enables you to dial in some cool combinations of the 6V6 and EL84 tubes (all of either or a mix). It also has a "Watts" pot that enables you to essentially adjust the wattage from 1 to 20. So in low volume situations one can dial in the appropriate settings for a nice tubey sound. In other words, the amps sweet spot is really anywhere, or so it would seem. The gain (crunch) is pretty impressive, although I use individual FX pedals. It's got some other cool stuff too, and for the price, I was impressed. Plus it has an FX loop, but no foot switch capability. It's portable too.

Here's my dilemma; the Blues Jr. is a known to me and the Egnater isn't. But I'm intrigued by the functionality and wide ranging sounds that the Rebel-20 produces. Online reviews are mostly positive but I don't know how much I can trust those...and this is where you good folks come in.

Does anyone here own one? Anyone with any experience with these? Does anyone know someone who has one?

Any info is greatly appreciated....vbf
Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 PM

I don't own it, but I've demoed it. You can get some good sounds from it. However, even at the lowest "Watt" setting, it'll still be gig loud. The Watt control just lowers your "clean headroom." If you ever need pristine clean at gig volume, the Rebel may not deliver.

Other than that, you can pretty much trust the reviews.

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
.tom the übergeek

I am a huge fan of 6V6 tubes so this one is on my radar screen. I am very impressed with the reviews I have read and people are loving it for both gigging and bedroom practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification