The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Default general electric guitar qestion

Hi all, Although I've been a member of the AGF for many years this is my first electric guitar post and I am a little embarrassed to ask it because it is so basic. I have an electric guitar (Crestline) with one pickup and a VOX Pathfinder 15R amp. The guitar has a 3 position switch. No matter how I set the gain, volume, etc. there is always a hum so I assume that's why we have humbuckers. I just have to live with the hum correct? There's no way to reduce it other than getting humbuckers? Truth is it is enough to discourage me from playing the guitar. Jeff B
Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Depending on the type of pickup there are some things you can do.

I wrapped "Strat" pickups with copper tape over the cloth tape, grounded it to the negative lead and then applied copper tape on the pick guard and in the routes grounding all of them. My Strat was pretty quiet. You can also make sure you're using a decent guitar cord and that your amp has a 3 prong plug.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

You might want to repost on the Electric Guitars sub-forum. Maybe get more responses over there?

Nothing to add re your question. I'm not smart about these sortsa issues.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Either more shielding in the guitar, a switch to a noiseless (stacked humbucker), or a noise gate pedal can help tame that hum. Make sure your power outlet is wired right with a solid ground connection, too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Most amps have switches to flip the ground line or make it "float" to separate ground hum. Check for that.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like a grounding /shielding problem with the pickup. Get some foil shielding tape and use it to line the inside of the pickup cavity of the guitar. I would also solder in an extra ground wire from the pickup to the shielding you just added. That should really help. Also excessive humming usually comes from a cheaply made pickup so upgrading it would probably help immensely. Ultimately you're going to have some hum from a single coil pickup, that's why humbuckers were invented. Most of the time any hum you hear when not playing the guitar can be killed just by laying your hand across the strings.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 PM

Electrically speaking...hum can come from a LOT of places. Yes, the guitar and single coil pickups and lack of shielding are huge. But, so are cheap cables and florescent lighting. Does it vary when you take a couple steps? I'd suspect pickups and a lot of hum generators in the room (any motor, CF lights, etc.)

Shielding the guitar is a for sure step, but better pickups and pristine cables are the better route. Most amps today are polarized with respect to power and you're not likely going to see a polarity switch.

Cheers!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Try rotating your position so that the guitar points in different directions relative to your amp or the wiring in the room, computer, or whatever may be present. Often you can find a sweet spot where the hum all but disappears.

It's simplest possible cause and solution, so the first you should try, like checking to see if the TV is plugged in before you call the repairman!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
Try rotating your position so that the guitar points in different directions relative to your amp or the wiring in the room, computer, or whatever may be present. Often you can find a sweet spot where the hum all but disappears.
Agreed. Of the many possible/probable causes for hum, this one is really common--especially when you sit and play really close to the amp, or facing it. I've gone from annoying hum to near-whisper quiet by just turning 45 degrees or taking a step back.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
Agreed. Of the many possible/probable causes for hum, this one is really common--especially when you sit and play really close to the amp, or facing it. I've gone from annoying hum to near-whisper quiet by just turning 45 degrees or taking a step back.
Absolutely. The transformers in tube amps can be huge sources of hum - one time many years ago I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why my strat was humming so much worse than usual. I was sitting right in front of the amp - and it was picking up the hum from those huge transformers (on a 60W tube combo).
Old 12-01-2014, 02:30 PM

I had a bunch of unexpected humm from my Tele the other day. I've got a pile of guitar cables and had pulled one out at random. The 90-degree plug didn't fit into the jack well, there was some movement (in-out), swapped it out the other way and the straight plug fit securely, no more hum.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM

I'm confused, if the guitar has one pickup why does it have a 3 way switch?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
good question!!

another possibility could be a loose connection between the pickup and the pot(s).

i've also found a lot of noise when i have my strat near my computer.

a lot of good suggestions have been mentioned to try.

here is a history of crestline guitars. note that this is from the internet.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5066425_cr...r-history.html
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
general electric guitar question
I didn't know they made guitars...................
Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The classic example of this is the Fender Esquire, the one pickup version of the Telecaster that's older than the Telecaster name. The first part of this is a better explanation than I can give-- http://www.fender.com/news/the-esquire-pickup-switch/

There really is a big difference between the three. I never had any use for the third "low bassy" idea, but there really is a big difference obtained just by bypassing the tone control. A pot will reduce the high frequencies even when turned all the way up to ten. Or eleven even.

Modders have come up with different uses for a multiple position switch on one pickup. One obvious example is to split the coil of a humbucker, giving the option of a single coil sound, using a position on a switch. This is obtainable other ways, a push pull pot is a common one, but a spot on a selector switch is a good simple solution. Or a coil tap, which gives you different tone qualities by eliminating some of the winds of a pickup when engaged.

You can also have a three position switch and only use two of them leaving one as s dummy position, if you only have use for two options.

Last edited by stevieboy; 12-01-2014 at 10:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars