The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Default Pedal tuner

My Boss TU-2 finally broke, after like 15 years of unkind use: 2-3 gigs a month, church weekly, etc.

What'd be the best replacement? The TU-3? Something else? I am not sure I want to go all the way up to the Peterson, but to be honest I always have to do extra little tweaks when I am done, either to this or to the Intellitouch, Snark & other models that I have had. So the strobe thing does interest me.

Oddly enough I really like the Cleartune app I put on my iPhone...

Thanks folks: this forum is always such a great resource.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
My Boss TU-2 finally broke, after like 15 years of unkind use: 2-3 gigs a month, church weekly, etc.

What'd be the best replacement? The TU-3? Something else? I am not sure I want to go all the way up to the Peterson, but to be honest I always have to do extra little tweaks when I am done, either to this or to the Intellitouch, Snark & other models that I have had. So the strobe thing does interest me.

Oddly enough I really like the Cleartune app I put on my iPhone...

Thanks folks: this forum is always such a great resource.
Hi semolinapilcher...

I love my TC-Polytune 2. It will operate on a 9v battery, but in reality needs a power supply (it will eat a battery on a Sunday). Very fast and accurate for both electric and acoustic.

The reason they eat batteries so fast is the high voltage requirement to remain operational. It's worth having a power supply.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I've been using a Korg Pitchblack for two years or so now and it is great. Easy to see, gets the guitar nicely in tune. Has several modes including I believe a strobe mode.

I run it off 9v batteries no problem.

-Mike
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I have a TU-something or other and the Pitchblack. Have to say, for as many years as I've loved the Boss tuners, the Pitchblack got the call to go on my main pedalboard. It's just so bright and clear.

(I hear very good things about the TC Polytunes, too. TC make great pedals.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I have a TU-something or other and the Pitchblack. Have to say, for as many years as I've loved the Boss tuners, the Pitchblack got the call to go on my main pedalboard. It's just so bright and clear.

(I hear very good things about the TC Polytunes, too. TC make great pedals.
Hi DA...

I'm thinking it's a good day to want/need a pedal tuner.

The TC-Polytune is fast, accurate, and operated in two modes including one where you just strum all the strings and it shows you all 6 at once and whether they are in tune, sharp or flat individually.

I don't use that mode, but the strobe mode. It's very fast and very accurate. Since I use it for electric guitar, it's no biggie to supply power supply to it via my Brick.

I actually still own a working 19" rack-mount Korg (single space rack mount) which we used with our band. I loved it because it was accurate, and I could tune from 15 feet away from it on a dark stage.

The issue for me is it's a 19" single space rack unit. I don't need or use racks any more.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]... you just strum all the strings and it shows you all 6 at once and whether they are in tune, sharp or flat individually
Which is alchemy as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I played with a Les Paul, a couple of months ago, that had the min-E-Tune tuners... now THAT is freaky. Like, flying faders freaky. They do seem to have come a long way with that technology.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Which is alchemy as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I played with a Les Paul, a couple of months ago, that had the min-E-Tune tuners... now THAT is freaky. Like, flying faders freaky. They do seem to have come a long way with that technology.
Hi DA...
It's a little magic the first time you see it.

There are so many great choices in floor tuners these days, I'm pretty sure there is not a 'best' we can get a consensus on. Even the old reliable all-metal Fender floor model works just fine.

Actually I don't have a pedal board. I run my 2 pedals from a little tray which is mounted about waist high on a mic stand next to me. I only use the tuner and a chorus pedal (which I'm readjusting all day long).

And on some days, I just go with the chorus and a Snark clipped to the headstock. Full 90 minute or 2 hour gigs, I'll use a more serious tuner, but short ones, the Snark is all I need/want.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-27-2014, 02:51 AM

Default Pedal tuner

Another vote for the TC Polytune. I have version one so I can't comment on version 2. Pedal tuners are great too for muting the input if and when changing guitars. I recently used my Pz-pre as a way of equalling levels on the 2 electrics I was using at that concert so the Polytune was connected to the preamp's tuner out and was on all the time - I used the preamp's mute function instead.

I find the Polytune easy to use live and it has settings for drop-D, capo and even 4, 5 and 6-string bass (for the poly-functions). And as Larry says, don't even hesitate over batteries, use a 9v power supply - it will even daisy-chain the supply to the next 9v pedal in the chain.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-27-2014, 08:09 AM

One I can certainly not recommend is the Matrix Boss knock-off. I bought one years ago since it seems rugged (it is) and performs well (it does). But in my rack system, cutting it on puts noise into my system through the shared power supply to my pedal board. My Boss TU does not do that.

Not any help, but perhaps it will keep you from purchasing a noisy tuner! Good Luck!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM

I've owned a TU-2 and loved it. So of course, I sold it...
Then I bought a Poly tune 2 but I got a lemon- it always made a loud Pop when activted, so I returbed it to GC.
Now, I'm back to Boss but now have, and love, a TU3. Great tuner!

Best,
PJ
Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Another vote for the TU-3. Plus, the buffer helps eliminate "pops" when switching acoustic guitars w/ active preamps that often occur with non-buffered/true bypass tuners.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:46 PM

I would look at Turbo Tuners.
I own the floor model and the hand held model ( which comes with presets, ex. pedal steel guitar)
Once you go strobe, you won't go back.
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 11-27-2014, 09:53 PM

I been thru a few tuners. I play outdoors a lot and the Boss Tu-3 is visible in direct sunlight and is accurate. I might try the polytune again now that the 2 is released.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 AM

If you were happy with the Boss TU-2, consider looking at ebay or craigslist for a used one. There are quite a few in the classifieds.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I'll add my recommendation for TC's Polytune 2. Very fast, accurate and bright. For some reason, I'm not having the same battery eating experience Larry describes. My original 9v battery is still going strong after at least 25 rehearsals/sets. (No other power source is being used)

In regard to the popping noise when toggling the pedal: I found that putting the Polytune in the effects loop of my Red Eye preamp eliminaes the popping.

Tim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification