The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Default BBE Sonic Stomp

This is an interesting pedal to use with acoustic instruments (guitar and uke for me). The ad blurb on Musician's Friend describes it this way:

Sonic Stomp’s application of the BBE technology is just like its big brothers, using frequency-dependent time alignment with integrated amplitude compensation. What’s all that about? Simply put, it helps a speaker more faithfully reproduce the signal so more of the nuance and detail is revealed. Sonic Stomp is not an effect but a tool to allow more of your tone to reach the ears of your audience – and yours.

To my ear, it enriches the tone without adding artificial color.

It was introduced to me by Lucas Michailidis, who uses one live (his only effect):

In talking with him, it is evident that he likes the way it both clarifies and thickens up his tone. I find it can help reduce boominess by dialing down the Low Contour and also add nice sparkle with the Process knob.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 AM

I love my BBE Acoustimax with Sonic Maximizer as a preamp between my K&K mini - equipped guitars and my Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Epiphone Dot
Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM

From my understanding, what it claims to do is eliminate what is called envelope distortion. Envelope distortion is essentially the name given to how different frequencies reach your ear at different time because of the way speaker technology works.

Most reviews I have read for it have been bad, but most reviewers were electric guitar players. Envelope distortion has always been a part of that sound, so it was fixing what wasn't broken. However, an unamplified acoustic doesn't have envelope distortion, and the ideal for amplification has always been "your guitar but louder".

I have no experience with it yet, but it is one of the pedals I am looking forward to trying out at some point.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:25 PM

I had one on my pedalboard when I want a real crispy tight clarity kind of sound on my electric through an old 1959 amp that just could not get there due to its age I guess. That and a GE7 made it work real good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification