The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Default RC-3, RC-30, or RC-20XL Looper?

I'm looking to get a loop pedal, and I want something that's not too complicated, has good sound quality, and that I can eventually use for solo gigs. I've been looking at the Boss RC line, and I'm having trouble determining what the differences are exactly between the various products. From what I've gathered from youtube videos, the RC-3 looks like it would probably meet my needs but I've heard that the double pedal loopers are better for live performance. Would anybody be able to tell me why this is so? The RC-3 would be more cost-effective for me at the moment, although I'm also considering getting a used RC-20XL which likely wouldn't be any more expensive than a new RC-30. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel271 View Post
I'm looking to get a loop pedal, and I want something that's not too complicated, has good sound quality, and that I can eventually use for solo gigs. I've been looking at the Boss RC line, and I'm having trouble determining what the differences are exactly between the various products. From what I've gathered from youtube videos, the RC-3 looks like it would probably meet my needs but I've heard that the double pedal loopers are better for live performance. Would anybody be able to tell me why this is so? The RC-3 would be more cost-effective for me at the moment, although I'm also considering getting a used RC-20XL which likely wouldn't be any more expensive than a new RC-30. Any advice is appreciated.
Because, with the single pedal loopers, you need to press twice on the pedal to stop a loop. You really need to try it out because this can be difficult to do spontaneously in a live situation when you are concentrating on many other things.

No doubt you will get lots of user coming on here and saying they have no issues with the double press to stop method ... good for them ... but it is a well enough documented problem to warrant you trying it out yourself.

Another looper to consider is the newer Ditto X2 from TC Electronics.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel271 View Post
Hi daniel...

The RC-20XL will be far more useful than an RC-3. I've been using an RC-20XL for years, and they are easy to use, and the second pedal brings a lot of additional function to it's usefulness and flexibility.

The adjustability of the input/output volumes is better on the RC-20XL, and having a stop pedal which then you can just stand on to kill the loop is far better than having to restart the loop, then stomp-n-hold for 3 seconds (RC-3) to kill it.

I tried to get by with the scaled down RC-3 (single pedal) looper, and in 2 gigs was back with the RC-20XL. You could add pedals to the RC-3, but then it's not simple any more once you start adding things to it.

Just my take on them. I've never found a compelling reason to upgrade to the RC-30 over my RC-20XL. For what I'm doing it hits the sweet spot.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM

I've got a single button TC looper (the newer one). It's great at home for messing around, but the double-tap off is very limiting in a performance situation. I would get tied up on the double-tap and I know it would mess up any song.

The looper for an acoustic solo performance can be a huge benefit and fill the room with amazing sounds. I will be purchasing a double-pedal looper for any performance.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

the Ditto X2, is easy to use and it sounds good. definitely go with a two button pedal. The Digitech Jamman is also very good but will only work with ac adapter.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
I've got a single button TC looper (the newer one). It's great at home for messing around, but the double-tap off is very limiting in a performance situation. I would get tied up on the double-tap and I know it would mess up any song.

The looper for an acoustic solo performance can be a huge benefit and fill the room with amazing sounds. I will be purchasing a double-pedal looper for any performance.
I thought the new TC had an internal programmable switch so you could make it into, essentially, a double-button looper (so that playback does not automatically start when you hit the "stop" (or end-loop) button...

But yes, to the OP, check out other threads here on loopers -- lots of good info on why the double-button loop is better!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

...i used an rc20 xl for years....foolishly sold it and now use a jam man solo xt because its small and fits on my pedal board....the rc 20XL is big but its features are worth it....storing loops is a great feature for working on parts and the large foot pads are easier to use than standard size foot switches....at least for my triple e dogs anyway...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 PM

I have an RC2. Would the addition of a FS5U foot switch make it like a two-pedal looper? At the very least it would allow a single tap stop.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I have an RC2. Would the addition of a FS5U foot switch make it like a two-pedal looper? At the very least it would allow a single tap stop.
Sending this back to the top in hopes of getting a reply. Does adding the FS5U footswitch to the RC2 add anything beyond the ability to stop the loop with a single push? From my reading of the manual, it appears that you have to add two of the latching FS5L in order to emulate the functions of the dual-footswitch RC20XL.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I thought the new TC had an internal programmable switch so you could make it into, essentially, a double-button looper (so that playback does not automatically start when you hit the "stop" (or end-loop) button...

But yes, to the OP, check out other threads here on loopers -- lots of good info on why the double-button loop is better!
On the Ditto X2, it's not internal, it's on the top surface, and can set the right button to 'stop' function. Hoping for one under the Xmas tree this year!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM

Default Help w/ Boss RC-3 pedal

Don't mean to high jack this thread but can't figure out how to start a new thread. Hoping someone can help with that and the question below.

Question:

My new Boss RC-3 loop pedal just arrived. I'm still trying to figure everything out but right off the bat I am not hearing my guitar during record or playback.
All volume controls are turned up (on guitar, peddle and amp). When I try to play the loop back (while trying to troubleshoot the issue) I hear the guitar faintly through the amp.

My guitar is plugged into the A input on the peddle and amp is plugged into the A output on the peddle. Power to the peddle is from a/c adapter (not battery power). What a I missing or doing incorrectly. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 AM

I use the RC3 for everything. I think LJ has the most experience here with using loopers for pro work but I will add one comment.

Never use the RC3 without the FSU5 footswitch. I actually use 2 of them.

The footswitch lets you clear the performance on the fly, provides a single stop switch and can be used to set a tap tempo if you wish to use the drum sounds. The second footswitch lets you advance through the patches or go backwards patch by patch. This would let you pre program some grooves, save them, and then just move to them with the footswitch. They cost 30 bucks.

I would say never use the RC3 without the footswitch. It really is necessary.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 AM

I have given up on looping. I agree a two footswitch pedal is closer to usable and double tapping a single footswitch is hard to master. My problem is keeping my timing even until the end of the recorded loop. Not a problem that often, but often enough that I won't gig with one. Live looping is an art that must be practiced!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 AM

On the rc3 the trick to the double tap is to hit it first on the 4 and again on the 1, you have a second or so for the second tap, it works for us anyhow also if you're having trouble getting it to sync up right when using it normally try pushing the button on the 1 of the next measure, my partner kept trying to stop it after the 4 but before the 1 or on the 4 to no avail and it kept him from using it.

Last edited by UncleBill; 05-07-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Can't imagine why anyone would get a single-button looper and then buy a second foot switch unit. If at all possible, just get a double-button looper to begin with!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
boss, looper, pedal